bit-gamer.net

Sony PlayStation 3

Comments 1 to 25 of 63

Reply
DougEdey 30th March 2007, 15:27 Quote
Aria are doing it for £399, if you're a student you can get it for £382.50
Tim S 30th March 2007, 15:34 Quote
it's about NT$18,500 (285 squid) out here in Taiwan... makes me want to buy one, but I don't have the time and I also don't have an HDTV either. :(
Mankz 30th March 2007, 15:38 Quote
We've had one at school for 4 months, someone 'imported' one from Japan.

However, I don't think its as impressive as when i first saw what 8800 GTX SLi running on a 30"...
Duste 30th March 2007, 15:39 Quote
I definitely think Sony redeemed themselves with the final release of the Playstation 3, especially with all the delays. However, I'm a bit disappointed at the look of the controller - it just doesn't match the console itself. The console looks very futuristic, but the controller looks...retro.
BioSniper 30th March 2007, 15:43 Quote
There are several errors in this article but the main one is:
Quote:
This means that you can buy any game, from any region and play it in any machine, from any region. This is the way things should be -- Microsoft and Nintendo please take note!

Yes the Wii is region locked, but the 360 technically isn't.
That's developers choice as to whether they want to do that or not and as such MS shouldn't be blamed. There are also very few 360 games that are region locked (at least I have yet to find any that I want that are).
r4tch3t 30th March 2007, 15:47 Quote
Deja Vu, but then again thats what happens when you read both.
Nice review, and Tim, get on anyways, you will get a HDTV eventually anyway, and for the price, well theres no ROB to rob you.
Krikkit 30th March 2007, 15:50 Quote
Great article, which sums up exactly what's wrong with PS3 atm. I have no doubt that, once the price drops begin, people will be flooding to buy one, I know I'll be sorely tempted, even without an HDTV yet.

The other problem that I've found atm is the stigma. I've been in a couple of game shops these past few days, and talking to the people working there, they've nothing but hostility for the PS3, and love for the X360. I suspect a lot of people would've been put off by such a negative attitude.
vts 30th March 2007, 15:55 Quote
I'll Stick to Wii + 360. (speaking of which, when is the Elite out in the UK?)

By the time PS3 gets anything that actually uses it to full potential, the nex generation is going to be out. Sony are supposed to have a 10 year plan for the ps3, but i doubt that it will include 10 years of gaming.

I honestly also think that HD-DVD will beat Blue ray. and IPTV will beat those.
kempez 30th March 2007, 16:16 Quote
Very good balanced article. Well written and exactly what I think of the PS3 too actually. Thanks Tim good read
DougEdey 30th March 2007, 16:32 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim S
it's about NT$18,500 (285 squid) out here in Taiwan... makes me want to buy one, but I don't have the time and I also don't have an HDTV either. :(


***COFF**** PLAYASIA ***COFF***

What was that, sony say we can't import, I didn't post any links...
DarkLord7854 30th March 2007, 17:21 Quote
Good review though as good as it sounds, thre's no way I'm getting one.. Would be useless on my current TV whih is on par with a 10" LCD screen resolution :)
TheSaladMan 30th March 2007, 17:30 Quote
I'm so pissed about the HDCP, but it was to be expected, any news about a DVI cable for the PS3?

Other than that it does seem like a nice console and would sit nicely next to my 360.

I'm Surprised you didn't say anything about MotorStorm actually, it's supposed to be one of the best racing games money can buy at the moment.
Draven 30th March 2007, 18:18 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioSniper
There are several errors in this article but the main one is:


Yes the Wii is region locked, but the 360 technically isn't.
That's developers choice as to whether they want to do that or not and as such MS shouldn't be blamed. There are also very few 360 games that are region locked (at least I have yet to find any that I want that are).

The point you're missing is that developers are not ALLOWED to region code for the PlayStation 3. Yes, there are certain games on the X360 that aren't region coded, but are you willing to take the chance and order one without knowing one way or the other?

With the PS3 you can order anything you like from anywhere and it will work. With the X360 it's down to the developer and it's pot luck for you.

So therefore Microsoft is to blame, since it could have insisted that all games are unlocked like Sony did...
Draven 30th March 2007, 18:22 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSaladMan
I'm so pissed about the HDCP, but it was to be expected, any news about a DVI cable for the PS3?

Other than that it does seem like a nice console and would sit nicely next to my 360.

I'm Surprised you didn't say anything about MotorStorm actually, it's supposed to be one of the best racing games money can buy at the moment.

MotorStorm wasn't mentioned in the original PS3 review because a full review of the game was published on the same day. It's pretty good, but still not an "I'll buy this console to play that game" kind of title.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/gaming/review/2007/03/23/Motorstorm/p1
BioSniper 30th March 2007, 20:33 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven
The point you're missing is that developers are not ALLOWED to region code for the PlayStation 3. Yes, there are certain games on the X360 that aren't region coded, but are you willing to take the chance and order one without knowing one way or the other?

With the PS3 you can order anything you like from anywhere and it will work. With the X360 it's down to the developer and it's pot luck for you.

So therefore Microsoft is to blame, since it could have insisted that all games are unlocked like Sony did...


Coor, blimey, that sounds like some serious Sony fanboyage.
Ok, so maybe I missed the point slightly however the article didn't exactly make it clear that that was the intention.
Also you if you purchase from a good abroad retailer (like play-asia) they will mostly tell you if it's region coded or not.
Though I do agree that dev's shouldn't be allowed to put region coding on things. Mind you though, most of the 360 games so far have been region free from what I can tell.
atanum141 30th March 2007, 20:52 Quote
on play asia it does state weather the games for 360 and PS£ have any protection on them, alot of big titles don't.

Nice to see i can get a 20gig PS£ for £280-ish
koola 30th March 2007, 21:30 Quote
I'll stick to my X360 and PC I think.

Am not impressed with it :(
Skill3d 30th March 2007, 22:28 Quote
well it's the cheapest blu ray player on the market at the moment... and these ps3's sell like crazy at the store where i work....
Kinda funny a guy asked today if we had the silver ps3 o_0 (I said I would paint it for him for €50 ;) )
Cthippo 30th March 2007, 22:36 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skill3d
Kinda funny a guy asked today if we had the silver ps3 o_0 (I said I would paint it for him for €50 ;) )

You should have said "You mean the Xbox 360?"

Just proves what PT Barnum said about the procreational rate of fools.
LVMike 30th March 2007, 22:59 Quote
my biggest gripe is the weight of the controller, it feels like a feather in your hands. I orefer a little more weight to my controller, that and the lack of rumble and the gimickiness (sp) of the six axis mothion controll.every time i use it i look like im having spasms.

The lack of dedicated games is a strike aganst, im mean Icon, AC4, CD3, Gta4, SCDA, MGS, they are all multi platform, unlike the ps2 were there were a lot of ps2 only games and that drove sales

between my flatmate's ps3 and my 360, i find us using the 360 a lot more for gaming and iptv, and the ps3 for our paltry BD movie collection.
DriftCarl 30th March 2007, 23:15 Quote
Great review.
I have never really read a proper PS3 review but after reading this I would probably buy one if I had any money at all. I dont have a TV though so it would cost me a bit more than the 400 odd quid for a ps3
phat-ant 31st March 2007, 02:16 Quote
I got to say I am semi pleased with the ps3 in my living room, the games are quite nice and the console is relatively quiet and fast.
I was hoping to be able to play some High-Def media streams but it would seem that Sony have limited the audio output of 3rd party files to 2.0 audio channels which is rather annoying when you have some 5.1 audio to blast out, and even under Linux the same problem continues.
Graphically I'm sure they will improve over time just as all consoles before it have. so far I have seen nothing that can rival my pc however the graphics card alone in my pc cost the same price as the whole ps3 so I don't consider the ps3 to be bad value when you look at it that way ;).
Blu-ray looks stunning which is the main reason I bought it, I have had a plasma TV for a while now and wanted to get some proper HD video on it and the blu-ray certainly delivers.
on the whole happy with it, and battery life on the controllers is excellent.
I look forward to further updates for it and more well made and optimized games to come for it.
automagsrock 31st March 2007, 06:47 Quote
Very well written article :)

As a very happy PS3 owner (I also own a 360 and a Wii so don't call me a fanboy just yet :)) I was very happy to see such an article like this. A lot of people on this website seemed to have a lot of hate for the PS3 and as one of the people who was kinda "eh" after actually buying one I can say that not only does it do well as a games console (which if you own a PS3, get Motorstorm. Seriously, it's soo much fun!) but after getting my new TV my regular DVDs look much better as well (due to upscaling) and blu-ray looks very nice as well.


I hope some of the nay-sayers will read this and give it a try, because if you sit and just continue to think the PS3 sucks then you will be missing out out oa a great piece of gaming and home entertainment hardware :)
JaredC01 31st March 2007, 06:54 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by automagsrock
Very well written article :)

As a very happy PS3 owner (I also own a 360 and a Wii so don't call me a fanboy just yet :)) I was very happy to see such an article like this. A lot of people on this website seemed to have a lot of hate for the PS3 and as one of the people who was kinda "eh" after actually buying one I can say that not only does it do well as a games console (which if you own a PS3, get Motorstorm. Seriously, it's soo much fun!) but after getting my new TV my regular DVDs look much better as well (due to upscaling) and blu-ray looks very nice as well.


I hope some of the nay-sayers will read this and give it a try, because if you sit and just continue to think the PS3 sucks then you will be missing out out oa a great piece of gaming and home entertainment hardware :)
I agree with what you've written, but as a former PS3 owner, I just can't justify what I'm getting for the cost of the machine. ESPECIALLY considering the PS3 can only output 480i over anything but HDMI when watching a Blue Ray movie. Without a TV with HDMI, then the fact that it can play Blue Ray disks is a moot point as the resolution you get to see the Blue Ray movies in is the exact same as a regular DVD. I'm with the majority of the people in the fact that I don't have a TV with HDMI, and therefore couldn't take advantage of the 1080p capabilities the PS3 has.

Buying the PS3 solely as a Blue Ray player isn't a bad choice, assuming the TV you will be hooking it up to has an HDMI port on it. I will personally be sticking with my Xbox 360 HD over VGA until I can afford to buy a new TV.
automagsrock 31st March 2007, 08:16 Quote
Agreed. I actually bought a new TV cause I wanted to use the HDMI output. I used S-Video for the first 2 weeks I owned it and once I got my new TV I got the new cable and everything is fantastic.


But I agree. If not using HDMI then there isn't much of an advantage to having the blu-ray drive. It's basically a fancy DVD player at that point.
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums