bit-gamer.net

Dear Esther Review

Comments 26 to 44 of 44

Reply
greypilgers 16th February 2012, 18:06 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxo
Do you go to the cinema for fun? Do you watch only comedies? Do you read for fun? Read only comedy novels? Listen only to funny songs? When are on a rollercoaster, are you screaming or laughing? Or perhaps both? What's fun about skydiving?

We seek these experiences --whether film, books, music, rollercoasters, skydiving-- because they move us. It doesn't always have to be laugh-out-loud fun, or exciting action fun. It can be scary or saddening or contemplative. Schindler's List or Mission Impossible; both good movies in their own right. Armageddon played the balance between tension, sadness and triumph masterfully. We came out of the cinema feeling moved.

Games, too, can be 'fun' in many different ways. They can provide excitement, riddle, fear, sadness, triumph. You get involved because you are moved, and thus you experience the catharsis you sought. A game that does not move you is not fun; it's boring.

A fair comment, and one I don't argue with. I still maintain that Dear Esther is not a 'fun game' in the way I would define it, but as I said originally, that doesn't mean I'm not glad it was made, reviewed, rated as it was, and is enjoyed by so many. I'm not sure I would say being 'moved' always equates to fun though. I certainly wouldn't watch Schindler's List for fun... LoL... :D
Elemental_Dragon 17th February 2012, 11:15 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovis
Call me old fashioned, but if I want to -not- kill somebody, I'll interact with the real world. I mean this game seems fine and dandy, but would it really have been that difficult for them to add some weapons and people to kill?

but you missed something...


*** SPOILER ALERT ***

...he kills himself in the end. The final symbols at the end I believe are for alcohol (looking at my partners t-shirt) and the message is his goodbye before he leaps off the radio tower. If you save and reload it you should see his last POV looking up from where he jumped.


The game is pure art. I'm normally a gal for playing COD / CSS but this game is beautiful. The story is really captivating.... Makes you think etc. Just playing for a story so touching - which alot of people forget that a good story makes a game great (in my opinion anyway).
CardJoe 17th February 2012, 15:43 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemental_Dragon
but you missed something...


*** SPOILER ALERT ***

...he kills himself in the end. The final symbols at the end I believe are for alcohol (looking at my partners t-shirt) and the message is his goodbye before he leaps off the radio tower. If you save and reload it you should see his last POV looking up from where he jumped.


The game is pure art. I'm normally a gal for playing COD / CSS but this game is beautiful. The story is really captivating.... Makes you think etc. Just playing for a story so touching - which alot of people forget that a good story makes a game great (in my opinion anyway).

I've added [ SPOILER ] tags. Please use them in the future.

Also, what you're talking is open to interpretation. The chemical diagrams for alcohol are there, but so are electrical diagrams for brake system failures. The game doesn't strictly have him dying there - it doesn't even make it clear if he's a real person in a real place - given how he floats away, too.
alex101 17th February 2012, 18:38 Quote
Nice review Joe. Never heard of this game or even seen the trailer (yet) but will defo be buying it.... just out of curiosity!
Elemental_Dragon 18th February 2012, 19:16 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe
I've added [ SPOILER ] tags. Please use them in the future.

Also, what you're talking is open to interpretation. The chemical diagrams for alcohol are there, but so are electrical diagrams for brake system failures. The game doesn't strictly have him dying there - it doesn't even make it clear if he's a real person in a real place - given how he floats away, too.

Sorry dude, I didn't know such a thing existed! Cool beans...

But yes, the whole game is interpretation. I didn't notice the 2nd although watching the ending again I do. As I say I think it's his mind and trauma, but whether it's him killing himself or, perhaps this represents his... I don't what to call it... But the state of mind when youve been in an accident and see things you wouldn't normally do due to lack of oxygen and deciding to give up the fight to live and be saved by the doctors in the hospital may be an alternative view...

Either way it's a powerful story and although the game may not be overly action involved, it's a fantastically made game a nice change to th norm...
thehippoz 19th February 2012, 01:15 Quote
dear esther.. this game is rubbishly rabbish :D

*edit well take that back the caves and mountain were really well done.. found the paint used on the cliffs but was it just me or wth was he talking about? was he going crazy because of the pills? and what the heck is a bothy..

I wanted to see this esther he was dreaming about too- I think there was a picture on the ground but unclear.. the fade to black guess he died dreaming- there was like a car wreck sort of when he's in the water too.. thought I saw a midget flash in there for a second too

pictures of the wreck on the cliffside too along with pills, gauze, and what looked like a defibrillator..



http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/1519/dearesther2012021816520.jpg
NetSphere 20th February 2012, 00:29 Quote
Just went to see a friend and he happened to show me this. It doesn't appear like anything special, but the artistry really did move me in ways I had not been moved for a long time. The cave was just... gobsmacking. I thought one part was great, then saw something even better and it just kept rising. Just the kind of thing for when you need a 'zen' moment, I guess.
GravitySmacked 20th February 2012, 07:51 Quote
I really want to play it but I can't justify for £7.00'ish price level for such a short experience, not at the moment anyway.
Nexxo 20th February 2012, 08:08 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemental_Dragon
Sorry dude, I didn't know such a thing existed! Cool beans...

But yes, the whole game is interpretation. I didn't notice the 2nd although watching the ending again I do. As I say I think it's his mind and trauma, but whether it's him killing himself or, perhaps this represents his... I don't what to call it... But the state of mind when youve been in an accident and see things you wouldn't normally do due to lack of oxygen and deciding to give up the fight to live and be saved by the doctors in the hospital may be an alternative view...

Either way it's a powerful story and although the game may not be overly action involved, it's a fantastically made game a nice change to th norm...

The story links the deaths of three people together.
SoulRider 20th February 2012, 18:54 Quote
I was going to say..

You have to pay attention to whether he is telling his own story, that of Donnelly, or of others. It is not always clear, sometimes he quotes Donnelly, using I etc, but doesn't mention he is quoting him. It is very subtle

The only thing that annoys me is there is no save game :P
I loaded up the game, played 48mins. Got to the cave and decided I needed to turn all the graphical options up.
There is no save game, so I thought it must auto-unlock the chapters.
When I reloaded, I couldn't access any chapter other than the first. So this means you have to complete the island in one sitting every time you want to play it, to explore all the areas :P
thehippoz 20th February 2012, 20:19 Quote
I liked rolling around in the bothy

but why did jacobsen need to herd sheep to get a wife? :p there was something going on there.. so donnelly was flasking the whiskey wearing his best wife beater and driving a gremlin with no brakes.. then he crashed into another car, ran away and hid the flask, but then died after getting beat by esther.. it's like a episode of jerry springer

the same guy narrating the whole thing doesn't help either.. like if you had more choices, you could have stayed in the bothy and farmed/married the sheep
PingCrosby 21st February 2012, 21:41 Quote
Bought it, played it, enjoyed it. Now could someone do a MODERN DAY ROBINSON'S REQUIEM PLEASE. Thanks,sorry for shouting.
Hovis 28th February 2012, 20:02 Quote
Just to point out by the way, there's theoretically case for this game getting a five just as MW3 did. It is after all merely a remake and it doesn't offer any new or expanded gameplay beyond the original. :)
Spreadie 16th March 2012, 10:19 Quote
Finally got round to playing it. I have no problem with the length of it, for the outlay.

It lasted around two hours, but it was a very engrossing two hours. It was, at times, a spine tingling experience - there was a palpable tension building in the final few minutes although the finale was a little bit of a let-down as it was pretty clear, earlier on in the game, he was heavily burdened by guilt/regret. So, I was hoping for something more than a swan dive off the mast top

No complaints though, and I will be playing it through again.
Tribble 17th March 2012, 17:31 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe


Also, what you're talking is open to interpretation. The chemical diagrams for alcohol are there, but so are electrical diagrams for brake system failures. The game doesn't strictly have him dying there - it doesn't even make it clear if he's a real person in a real place - given how he floats away, too.

There is alot of interpretation like catching a disease from goats and dying, bloody goat shagger

he doesn't float he is actually a seagull, you missed the shadows

This as far as i'm concerned is not a game, you have to have a far stretched imagination to consider it so, yes it is gorgeous to look at, moving, emotional no, interesting yes.

i did see a black human shaped ghost walking up the cliff side

will i view again, yes, i can't say i will play it again as there is nothing to play, but it is beautiful to watch, sometimes sullen to hear and also amusing

I forgot ok the candles are every where even the beach, this just stole from the reality of it, i mean candles would never stay lit as it was so windy
jimmyjj 23rd December 2012, 13:30 Quote
This game is £1.74 on Steam right now.
Cthippo 29th December 2012, 14:00 Quote
I may have to get this, which is saying a lot since I haven't gamed in literally years!
azrael- 29th December 2012, 14:29 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthippo
I may have to get this, which is saying a lot since I haven't gamed in literally years!
Good for you that it isn't really a game then... ;)
Cthippo 30th December 2012, 10:08 Quote
About two hours end to end for me, and that includes going back to the beginning to take a path I didn't the first time through. I have to say this is probably the most impressive piece of level design I've seen, the scenery is absolutely incredible and it's really pushing the Source engine to it's limits.

After playing HL2 and several other "normal" games I keep expecting jumping puzzles and the like, or more of an opportunity to interact with the environment. The engine provided the ability for the designer, but he apparently decided not to take it.

I wish you could have explored the shipwrecks, though.

I was also impressed with how it looks like an open world, but really there is only one path with a few branches. The way the level design keeps you on that path is very clever.


Anyway, worth the $8 I paid for it with the soundtrack.
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums