bit-gamer.net

Shift 2: Unleashed Review

Comments 1 to 25 of 97

Reply
Landy_Ed 29th March 2011, 13:01 Quote
V3ctor 29th March 2011, 13:09 Quote
I thought that it was coming out in September...

Guys, when are u going to make a review of this game with graphic cards? Is this DX9? Is it more cpu or gpu bound? That kind of stuff that would be great BT :)

Thanks
Teknokid 29th March 2011, 13:20 Quote
Just ordered a copy from zavvi - £24 with free delivery!

The sound of the cars in the trailers is ridiculously good, and when I heard you could get a focus rs early on I was sold!
Faunus 29th March 2011, 13:25 Quote
Nice introduction, but when are we getting the actual review?

Come on, reviews are supposed to allow me to decide if I want to buy a game or not. This does none of that - it could be describing any half-decent racing game!

Does look nice, mind you.
FelixTech 29th March 2011, 13:36 Quote
So is this basically GRiD 2? Codemasters better get their skates on! :P
CardJoe 29th March 2011, 13:37 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faunus
Nice introduction, but when are we getting the actual review?

Come on, reviews are supposed to allow me to decide if I want to buy a game or not. This does none of that - it could be describing any half-decent racing game!

Does look nice, mind you.

Which part of 'Highly polished racer' and 9/10 - RECOMMENDED was unclear?
TheLegendJoe 29th March 2011, 13:48 Quote
I think I'll be getting it, I've been playing Richard Burns Rally lately (excellent game!) and "live for speed" both extremely fun racing sims, I'd like to see how the handling model copes next too these sort of games, I bought Need for speed hot pursuit, and it was the worst racing game I've ever played :| Computer controlled drifting? yeah... About that.... I thought it'd be more along the lines of burnout but it was trying to be something else :P
Blackmoon181 29th March 2011, 14:09 Quote
any idea of G25/27 and TrackIR support ?

have not been following this game at all. Fantastic surprise when i logged on to Bit-tech!!
Gunsmith 29th March 2011, 14:11 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoon181

have not been following this game at all. Fantastic surprise when i logged on to Bit-tech!!

same here, i think i'll be picking this up after i hear what people thing of the g25 support. it was pretty poor in shift 1 :(
Teknokid 29th March 2011, 14:13 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoon181
any idea of G25/27 and TrackIR support ?

have not been following this game at all. Fantastic surprise when i logged on to Bit-tech!!

Ive not heard anything on TrackIR, but Ive seen a number of people trying it out with a g27 so Im guessing the support is all there.

Turn the sound up and have a listen to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21bg2moGRU8
jimbok11 29th March 2011, 14:21 Quote
Hopefully it'll be more stable that NFS: Shift which had so many problems after buying it, I just gave up in the end...
Marvin-HHGTTG 29th March 2011, 14:24 Quote
How's the handling? I hated the way the cars handle in both Grid and Shift 1, though have always liked GT in this regard. Is it closer to the former or the latter? Also, I hadn't realised there was an issue with the G25 and Shift 1, might have been why I didn't like it.
Faunus 29th March 2011, 14:28 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe
Which part of 'Highly polished racer' and 9/10 - RECOMMENDED was unclear?

It hardly tells me about the game though does it? A game is more than just a score and a recommendation, as I'm sure you are aware.

I want to know what I can do in said game. This review says that the racing is fun, and it's very enticing, but it doesn't actually describe what you can DO in the game.

What about the autolog? The single best part of Shift - is it in Shift 2?

How is the driving? Yes, it's demanding, but is it realistic?

How about playing the game with a wheel? Is it better than a gamepad?

What about the graphics? Does the game suffer from slowdown? Is it truly slick? What about graphics options?

None of the above are mentioned, but all of these are factors that dictate whether or not this game gets my purchase. I suspect I'm not alone in that.
kenco_uk 29th March 2011, 14:38 Quote
Aye, it's a major release that deserves a damn site more than a two page 'review-ette' imo.
Yslen 29th March 2011, 14:46 Quote
Very happy to see this game reviewed well. I think the original shift was a vastly underrated game; it doesn't sound like much has actually been changed for the sequel, all the key mechanics that made the first so good are all there. I'm looking forward to the improved multiplayer and graphics though.
ledbythereaper 29th March 2011, 14:57 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunsmith
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoon181

have not been following this game at all. Fantastic surprise when i logged on to Bit-tech!!

same here, i think i'll be picking this up after i hear what people thing of the g25 support. it was pretty poor in shift 1 :(

I'll let you know later ;p
Cerberus90 29th March 2011, 15:02 Quote
From the videos on amazon, it looks as if they just wanted to make burnout and have you crash into everything.


Youtube linky

Doesn't look that realistic from that video, tyres seem to have too much lateral grip. And it looks as though he's using all driver aids. Looks as though steering wheel support is good though.


Sounds pretty good though. Having experienced the Vettes at Le Mans 09, they are rib cage shaking loud, :D
murraynt 29th March 2011, 15:03 Quote
Have to say i'm surprised with the review.
I really though it would be another one of the 6/10 games

It would be nice if you just added in how stressing the game was on the PC and jsut a little more info on how it preforms.
DeX 29th March 2011, 15:16 Quote
Just ordered :) believing that the AI has some sort of personal grudge against me is exactly how I want to feel when playing a racing game - makes beating it so much more satisfying. The AI in GRID was just too easy. Upping the difficulty seemed to just make controlling the car harder rather than making the AI harder which isn't really much fun.

It would be nice to know how this compares with the original Shift though.
Da_Rude_Baboon 29th March 2011, 15:20 Quote
I haven't yet seen a review which comments on the in-car view. The dev has said it wanted to make the in car view the best one to use and has gone to great lengths to make it feel as authentic as possible.
Teknokid 29th March 2011, 15:36 Quote
The handling will be the real make or break of this.. Im used to playing ultra realistic sims such as rfactor and Race07, so if this can come close it will be a real cracker..

However, judging by the videos so far, its not looking too promising.
MrCraigL 29th March 2011, 15:37 Quote
@Faunus Hi.

I just wanted to answer some of your questions.

Yes, the autolog is included. This was mentioned in the review, though not by name.
"Between normal races you can set lap times, recommend tracks to your online friends and be notified through email when your time is beaten. EA is hoping it can spawn communities where this sort of in-competition can take hold"

The handling/driving is on the fun side of realistic.
"Shift 2 is a continuation of the not-super-serious racing sim (more GRID than iRacing)"..."The cars all handle as if they have real weight and momentum to them, so when you get going you can’t help but lean yourself into the arms of your chair as you tackle tight corners, or hold your breath as your back end swings a little bit too wide. "

I can't comment on a wheel, I didn't have one available at the time of review. I reviewed with a 360 pad which worked fine. Hopefully reports will come in soon.

The graphics are nice, which you can see from the screenshots provided and the multitude of videos online.
"the engines blast through your speakers, the tracks and cars look amazing and you’re banking around corners with reckless abandon"

I played the game on a i7 930 at stock speed with an nVidia 470 and 6GB DDR 3. It ran on high settings smoothly. If it hadn't have ran as expected (ie well and looking nice) it would have been mentioned in the review.

Hope that clears some things for you, sorry the review isn't as technical as you like. I think it's more important to capture what a games like to play and whether you will like the experience, rather than whether it supports AA or not.

@Da_Rude_Baboon
The helmet cam isn't great as it moves your viewpoint as you're trying to take corners. The standard "in car" was my preference though, but everyone will want something different. I know other reviewers have been playing in chase-cam.
Faunus 29th March 2011, 16:43 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCraigL
@Faunus Hi.

I just wanted to answer some of your questions.

Yes, the autolog is included. This was mentioned in the review, though not by name.
"Between normal races you can set lap times, recommend tracks to your online friends and be notified through email when your time is beaten. EA is hoping it can spawn communities where this sort of in-competition can take hold"

The handling/driving is on the fun side of realistic.
"Shift 2 is a continuation of the not-super-serious racing sim (more GRID than iRacing)"..."The cars all handle as if they have real weight and momentum to them, so when you get going you can’t help but lean yourself into the arms of your chair as you tackle tight corners, or hold your breath as your back end swings a little bit too wide. "

I can't comment on a wheel, I didn't have one available at the time of review. I reviewed with a 360 pad which worked fine. Hopefully reports will come in soon.

The graphics are nice, which you can see from the screenshots provided and the multitude of videos online.
"the engines blast through your speakers, the tracks and cars look amazing and you’re banking around corners with reckless abandon"

I played the game on a i7 930 at stock speed with an nVidia 470 and 6GB DDR 3. It ran on high settings smoothly. If it hadn't have ran as expected (ie well and looking nice) it would have been mentioned in the review.

Hope that clears some things for you, sorry the review isn't as technical as you like. I think it's more important to capture what a games like to play and whether you will like the experience, rather than whether it supports AA or not.

@Da_Rude_Baboon
The helmet cam isn't great as it moves your viewpoint as you're trying to take corners. The standard "in car" was my preference though, but everyone will want something different. I know other reviewers have been playing in chase-cam.

Thanks for clarification of my points...
hexx 29th March 2011, 16:46 Quote
so it looks that after TDU failed to deliver proper successor EA nailed it with Shift 2!!!! Gonna order it now (still have few rival challenges in the first part though)

this is what i need a good racer :) gt5 and shift2 - lovely
veato 29th March 2011, 17:39 Quote
The G27 (I checked because I have one) has full support in Unleashed including all functioning buttons and 900 degree wheel rotation - that's PC and PS3 too.

I read somewhere one of the devs even said although 900 degrees is a bit pointless in this game it is fully featured and even the drivers arms animate properly on the wheel to show it.
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums