bit-gamer.net

Crysis 2 DirectX 11 Patch Analysis

Comments 101 to 125 of 134

Reply
feathers 11th July 2011, 18:40 Quote
So the hardware's not bad then. Probably air cooled? My 560's were 70 to 85c full load on air with lots of db. Now 35c max on liquid and near silent.

I guess it's your eyesight that's the real problem then. I reinstalled crysis 1 recently and set ultra detail, was shocked how cartoony the textures look compared to c2.
Aracos 11th July 2011, 19:05 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by feathers
So the hardware's not bad then. Probably air cooled? My 560's were 70 to 85c full load on air with lots of db. Now 35c max on liquid and near silent.

I guess it's your eyesight that's the real problem then. I reinstalled crysis 1 recently and set ultra detail, was shocked how cartoony the textures look compared to c2.

I shouldn't feed the troll but do you ever stop going on about your body vibration, surround sound and now watercooling? I mean seriously, do you have serious e-peen problems? Most of us are quite happy putting our rigs in our sig and leaving it at that, not needing to brag about "setup" but you insist on bragging about your gear and your rig.

Why don't you go troll elsewhere instead of searching for someone in this post to say something bad about crysis 2 so you can jump on them and say you were shocked how cartoony crysis 1 was, which you've actually said twice and then mention your body vibration and other audio setup. Next you'll be saying you play using 3 monitors at 5760x1200 at 500FPS, unless of course you already have and you missed it.

On topic: It would've been nice to see some benchmarks of the new patch, maybe include crysis 2 in the GPU reviews?
feathers 11th July 2011, 19:20 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aracos
Quote:
Originally Posted by feathers
So the hardware's not bad then. Probably air cooled? My 560's were 70 to 85c full load on air with lots of db. Now 35c max on liquid and near silent.

I guess it's your eyesight that's the real problem then. I reinstalled crysis 1 recently and set ultra detail, was shocked how cartoony the textures look compared to c2.

I shouldn't feed the troll but do you ever stop going on about your body vibration, surround sound and now watercooling? I mean seriously, do you have serious e-peen problems? Most of us are quite happy putting our rigs in our sig and leaving it at that, not needing to brag about "setup" but you insist on bragging about your gear and your rig.

Why don't you go troll elsewhere instead of searching for someone in this post to say something bad about crysis 2 so you can jump on them and say you were shocked how cartoony crysis 1 was, which you've actually said twice and then mention your body vibration and other audio setup. Next you'll be saying you play using 3 monitors at 5760x1200 at 500FPS, unless of course you already have and you missed it.

On topic: It would've been nice to see some benchmarks of the new patch, maybe include crysis 2 in the GPU reviews?

Nope, I never stop about body vibration, surround sound or my liquid cooling. I don't have 3 monitors because that would be just plain silly. I don't have the desk space for that. I guess I will stop bragging about hardware and jumping on people when certain people stop the incessant crysis 2 hating.

Now, did I tell you how easy it is to make your own body vibration system using a bass driver and audio amp?

Actually I probably haven't bragged about Fresnel gaming yet, I will get round to that.
Aracos 11th July 2011, 19:53 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by feathers
Now, did I tell you how easy it is to make your own body vibration system using a bass driver and audio amp?

I honestly couldn't care less, you know why? Because my body vibrating with the game is a gimmick, hell vibration support on controllers is pretty much a gimmick, you don't lose anything by having it off. And as for the Crysis 2 hating do you not think people are entitled to their opinion? If they hate Crysis 2 then they hate it, it doesn't matter what you say or what you think, your opinion is your own, their opinion is their opinion, you're all entitled to it, so why do you insist on making sure they choose your opinion instead of their own?
wuyanxu 11th July 2011, 20:03 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aracos
I shouldn't feed the troll.

no you shouldn't. i stopped reply precisely that. how can you argue with someone who places graphics before gameplay? how can you argue with someone with such a big ego bubble for their machine?
feathers 11th July 2011, 20:39 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aracos
Quote:
Originally Posted by feathers
Now, did I tell you how easy it is to make your own body vibration system using a bass driver and audio amp?

I honestly couldn't care less, you know why? Because my body vibrating with the game is a gimmick, hell vibration support on controllers is pretty much a gimmick, you don't lose anything by having it off. And as for the Crysis 2 hating do you not think people are entitled to their opinion? If they hate Crysis 2 then they hate it, it doesn't matter what you say or what you think, your opinion is your own, their opinion is their opinion, you're all entitled to it, so why do you insist on making sure they choose your opinion instead of their own?

Vibration is a gimmick is it? That's a common misconception unfortunately. Tell me, when you get up from your computer chair, walk to the fridge and pull out a chicken, is your body completely lacking any tactile feedback? I don't know about you, but when I walk around, I can feel the ground beneath my feet, I can feel the vibrational energy as my feet make contact with the floor. And when I go driving, I feel the vibration from the road. Perhaps you lack that sense of touch? I am trying to imagine how it would feel to wake up like you and be totally lacking any sense of touch feedback. I would feel totally disconnected from reality. Is that how it is for you?

No, I like my games the way I like reality - with vibration feedback. I want to feel every footstep, every explosion and the kick from a gun firing. I want to feel the engine of the tank I'm driving or the jet I'm flying.

But I can understand if you were born without tactile senses then my way of gaming would seem odd to you.

Re: Crysis 2 hating.

People can have their opinion and I can have mine. You won't see me demanding a thread be locked because someone disagrees with me. Seems to me like you all take yourselves way too seriously. You've got one of those tedious school-yard clique things going on where you think this is YOUR home and you can attack anyone who doesn't worship you or who dares to stand up to you.

Anyone you take a dislike to is labelled a troll.

Sorry but I can't take you seriously. You can stomp around like little schoolboy thugs all you want. Demand the thread be locked, call me a troll and send private messages to moderators demanding your home be protected from the invader.

One giant LOL.
Aracos 11th July 2011, 21:08 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by feathers
Vibration is a gimmick is it? That's a common misconception unfortunately. Tell me, when you get up from your computer chair, walk to the fridge and pull out a chicken, is your body completely lacking any tactile feedback? I don't know about you, but when I walk around, I can feel the ground beneath my feet, I can feel the vibrational energy as my feet make contact with the floor. And when I go driving, I feel the vibration from the road. Perhaps you lack that sense of touch? I am trying to imagine how it would feel to wake up like you and be totally lacking any sense of touch feedback. I would feel totally disconnected from reality. Is that how it is for you?

No, I like my games the way I like reality - with vibration feedback. I want to feel every footstep, every explosion and the kick from a gun firing. I want to feel the engine of the tank I'm driving or the jet I'm flying.

But I can understand if you were born without tactile senses then my way of gaming would seem odd to you.

I find it a gimmick because it's not a accurate feedback, it's just vibrations when you would expect vibration, unless you can 100% accurately feel vibration where you would in real life what's the point? It's just vibration for the sake of vibration. Now I'm going to stop feeding this troll, goodbye thread!
feathers 11th July 2011, 21:16 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aracos
Quote:
Originally Posted by feathers
Vibration is a gimmick is it? That's a common misconception unfortunately. Tell me, when you get up from your computer chair, walk to the fridge and pull out a chicken, is your body completely lacking any tactile feedback? I don't know about you, but when I walk around, I can feel the ground beneath my feet, I can feel the vibrational energy as my feet make contact with the floor. And when I go driving, I feel the vibration from the road. Perhaps you lack that sense of touch? I am trying to imagine how it would feel to wake up like you and be totally lacking any sense of touch feedback. I would feel totally disconnected from reality. Is that how it is for you?

No, I like my games the way I like reality - with vibration feedback. I want to feel every footstep, every explosion and the kick from a gun firing. I want to feel the engine of the tank I'm driving or the jet I'm flying.

But I can understand if you were born without tactile senses then my way of gaming would seem odd to you.

I find it a gimmick because it's not a accurate feedback, it's just vibrations when you would expect vibration, unless you can 100% accurately feel vibration where you would in real life what's the point? It's just vibration for the sake of vibration. Now I'm going to stop feeding this troll, goodbye thread!

It doesn't have to be 100% accurate feedback. The vibration is based on the low frequency energy of the audio effects rather than someone's force feedback interpretation. Thus the vibration is accurate enough to be very convincing. Eyeball shake is eyeball shake no matter where it comes from. When I run body vibration with a flightsim then you have a similar vibrational experience to the real thing. Take that vibration away and the sim is flat and lifeless.

I've been building body vibration systems since the mid 80's so I really don't need your input on the subject.

Now, I've had enough of the teenage bullies who seek to drive someone away because they don't share the same view.
feathers 11th July 2011, 21:34 Quote
Bottom line is:

I liked Crysis 1 enough to complete the single player campaign and would play it again perhaps. I pretty much skipped Warhead so maybe I should play that sometime.

Now C2 is fixed I like that too.

Perhaps I could replay them without cloaking.
knuck 11th July 2011, 23:06 Quote
huh... get off your high horse already, jeeeeeez

I was hoping for this thread to be an interesting read considering I just bought the game but it's just a bunch of childish BS
feathers 11th July 2011, 23:44 Quote
Two words: Custard Balls.

You should be playing the game already. I think I'm nearing the end of the single player now.
Bigspleen 12th July 2011, 15:15 Quote
I am beginning to think Bit-tech and many sites are blinded by crysis's 2 graphics because of hype, and the name.

Am I the only one who booted up c2, and was shocked how average it looked?

Now, I try the dx 11 patch, sure an improvement, but many areas still underwhelm. The tress are really low res 2d sprites, and look embarassing compared to the other high end textures. Even with this patch it doesn't look near as good as crysis. Anyone saying otherwise is fooling themself.

On top of this you have much smaller scale, and destructibility.

maybe people complain about crysis 2 because it was dissappointing, hard to imagine i know. They took what was a nice tactical big mapped fps and turned it into COD with a suit. The speed suit power now is a regular spirint that is in every FPS game. Why not just take it out? Speed in c1 was just that fast, its a regular run in c2. Why can't the character run normally in c2 without using suit power? moronic.

The game funnels you into areas instead of giving you many ways like c1.

i like how c2 tells you there are tactical options available, thanks for treating me like an idiot crytek.
feathers 13th July 2011, 10:17 Quote
"Am I the only one who booted up c2, and was shocked how average it looked?" - No, you're not the only one, but you are in a minority. It's true not all textures in C2 are high res but most are and the screenshots speak for themselves. As the majority of non-biased gamers have stated across various forums: C2 looks great even in DX9.

I think it's time I took some in game screenshots of trees etc in C1 and C2 in order to demonstrate the higher res textures. Not all of the textures in C2 are high res (some of the rock textures for example look lower) but some of the trees have incredible detail closeup. I actually wonder if some of the C1 lovers have actually played C2 at all or perhaps only played it for 10 minutes before throwing a tantrum and going back to C1. C1 was great in my view but I've been there done that. C2 is here, deal with it.

I will reinstall C1 today if I have time and take some screenshots on ultra settings.
impar 13th July 2011, 10:26 Quote
Greetings!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigspleen
Even with this patch it doesn't look near as good as crysis. Anyone saying otherwise is fooling themself.
Its even worse for the ones that tried the several graphical modifications that exist for Crysis 1. Even at 20FPS, you are amazed by the graphics, Crysis 2 just fails to meet the graphical expectations.
In the gamplay, Crysis 2 (so far, havent finished it yet) is just a series of funnels.

Guru3D made an extensive report on the patches:
http://www.guru3d.com/article/crysis-2-dx11-vga-and-cpu-performance-benchmarks/1
feathers 13th July 2011, 10:33 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by impar
Greetings!

Its even worse for the ones that tried the several graphical modifications that exist for Crysis 1. Even at 20FPS, you are amazed by the graphics, Crysis 2 just fails to meet the graphical expectations.
In the gamplay, Crysis 2 (so far, havent finished it yet) is just a series of funnels.

Guru3D made an extensive report on the patches:
http://www.guru3d.com/article/crysis-2-dx11-vga-and-cpu-performance-benchmarks/1

I wonder if you can actually read the conclusion in the link you posted?

"We hope you liked this little soirée of tests which will be an indicator of overall performance. Make no mistake, this upgrade makes your GPU(s) sweat, but Crysis 2 has become amongst the best looking games anno 2011, and though late to market with these patches, it is a much welcomed upgrade.

We just hope that you did not finish the game back in March already."

I suspect what's going on here is the same thing that happened when C1 was released. Lots of kids got angry because they couldn't run C1 on ultra settings on their low end PC so they started saying "C1 is badly coded". C2 is here and once again is taxing their low end PC's so they get angry and say C1 looks better which as anyone with a brain knows is absolute bollocks.
impar 13th July 2011, 11:11 Quote
Greetings!
Quote:
Originally Posted by feathers
I wonder if you can actually read the conclusion in the link you posted?
I did. The key point of their conclusion was "anno 2011". A modified Crysis 1 still beats it visually and gameplay wise.
feathers 13th July 2011, 12:08 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by impar
Greetings!
Quote:
Originally Posted by feathers
I wonder if you can actually read the conclusion in the link you posted?
I did. The key point of their conclusion was "anno 2011". A modified Crysis 1 still beats it visually and gameplay wise.

You can always mod a game to make it look better, but the bog standard official crysis 1 game certainly does not look better. I've modded simulator X (released 2006 if I recall) and with the HD scenery packs it looks absolutely amazing. The point is though that the official sim X without addons doesn't compare graphically to modern games. Now I've just reinstalled Crysis Warhead and taken some screenshots of trees on the maximum game settings (enthusiast). They look dated compared to C2. I will post comparison later today.

I would be interested to know what C1 graphics mods you're using though so perhaps you can post links?

But certainly a bog standard C1 does not compare to C2 graphically so when you're saying C1 looks better, you should be more honest and state not with original graphics :)
impar 13th July 2011, 12:11 Quote
Greetings!

Patches force water to be calculated even if not shown?
http://www.hardware.fr/articles/838-6/tessellation-loupe.html
Another cheap trick from nVidia?
Bigspleen 13th July 2011, 14:00 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by feathers
"Am I the only one who booted up c2, and was shocked how average it looked?" - No, you're not the only one, but you are in a minority. It's true not all textures in C2 are high res but most are and the screenshots speak for themselves. As the majority of non-biased gamers have stated across various forums: C2 looks great even in DX9.

I think it's time I took some in game screenshots of trees etc in C1 and C2 in order to demonstrate the higher res textures. Not all of the textures in C2 are high res (some of the rock textures for example look lower) but some of the trees have incredible detail closeup. I actually wonder if some of the C1 lovers have actually played C2 at all or perhaps only played it for 10 minutes before throwing a tantrum and going back to C1. C1 was great in my view but I've been there done that. C2 is here, deal with it.

I will reinstall C1 today if I have time and take some screenshots on ultra settings.

HUH, where is your proof im in the minority, most everywhere you go its pretty much common knowledge c1 is way superior in graphics and gameplay, most reviews even say as such. A bit biased, you related to Yerli? You defend c2 like its dear to you.


The screenshots look no better then many current games on the market, and not near as good and detailed or large as c1. I can post a screenshot in c2 with dx11 that shows some average at best textures and graphics. Cant say the same for c1.
Bigspleen 13th July 2011, 14:11 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by feathers
"Am I the only one who booted up c2, and was shocked how average it looked?" - No, you're not the only one, but you are in a minority. It's true not all textures in C2 are high res but most are and the screenshots speak for themselves. As the majority of non-biased gamers have stated across various forums: C2 looks great even in DX9.

I think it's time I took some in game screenshots of trees etc in C1 and C2 in order to demonstrate the higher res textures. Not all of the textures in C2 are high res (some of the rock textures for example look lower) but some of the trees have incredible detail closeup. I actually wonder if some of the C1 lovers have actually played C2 at all or perhaps only played it for 10 minutes before throwing a tantrum and going back to C1. C1 was great in my view but I've been there done that. C2 is here, deal with it.

I will reinstall C1 today if I have time and take some screenshots on ultra settings.


HUH? Where is your proof I/m in the minority? it seems to be accepted everywhere on review sites, forums, anyone you talk to c2 is inferior graphically by a wide margin. Are you related to Yerli? You defend c2 like its dear to you.

No tress in c2 have incredible detail, they are terrible low res 2d sprites.

Digital foundry, leans of truth have detailed breakdowns of why c2 is not near the game graphically as c1. look it up.

The screens don't look any better then any most modern Pc games on high settings, certainly doesn't wow anyone like it did c1 did.

The fact you keep posting here for days trying to argue with anyone who is negative towards c2 is telling.
rogerrabbits 13th July 2011, 18:30 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by feathers
I've played and completed Crysis. I don't take these games too seriously. Not enough to throw a hissy-fit because the gameplay changes. For me C2 is a cinematic experience complete with surround sound and body vibration. It's something I will play until I complete and then maybe once in a while on-line. For me it doesn't become my sole purpose for living hence I don't give a **** how the gameplay differs from the first one. The game is interesting enough in it's own right to keep me playing until the end. Something not every game can do.

You don't even care about what you are doing, and it shows. You have such a loud mouth for someone who doesn't care, and you are trying to enforce your stupid views on people who do care a lot about playing good games. Makes me wonder why you even bothered registering here. It's like me registering on a Ferrari forum and call them all a bunch of stupid hissy fit nerds because my Renault Clio gets me from A to B just fine.
feathers 13th July 2011, 19:05 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerrabbits
Quote:
Originally Posted by feathers
I've played and completed Crysis. I don't take these games too seriously. Not enough to throw a hissy-fit because the gameplay changes. For me C2 is a cinematic experience complete with surround sound and body vibration. It's something I will play until I complete and then maybe once in a while on-line. For me it doesn't become my sole purpose for living hence I don't give a **** how the gameplay differs from the first one. The game is interesting enough in it's own right to keep me playing until the end. Something not every game can do.

You don't even care about what you are doing, and it shows. You have such a loud mouth for someone who doesn't care, and you are trying to enforce your stupid views on people who do care a lot about playing good games. Makes me wonder why you even bothered registering here. It's like me registering on a Ferrari forum and call them all a bunch of stupid hissy fit nerds because my Renault Clio gets me from A to B just fine.

So you crysis 1 fans are the ferrari drivers of this world. I'm impressed. I can see I was really dumb now thinking I could keep up with you on the Autobahn. Let's see how well you do in the city though Mr smarty pants. My Clio can squeeze down the bicycle lane nicely during traffic congestion.

I didn't realise this was a forum for pro crysis gamers. What was I thinking.

" you are trying to enforce your stupid views on people who do care a lot about playing good games." - And of course you and your C1 buddies aren't trying to force your Crysis 2 is **** view on anyone are you?

I personally have gripes when people distort the truth. Someone comes along and says we should stop playing C2 because actually C1 looks better. What a crock of ****!

I'm not going to get into an argument about which game is better to play. Could well be that C1 is a better game, I just don't like it when a group of kiddies conspire to distort the facts and say C1 looks better. I don't care what mods you install for it, the barebones C1 and Warhead are showing their age graphically compared to C2. That is the only issue I have when I see C1 kiddies worshipping the game and saying everything about it is better.

I don't give a **** what game you play or if you regard yourselves as pro gamers. Don't give a ****. Just don't like reading lies about a game.
thehippoz 13th July 2011, 19:14 Quote
whoa whoa whoa it's just people's opinions feathers.. looks like you have a nice system- if you enjoy playing crysis 2 on it who gives a ****.. you paid for it.. if your happy then what does it matter =]

I'm happy with my system, but an enthusiast like yourself would probably have a different look with your vibrating chair and gadgets

do I care? :) didn't think crysis 2 graphics were bad at all- it was more the gameplay

don't worry about what people think.. it's a lot like fallout 3.. people didn't like fallout 3 because of system shock nostalgia
feathers 13th July 2011, 19:29 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehippoz
whoa whoa whoa it's just people's opinions feathers.. looks like you have a nice system- if you enjoy playing crysis 2 on it who gives a ****.. you paid for it.. if your happy then what does it matter =]

I'm happy with my system, but an enthusiast like yourself would probably have a different look with your vibrating chair and gadgets

do I care? :) didn't think crysis 2 graphics were bad at all- it was more the gameplay I didn't care for

I was kind of joking around when I was bragging about the hardware. I do use the vibration and the SLI setup is fairly recent. Doesn't matter to me what hardware people use. I don't mind the C2 gameplay but then I haven't completed it yet. I guess we get different things from games. When I played Portal 2, I liked it but I noticed that Portal 1 had some very complex puzzles compared to the sequel. Some said Portal 2 was dumbed down for console release. Perhaps so but overall it was still entertaining. I kind of feel the same way about C2. But I get that some people play a game to a greater level (some of my friends are in various gaming clans). I personally never wanted to play a game to that degree.

I don't judge anyone for preferring C1. It's a personal choice. I just don't like to see the facts distorted. Say whatever you want about C2 gameplay but the graphics are actually pretty nice. I prefer the new aliens in C2. Much more agile. I think C1 was more impressive in terms of the scale of the 3d world and level of detail.
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums