bit-gamer.net

Resident Evil 5

Comments 26 to 37 of 37

Reply
Bindibadgi 11th March 2009, 22:10 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddywinks
Can't shoot while moving? Pass. I would rather not have the game artificially made more difficult by a several generation old limitation. And you can say that is what Resi has always done, and I would agree; but this time it is not a horror game. It is an action game. And they have managed to drop the ball terribly.

That's the most realistic part of it - it's not quake, you have to spend time aiming!! I dare you to try it in real life and watch your wrists or arms turn to jelly and fire in all directions. It creates suspense - it's action horror, not "Army of Two".
Mr T 11th March 2009, 22:20 Quote
Quote:
To: Danny
Your order for Resident Evil 5 has been posted.

Yay :)
dinjo_jo 12th March 2009, 04:03 Quote
Does anyone knows the PC Version Release date ?
buggerlugz 12th March 2009, 11:24 Quote
Having played the 360 version I've got to say I'm very unimpressed. It plays like a bunch of pre-rendered set pieces leaving you wondering why you should be arsed to carry on playing. It amazes me IGN gave this 9/10. I'd give it a 6 at a push. There is really nothing noticable which makes this a worth while addition to my collection.
wafflesomd 12th March 2009, 16:24 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddywinks
Can't shoot while moving? Pass. I would rather not have the game artificially made more difficult by a several generation old limitation. And you can say that is what Resi has always done, and I would agree;.

No you wouldn't. You literally just said "Pass" due to the fact that you can't move and shoot.

I never enjoyed the RE series up until 4. RE games were never scary, nor fun for me. They felt, boring. I felt that RE4 was a step in the right direction.

I'll be picking up RE5 and enjoying it, as I don't see not being able to move and shoot, something that should be done away with due to generation. Mostly because that argument sucks.
UrbanMarine 12th March 2009, 16:42 Quote
People don't want to have to think in games these days. RE cut out story (journals, notes & main story), mystery and puzzles (required a little logic to figure out. Not just run pick up run place in slot).
Skiddywinks 12th March 2009, 23:36 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddywinks
Can't shoot while moving? Pass. I would rather not have the game artificially made more difficult by a several generation old limitation. And you can say that is what Resi has always done, and I would agree; but this time it is not a horror game. It is an action game. And they have managed to drop the ball terribly.


Not being able to move and shoot does feel a little dated I agree but, RE4 wasn't a horror game either it was just as much action survival.
Plus personally I think we'd just end up having an average third person shooter if they changed to say gears controls.

Having said that Dead space's controls might work okay

It isn't even that it is dated that bothers me. They have had to change the AI of the enemies so that it doesn't make it impossible. You can easily see the mobs all running straight for you, before arriving only to stop and start a slow attack animation. It's like wth. It totally kills immersion.

The stupid little things that have been left in the final build are things that should be sorted out first. I should definitely be able to pick up some ammo and put it straight in a gun, or pick somehting up and combine it instantly.

Not only that, but the AI for when you are not playing co-op is as intelligent as a toilet seat. Sheva handing back items you gave her to save space, because you can't drop them or they disappear forever! They give you an awkward inventory, and then screw you over even more that you can't drop things and pick them up again! Add to that the fact you have to use the inventory whilst in gameplay, and you have things being far to complicated and awkward when in fact the solutions are so simple they should have been done perfectly.

Of course, all of this awkwardness is balanced by the fact you can run away from almost anything and have time to shoot it or heal, and when it gets near, repeat. There is no tension anymore. No scares. No horror. They have made an action game that uses obselete and totally incompatible survival horror mechanics. It is a mess. Which is a massive shame because the game looks gorgeous, and I love the Resident Evil story.
Skiddywinks 12th March 2009, 23:43 Quote
And I said "Pass" this time, because it could be forgiven in the days of gamecube when it was a brand new angle for RE to take. Now they are trying to make it even more actiony, but still clinging to the archaic mechanics RE was known for, whilst changing all of the things people loved about RE.

And Bindibadgi, are you seriously arguing about realism to defend a game as crazy as an RE game? First of all, irony, but secon of all, and my actual point, is that realism is not fun. Even the most realistic games have several sacrifices to make them an interesting game. A game should first and foremost be intuitive, immersive, innovative if possible, and easy and fun to control and play. If they can do this whilst making it realistic (where it can be implemented well), then I am all for it.

This is not the case with RE5. And you can make a point about it being about realism, but it clearly wasn't implemented as such for that purpose. It is just laziness and/or a lack of will to move on, even though they have already taken RE into a totally different direction.

Just for the record, I love RE. I loved RE4. But RE5 just seems like they are pushing how far they can get away without a major rehaul of such an old control method.
Isotopian 13th March 2009, 03:11 Quote
The stand and shoot bit really bothers me as well. I understand the reasoning behind it, but hey, if they're westernizing the game, well, don't hold back on gameplay elements! It kind of reminds me of Perfect Dark Zero - "hey, well, you couldn't jump in the N64 version either!" "Well, this isn't a Nintendo 64."
wafflesomd 13th March 2009, 18:39 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddywinks
And I said "Pass" this time, because it could be forgiven in the days of gamecube when it was a brand new angle for RE to take. Now they are trying to make it even more actiony, but still clinging to the archaic mechanics RE was known for, whilst changing all of the things people loved about RE.

So it was ok for them to change it but its not ok for them to change it?

Gotcha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddywinks

Just for the record, I love RE. I loved RE4. But RE5 just seems like they are pushing how far they can get away without a major rehaul of such an old control method.


WTF, I can't make sense out of half the stuff you say.

Oh, I see. It was ok to use those controls because RE4 had a 4 in it. This however is unacceptable because RE5 has a 5 in it.

It's always the numbers that get you.

"Just take my vague and contradictory orders and turn them into something I want" - Stan.
krotch 16th March 2009, 17:22 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosDefinesOrder
are all those images in this article screenshots from the game or pre-renders from a press pack? If the former than damn that's some pretty stunning graphics!

Slightly gory/morbid question, but is there proper damge modelling in this game? a couple of the images show chunks missing from sides, apparently lining up with the weapon's barrel - if you shoot a zombie in the side, does a chunk go missing?

I'm on Chpt 4-2 (I think). The images look like what you'll see when you play. About the only damage you'll see is heads blowing off when you execute a headshot with a high dmg weapon, like your pistol. The submachine gun won't do it. Now there are certain enemies that walk around with a spear and shield. As you shoot the shield, it breaks apart at the locations you shoot. Also some wear face masks. Shoot the mask, it breaks. Aside from those things, the damaged look is just part of the character's skin.
krotch 16th March 2009, 17:34 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjhujh
In the Demo I found Sheva to be useless... She got me killed on more than one occasion... I might just get a gamecube and Resi 4 agian, that game was awsome...

The Demo must have had a horrible AI, as Sheva is extremely helpful. You can give her 2 commands. Attack or Cover. On Attack, she'll use her most powerful weapon in her inventory and blast away at any zombie-ish ppl. On Cover, she'll use her handgun and watch your back.

I have her set to shoot randomly. Means she'll shoot whatever enemy she feels like. Which is usually the enemy that's behind me. I don't watch my back enough. You can also set her to atk the same enemy that you atk. I didn't bother, as I like her watching my back.

I also use her as a storage mule. I load her with a hangun, rifle, ammo, and health sprays. She'll heal me when I need it, revive me when I need it, and so on. She also likes to randomly hand me ammo that doesn't match her weapons, but matches mine.

She's always healing or reviving me, while I once in a while do it for her. The zombies like me more than her.

She doesn't get me killed, but she can be annoying by running up in front of me. Causing me to have a terrible shot or just force me to move her out of the way. Thank god heal sprays and herbs work on both characters at the same time. I don't need 2 health sprays for each of us She's definitely worth keeping. But I still think Jill Valentine is much hotter.
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums