The Best Thing I Saw At GamesCom 2012

Nexxo 20th August 2012, 08:38 Quote
No mention of Puppeteer? Son, I am dissapoint.
Hovis 20th August 2012, 08:56 Quote
Disappointed that Dishonored is mission based, rather than an open world game. Am sure it'll last a few days but seems like such a waste to create such an interesting world and just offer it up in little snapshots.
[PUNK] crompers 20th August 2012, 09:07 Quote
I almost want to stop reading about dishonoured now until it comes out, don't want to ruin it for myself
Bauul 20th August 2012, 09:37 Quote
Originally Posted by Hovis

I have to disagree with you here. I can't imagine being open-world would have made Deus Ex, Thief or System Shock any better - quite the opposite, I suspect it would have ruined them.
Spreadie 20th August 2012, 11:34 Quote

It's ironic but I find that open world games often offer less than the more scripted games.
steveo_mcg 20th August 2012, 11:59 Quote
I'm quite liking some of the hybrid approaches that a few have managed.

Batman AC for example, good strong scripted story and fun set pieces but the open world to go do some of the (less interesting) missions and just beat up (practice) goons and try things with worrying about losing progress, plus since your the bat the world is very open and your not stuck running through endless corridors when your in the city.
Skill3d 20th August 2012, 16:52 Quote
Steampunk assasins creed fpsrpg = Dishonored

I'm eagerly waiting to see how it turns out
Hovis 21st August 2012, 04:35 Quote
Games with arbitrary levels just feel so archaic now. I don't mind travelling to a place and starting on a set piece adventure (Batman Arkham City, Mass Effect or Super Mario World style) but just a line of fixed situations, to be tackled end to end, in precise order, just not a fan. Such games tend to get played end to end and discarded forever. Which is no bad thing necessarily, I've loved some level based games such as the Hitman series, but I like a bit more continuity these days, a bit more agency.

Struggling to think of a really great orthodox level-by-level game in recent times now. Usually it's just guff like Call of Duty that does that.