bit-gamer.net

Borderlands 2 review

Comments 26 to 50 of 55

Reply
rollo 18th September 2012, 16:54 Quote
borderlands has some great humor to it the claptraps are funny as hell in alot of scenes and the is basically endless replayability.
Star*Dagger 18th September 2012, 17:51 Quote
CardJoe is right, never take a BT game review seriously!

Still waiting on that re-review...

S*D
jrs77 18th September 2012, 18:14 Quote
Well... I've played Borderlands with all 4 classes before and with all AddOns. It was lots of fun and the dark humour was really enjoyable.

For Borderlands 2 I hope that multiplayer will be more fun then in the first release, but the single-player-mode should be just as much fun as was the first part, so I'll enjoy playing it.

Definately one of the best shooters for me to play out there currently, as I don't like BF and CoD or anything resembling real-world military.
Somer_Himpson 18th September 2012, 19:37 Quote
Just....no.
XXAOSICXX 18th September 2012, 19:49 Quote
I must be the only person here that thought that Borderlands 1 was total rubbish...
Musicboffin 18th September 2012, 20:02 Quote
What a piss poor review. You cover 3 points:

1. Bit of backstory - Fair enough, no complaints there, but it doesn't take a degree in journalism to summarise the back of the box.
2. You comment that you have to shoot your way through the missions/quests. It's a FPS RPG. That's what FPS means, not "cowardly negotiation to avoid bloodshed".
3. Rant about money - Ok... What about the rest of the game? Of everything in the game, all you took away from it was you had to collect the money?

I appreciate you probably wanted to get a review out quickly, but this is a waste of time. You piss and moan and then slap 85% on it? This is one of the biggest releases of the year, you need to do better than a few screenshots and 2 half arsed pages of ramblings. I guess we should be thankful it isn't littered with the usual BitTech spelling mistakes a quick proof read would have flagged up. This review suggests you played the game for 30mins, read the back of the box and then wrote this.

Go away, play the game properly, cover more than 2 aspects of the game. Here is a list of suggestions:

- How do the classes vary from Borderlands 1?
- Are the missions repetitive and boring?
- Does the game feel padded with content or is there enough variety?
- Are there any new mob types?
- Is the storyline immersive?
- How many hours gameplay is there? Is it good value for money?

Shocking...
Shirty 18th September 2012, 21:10 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXAOSICXX
I must be the only person here that thought that Borderlands 1 was total rubbish...

Nah I played it for about 2 or 3 hours before I got bored. 2 looks like more of the same to me.
Star*Dagger 18th September 2012, 23:21 Quote
More evidence that office drinking games and writing do not mix!
dolphie 19th September 2012, 03:05 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXAOSICXX
I must be the only person here that thought that Borderlands 1 was total rubbish...

Me too. Maybe not total rubbish, but it just felt like a single player MMO to me, full of grindy repetitive quests that felt a bit like a chore, without the satisfaction of epic long term progression and dungeons and raids and groups and stuff. Even MMO's themselves are starting wear pretty thin with me these days, but a slimmed down single player version? No thanks!

I know some people love it though, so each to their own. Personally I'm more interested in a new Stalker game or something like that, and of course, Arma3, *drool*.
whamio 19th September 2012, 10:39 Quote
Rating a game is simple, look at the hours played. Steam says I played Borderlands 990 hrs...that's a Great game. Borderlands 2 gets a buy rec. on that alone.
XXAOSICXX 19th September 2012, 11:41 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by whamio
Rating a game is simple, look at the hours played. Steam says I played Borderlands 990 hrs...that's a Great game. Borderlands 2 gets a buy rec. on that alone.

I gave Borderlands 1 about 5-6 hours of my time...I got very tired very quickly of running around a corner, killing a bunch of enemies and then having to kill the exact same enemies 1 minute later simply because I ran around the same corner again.
Roskoken 19th September 2012, 14:45 Quote
Its the FPS equivalant of Diablo.
XXAOSICXX 19th September 2012, 16:31 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roskoken
Its the FPS equivalant of Diablo.

It really isn't...

Diablo had randomly generated levels with monsters that stayed dead once you'd killed them
Borderlands does not have randomly generated levels and the mobs respawn endlessly
sotu1 19th September 2012, 18:45 Quote
Honestly.....I've given up on BT review scores. It's very cynical and forgets that we should just enjoy the damn game. I like Kotaku's style: Should you play this game? YES OR NO. Nice and easy with no arbitrary scores.
Eiffie 19th September 2012, 19:12 Quote
Boringlands!
SexyHyde 19th September 2012, 20:27 Quote
It just goes to show that no one game fits all. I found the first few hours of borderlands a bit tiresome, but that was because i wasnt used to it, once i relaxed and just enjoyed it and played it to my style it became very enjoyable. the humour is some of the best.

Scores shouldnt be taken too seriously. I never use one review to base a judgement either but normally look at metacritic get a few tastes and see if I personally may like it.
whamio 19th September 2012, 20:41 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXAOSICXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by whamio
Rating a game is simple, look at the hours played. Steam says I played Borderlands 990 hrs...that's a Great game. Borderlands 2 gets a buy rec. on that alone.

I gave Borderlands 1 about 5-6 hours of my time...I got very tired very quickly of running around a corner, killing a bunch of enemies and then having to kill the exact same enemies 1 minute later simply because I ran around the same corner again.

tell me 1 of your favorites, maybe I'm looking at this wrong. online games are full of cheats and baby wise asses..so what ya got n why
Sloth 19th September 2012, 21:48 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe

If you're smart enough to read the review, you should be able to use that and form your own opinions. If you've read what I've put and you say "God, that game sounds rubbish", that'll be the opinion you have. If you disagree and say "Man, it sounds like he's totally missing the point of the game" then you know this is the review that'll be an indicative of your reactions.
I found this review to be useful and sufficient for this reason. A quick read through the actual review (wait, there's more than just scores and benchmarks?!) made it apparent that my complaints with Borderlands 1 were still largely present and that the main selling points of the game, specifically the over the top and pop-culture fueled mood, likely wouldn't appeal to me enough to warrant a purchase despite your 85% score.

If I had my little way there wouldn't be scores or recommendations at all. A review should describe basics of the game and what the reviewer does or doesn't like about the game so that the reader can take that information and determine if they'd like to buy the game. A score is meaningless because it's not based on the reader's interpretation of the information and doesn't account for their tastes or interests.
Adnoctum 20th September 2012, 15:20 Quote
I love you Joe, and I'll never ever abuse you or think poorly of your creative output ever again.
You do whatever you want, focus on any aspect of a game you choose, take a stylised, narrative approach to your review, get side-tracked into reminiscing about another game...anything you want.
Just never leave me...ok? Please?
XXAOSICXX 20th September 2012, 17:35 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by whamio

tell me 1 of your favorites, maybe I'm looking at this wrong. online games are full of cheats and baby wise asses..so what ya got n why

I'm not even sure what that means....
Adnoctum 20th September 2012, 18:19 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXAOSICXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by whamio

tell me 1 of your favorites, maybe I'm looking at this wrong. online games are full of cheats and baby wise asses..so what ya got n why

I'm not even sure what that means....

He's asking what games have you put a high number of hours into. You said because you put in 5-6 ours into Borderlands it isn't such a good game (to you), while he says that because he has put 990 hours into Borderlands it is a good game (to him).
He is trying to find out what games you like, probably to see if you have bad taste generally (in which case he can dismiss your opinion as worthless) or a bad experience (in which case he'll try to convert you). He also doesn't seem to like online competitive multi-player games and the people who populate them, I imagine the annual COD clones and their clones are what he has in mind.
Sloth 20th September 2012, 20:58 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adnoctum
I love you Joe, and I'll never ever abuse you or think poorly of your creative output ever again.
You do whatever you want, focus on any aspect of a game you choose, take a stylised, narrative approach to your review, get side-tracked into reminiscing about another game...anything you want.
Just never leave me...ok? Please?
Oh dear, links like that should come with a warning. My favorite part:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linked Article
I think it’s fair for players to demand the whole magilla – cutting-edge development, engrossing campaign gameplay (1), scads of downloadable content (2), a rich social media/community experience (3), sharing of loot and gear (4)and online multiplayer modes(5)
1: Okay, fair request but laughable given that throughout the article the author has given CoD as an example of this.
2: Borderlands 1 did have "scads" of downloadable content and it's fair to assume that Borderlands 2 will as well. Is he seriously asking for day one DLC?
3: Because what we're all lacking in our lives is a good social networking platform... oh wait.
4: Couldn't you trade weapons in Borderlands 1? I don't see why BL2 would be any different. Unless he means auction house style or worse: TF2 style.
5: One of the main focuses of the game is four player co-op. Four controllers on a console, four characters to pick from, four players per world. Must be because it doesn't have a team deathmatch mode.

I know you weren't linking that for serious discussion but I just had to rant. It wouldn't be healthy going throughout the day with that rage sitting around.
XXAOSICXX 20th September 2012, 23:23 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adnoctum

He's asking what games have you put a high number of hours into. You said because you put in 5-6 ours into Borderlands it isn't such a good game (to you), while he says that because he has put 990 hours into Borderlands it is a good game (to him).
He is trying to find out what games you like, probably to see if you have bad taste generally (in which case he can dismiss your opinion as worthless) or a bad experience (in which case he'll try to convert you). He also doesn't seem to like online competitive multi-player games and the people who populate them, I imagine the annual COD clones and their clones are what he has in mind.

Thank you!

Answer: Titan Quest, Civ V, BF2/3, Company of Heroes..and since about 4 hours ago, Torchlight 2 (which is superb, btw)
whamio 21st September 2012, 02:50 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXAOSICXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adnoctum

He's asking what games have you put a high number of hours into. You said because you put in 5-6 ours into Borderlands it isn't such a good game (to you), while he says that because he has put 990 hours into Borderlands it is a good game (to him).
He is trying to find out what games you like, probably to see if you have bad taste generally (in which case he can dismiss your opinion as worthless) or a bad experience (in which case he'll try to convert you). He also doesn't seem to like online competitive multi-player games and the people who populate them, I imagine the annual COD clones and their clones are what he has in mind.

Thank you!

Answer: Titan Quest, Civ V, BF2/3, Company of Heroes..and since about 4 hours ago, Torchlight 2 (which is superb, btw)


Thanks, I've played BF2/3 but only the single player...not bad games. I'm going to try Torchlight 2, it's hard to find good games if you've gotten tire of the multi player scene
CardJoe 21st September 2012, 11:59 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicboffin
What a piss poor review. You cover 3 points:

1. Bit of backstory - Fair enough, no complaints there, but it doesn't take a degree in journalism to summarise the back of the box.
2. You comment that you have to shoot your way through the missions/quests. It's a FPS RPG. That's what FPS means, not "cowardly negotiation to avoid bloodshed".
3. Rant about money - Ok... What about the rest of the game? Of everything in the game, all you took away from it was you had to collect the money?

I appreciate you probably wanted to get a review out quickly, but this is a waste of time. You piss and moan and then slap 85% on it? This is one of the biggest releases of the year, you need to do better than a few screenshots and 2 half arsed pages of ramblings. I guess we should be thankful it isn't littered with the usual BitTech spelling mistakes a quick proof read would have flagged up. This review suggests you played the game for 30mins, read the back of the box and then wrote this.

Go away, play the game properly, cover more than 2 aspects of the game. Here is a list of suggestions:

- How do the classes vary from Borderlands 1?
- Are the missions repetitive and boring?
- Does the game feel padded with content or is there enough variety?
- Are there any new mob types?
- Is the storyline immersive?
- How many hours gameplay is there? Is it good value for money?

Shocking...

This wasn't about getting the review out quickly. I had the game for a fortnight before release.

There are obviously things I didn't cover in the review for the sake of brevity and so on. I chose to focus on what I consider to be the most important and indicative aspects of the game - the manipulativeness of the underlying mechanics and the overall world design and story.

Some of the things you point out (mob types) I don't honestly think are worth such deeper consideration - do we really need two or three paragraphs about how the skags are now replaced bullymongs? To me, that's fairly facile and surface-level stuff and if that's the deciding factor for you then you'll be better suited to reading other reviews.

I prefer to take a more critical and gestalt-orientated look at games, asking not merely 'Hey, what's new here and how cool does the publisher tell us it is?' but more 'What is there in this game that's really worth my time?'

To be clear, what's worth your time in Borderlands 2 is the overall world design, the script, and the characters - not the underlying and very manipulative mechanics of the game itself.

Other things you mention (is the storyline immersive / how many hours) are valid points to bring up but ultimately aren't always easy to express. It was meant to be implicit too that because I didn't criticise the length of the game then it wasn't really a problem. The storyline is pretty clearly not immersive nor intended to be if you understand the setting (which is spelled out in the world design section).

As for the reptitiveness of missions, it seems what you're really asking is whether the missions are worthwhile on the whole. Functionally, no. Stylistically, yes. That's the whole point of the review - that everything in Borderlands is basically a horrible and depressing game-by-numbers design with a fancy, sweary gloss that really excels itself - and I can only apologise and try harder if that didn't come across properly in your reading.

Anyone who wants to discuss this more fully, as I already do with a number of other readers, can hit me up on email (though I'm actually on holiday right now, so I may be a while getting back to you). Joemartinwords at gmail dot com
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums