bit-gamer.net

Titanfall Review

Comments 1 to 25 of 29

Reply
monkiboi 17th March 2014, 22:36 Quote
Quote:
everyone knows that British and South African people are all horrible *******s who eat live kittens for breakfast and grow moustaches for the specific purpose of twirling them

Oh, I say!
bigc90210 17th March 2014, 23:25 Quote
interesting review, though no pc version graphics comparison?
SexyHyde 18th March 2014, 00:05 Quote
I may pick this up when it's £10~ as these types of games I only play for 30-40 hours before I get bored. I wanted to buy it this last weekend but the price was an instant turn off, the cheapest I found was a russian key code for just under £30 and the cheapest UK code was just shy of £35, normally new games can be had for £20-25. Due to this greed I will wait till its in the bargain bin or forego getting it altogether, who knows what the state of play will be like in the future. If you want to charge stupid price, at least stick it on steam.

Although I loved the verticality of the game, I didn't really enjoy the titan's, and by the end of the beta/demo I had enjoyed it but wasn't really craving any more. The multiplayer aspect isn't really there as almost all my friends have bypassed it completely.
Redbeaver 18th March 2014, 07:14 Quote
bought my copy off greenmangaming.com for $10 off, so it's $49.99USD.

can't u UK boys buy that and add the key to your Origin?

nice article btw. this game is choking the hell out of my sleeping hour.
the restriction with servers and mods are annoying, but it's far from stopping me from spending hours running parkour around burning metal and explosive robots... it's. that. good.

besides, it's not like they can't add those functionalities in.
GeorgeK 18th March 2014, 08:30 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyHyde
I may pick this up when it's £10~ as these types of games I only play for 30-40 hours before I get bored. I wanted to buy it this last weekend but the price was an instant turn off, the cheapest I found was a russian key code for just under £30 and the cheapest UK code was just shy of £35, normally new games can be had for £20-25. Due to this greed I will wait till its in the bargain bin or forego getting it altogether, who knows what the state of play will be like in the future. If you want to charge stupid price, at least stick it on steam.

Although I loved the verticality of the game, I didn't really enjoy the titan's, and by the end of the beta/demo I had enjoyed it but wasn't really craving any more. The multiplayer aspect isn't really there as almost all my friends have bypassed it completely.

I bought it from cdkeys.com - they had it for £25.99 - 5% for liking their facebook page. It's not that cheap now however but can be had for a shade under £30.
matee 18th March 2014, 08:47 Quote
http://www.keye.pl/games/product/id/19744/Titanfall-Titanfall-ENG
This is the site I use for my keys. Never had any problems with it (steam, origin and other keys).
Titanfall will set you back around £30 (I managed to grab it for £25 at preorder)
The store is in Polish, but I'm sure you can find someone who speaks the language or just google translate it.
Meanmotion 18th March 2014, 08:47 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigc90210
interesting review, though no pc version graphics comparison?

We'll be looking to do a performance/graphics feature soon.
GeorgeK 18th March 2014, 08:50 Quote
The only thing that annoys me performance-wise is no SLI - don't get me wrong, a 680 will keep it at 60fps most of the time with all the settings maxed at 2560x1440 but it has to work hard to do it. I'd much rather it was 60fps all of the time with two cards working at 50%-60% than one at 100% and one doing bugger all.
damien c 18th March 2014, 09:09 Quote
I am really enjoying this game.

The only thing I think that is a let down is the graphics but, to be honest you are hardly ever stood still to take notice of them properly.

I actually payed the full price on Origin for this because I know, that I will play it for easily the next 8 months and probably longer for atleast 1 to 3 hours a day, also I think considering the size the team they didn't do to bad of a job.

Yes there is a few issues but still it's been a far smoother launch that most of the so called AAA games lately.
Hustler 18th March 2014, 09:20 Quote
Online shooters are so last decade darling....
GeorgeK 18th March 2014, 09:30 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustler
Online shooters are so last decade darling....

I thought exactly the same until I played this (for the most part anyway) but it's got a feeling of excitement to it that other online shooters have lacked for quite a long time imo
dangerman1337 18th March 2014, 10:04 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeK
I bought it from cdkeys.com - they had it for £25.99 - 5% for liking their facebook page. It's not that cheap now however but can be had for a shade under £30.
Yeah they're reliable, bought BF4 + Premium for £60 total (could have done for cheaper if I didn't get it so late) and Titanfall for £25.99 which is probably worth the money since it is something that I'll play at weekday nights for an hour or so rather than CoD anymore since I did not enjoy Ghosts at all from what I've played on my brother's 360 (get killed too quickly, even for a CoD game).
StoneyMahoney 18th March 2014, 10:17 Quote
It mostly sounds like recycled hash to be honest:

"The combination of wall-running and double-jumping is transformative, making Titanfall a truly three-dimensional shooter."
- Player mobility and control lifted directly from Unreal Tournament 2003/2004

"The Titans also go some way to solving another big problem with larger-scale FPS', which is that vehicle combat is for some intangible reason never quite as enjoyable as being a straightforward infantryman."
- Planetside successfully melded vehicular and infantry combat a long time ago

"…debating which of the game's brilliant Burn Cards to carry with you into the next round."
- Character spec mechanics lifted directly from any number of RPGs are not brilliant and innovative merely because they've been poached for a AAA FPS.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's a very good game and lots of people will get plenty of enjoyment out of it, but it's still huddling in the shadow of giants rather than standing on their shoulders.

I try not to hate on the FPS genre but it's so hard not to when everything released since Battlefield 2 / Medal of Honor / Planetside 1 / Counterstrike has made such inconsequential iterative changes to an otherwise play-it-safe formula and something like this is considered to be daring and different. Way to think still-inside-but-pressed-right-against-the-edge-of-the-box.
Guinevere 18th March 2014, 10:33 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by damien c
I will play it for easily the next 8 months and probably longer for atleast 1 to 3 hours a day

So much wasted life!
Stanley Tweedle 18th March 2014, 11:24 Quote
I played the beta... liked the training missions and training combat. More fun than Hawken. Only problem is I seem to have switched almost entirely to mobile gaming on iPad where a great game with multiplayer costs 69p. Gone are the days when I will pay full price for a game like TFall and I wouldn't pay £30 either. Come to think of it I wouldn't pay £25. The low cost of mobile games has changed the way I think about gaming and the prices I'm willing to pay. Battlefield 3 was the most I've ever paid but I did get a lot of hours from it.

There's also the issue of 35gb uncompressed audio? Why has no one mentioned that? Did remedy make that optional for the final release?
Shirty 18th March 2014, 11:41 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere
So much wasted life!

It's nearly 0.01% of a lifespan playing just one game
Stanley Tweedle 18th March 2014, 13:03 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere
So much wasted life!

It's nearly 0.01% of a lifespan playing just one game

Tell that to a friend of mine. He's been playing CSS every evening since it was released and now has replaced it with CS Go which is also played for some hours each night.
Shirty 18th March 2014, 13:29 Quote
It doesn't count for him, because he doesn't have a life.
damien c 18th March 2014, 13:32 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere
Quote:
Originally Posted by damien c
I will play it for easily the next 8 months and probably longer for atleast 1 to 3 hours a day

So much wasted life!

I enjoy playing games, so it's not really wasted since it's something I want to do.

The thing that use to get done was basically going out spending money of stuff I shouldn't have been and getting home, in a state that wasn't very good.

Yeah there is probably other things I could be doing in that time but I just don't want to, to be honest.
kenco_uk 18th March 2014, 13:52 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkiboi
Oh, I say!

My monocle damn near fell into my cup of tea!
GeorgeStorm 18th March 2014, 14:26 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere
So much wasted life!

That famous quote "Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" kind of fits here. (not sure if that quote is exact but you get the idea)

Personally not that interested in the game but just thought I'd comment on that.
Fused 20th March 2014, 13:34 Quote
Only 6v6? No team autobalancing, This sounds like a console port to me. Surely a game like this on PC would be made a lot better by bigger teams? With small team numbers I feel a match is likely to play like this: 1) 10% shooting 90% looking for someone to shoot or 2) spawn -> die.

Maybe the map design is good and these dire situations don't happen, but given the frequency at which people drop out of online fps matches I think larger team sizes would help mitigate this and give you something to do well shoot at
veato 20th March 2014, 14:32 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fused
Only 6v6? No team autobalancing, This sounds like a console port to me. Surely a game like this on PC would be made a lot better by bigger teams? With small team numbers I feel a match is likely to play like this: 1) 10% shooting 90% looking for someone to shoot or 2) spawn -> die.

Maybe the map design is good and these dire situations don't happen, but given the frequency at which people drop out of online fps matches I think larger team sizes would help mitigate this and give you something to do well shoot at

Try the game. It's the most fun I've had playing an FPS for a long time. I got bored of COD at MW2 and BF4 just hasn't been doing it for me but Titanfall is excellent. It doesn't feel like 6v6 in matches (probably down to a combination of map sizes and NPCs) but regardless it's just a bloody good riot. Why get hung up on numbers of players or whether it was developed for consoles or not. A good game is a good game.
MachineUK 21st March 2014, 08:11 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanmotion
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigc90210
interesting review, though no pc version graphics comparison?

We'll be looking to do a performance/graphics feature soon.

From what I have seen already in other graphical comparisons, it feels like a poor console port. I must admit I have not picked this game up, but honestly, what is the point of comparing them when it has only really been optimized for a xbox 360/one. It doesn't showcase the graphical difference between a console and a PC if the PC version is restricted?
scott_chegg 28th March 2014, 13:21 Quote
The matchmaking is horrendous. Every time we play we are always put up against Gen2 and above pilots who we have no chance of touching! Pretty much COD in the future.

For the fleeting seconds that I'm alive I do enjoy it before someone who has had a bucket to defecate into sat under their chair since the launch appears to smash me before I even know they are there.

It's good but it's no Battlefield.
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums