bit-gamer.net

Aliens vs Predator Review and Video

Comments 1 to 25 of 64

Reply
Jamie 15th February 2010, 15:21 Quote
I like the video adds a nice dimension.
Eggy 15th February 2010, 15:31 Quote
Nice review. Not as bad as I expected to be honest. I still find the HUD to be horrid though.
LeMaltor 15th February 2010, 15:33 Quote
Nice video, I'll read the rest later :D
frontline 15th February 2010, 15:34 Quote
I was sure this was one of AMD's DX11 flag wavers, but couldn't see any mention of it in the review, in fact all i spotted was a DX9 labelled screenshot. Are the DX11 features not worth mentioning or is there a comparison feature in the works?
OWNED66 15th February 2010, 15:37 Quote
i loved this game DEMO
cant wait
yakyb 15th February 2010, 15:51 Quote
isn't gunsmith's walk through of crysis not warhead
Dave_M 15th February 2010, 15:53 Quote
Doesn't look that gory. Half Life had more gore when you hacked people to bits with a crowbar. Left a right mess on the floor. Never seem to get much in the way of blood decals nowadays :(
Gunsmith 15th February 2010, 15:56 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakyb
isn't gunsmith's walk through of crysis not warhead

Ive done both Crysis and Warhead
Skiddywinks 15th February 2010, 16:07 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by frontline
I was sure this was one of AMD's DX11 flag wavers, but couldn't see any mention of it in the review, in fact all i spotted was a DX9 labelled screenshot. Are the DX11 features not worth mentioning or is there a comparison feature in the works?

Same thing happened with CoP. Have to say I'm a little disappointed.

As far as the game goes, all I am going to say is this; shock horror.
memeroot 15th February 2010, 16:09 Quote
any chance of commenting on how well the game works with 3d vision?
Baz 15th February 2010, 16:14 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by memeroot
any chance of commenting on how well the game works with 3d vision?

I doubt it - it just gives us headaches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frontline
I was sure this was one of AMD's DX11 flag wavers, but couldn't see any mention of it in the review, in fact all i spotted was a DX9 labelled screenshot. Are the DX11 features not worth mentioning or is there a comparison feature in the works?

Our Review code was DX9 only.
Skiddywinks 15th February 2010, 16:32 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz

Our Review code was DX9 only.

What the? Why on Earth did they only give you DX9 code? Sorry for jumping to the conclusion you are all just lazy *******s, but maybe mentioning that in the review would help!
Baz 15th February 2010, 16:42 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddywinks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz

Our Review code was DX9 only.

What the? Why on Earth did they only give you DX9 code? Sorry for jumping to the conclusion you are all just lazy *******s, but maybe mentioning that in the review would help!

From what I understand DX11 was a later addition to the game - it's been great to have a game a decent amount of time before before launch though, and gave Joe plenty of opportunity to play it through.

I fail to see how some fancy lighting and texture optimisations would improve on what is a fairly derivative but not entirely without merit game though. In fact we actually praise the game's graphics as they are in DX9 - they look very nice indeed. DX11 isn't some magic "make everything look better" wand, as we saw with Colin McRae DIRT 2 where the difference was barely noticeable.
Skiddywinks 15th February 2010, 17:03 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz
I fail to see how some fancy lighting and texture optimisations would improve on what is a fairly derivative but not entirely without merit game though. In fact we actually praise the game's graphics as they are in DX9 - they look very nice indeed. DX11 isn't some magic "make everything look better" wand, as we saw with Colin McRae DIRT 2 where the difference was barely noticeable.

I fail to see either, and that is why I am reading the review. I want to know what you guys, the professional journalists, think. It's not like I feel ripped off that you didn't have a sentence of "DX11 IS AMAZING OMG", but the fact that it was not mentioned at all is what bugged me. If it's ****, I want it to be pointed out that it is ****. If you aren't impressed, say that. It's important people know what the deal actually is, rather than just the marketing.

Still, without DX11 code, my point seems a bit moot!

I have to agree though, the details and textures do look very crisp regardless of the fact it is DX9. Watching that video did impress me quite a bit. Shame the actual game looks boring and derogatory.
Metrology 15th February 2010, 17:07 Quote
like the video......nice touch.
l3v1ck 15th February 2010, 17:28 Quote
I'm glad VLC played it, because Media Player wouldn't.
I like that the commentary went exactly in time with the footage. It wasn't just talking over stock footage.
human_error 15th February 2010, 17:33 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by l3v1ck
I'm glad VLC played it, because Media Player wouldn't.
I like that the commentary went exactly in time with the footage. It wasn't just talking over stock footage.

strange, my wmp played it fine (on win7 and have ffds codecs installed).

I am a little dissapointed with how you felt the alien and predator campaigns play, i guess i'll have to see if i find it getting repetative and boring. Thanks for the unbiased review though bit-tech - it's good to see a review come from competent reviewers with open minds.

Next: please do a dx11 vs dx9 review when it's released.
Sim0n 15th February 2010, 17:40 Quote
"This guy's a spry bugger"

LOL
bigc90210 15th February 2010, 17:47 Quote
Are there dedicated servers for this? i've read so many "yes there are" "no there aren't" reports that i've no idea whats going on with it.

hopefully there will be, if there arent its gonna seriously mar the game
do_it_anyway 15th February 2010, 17:49 Quote
Like the idea.... but I listen to you guys while out running. It takes away the pain and boredom. I can't watch and run... unless I fancy falling into the (icy) canal!
Skiddywinks 15th February 2010, 18:02 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigc90210
Are there dedicated servers for this? i've read so many "yes there are" "no there aren't" reports that i've no idea whats going on with it.

hopefully there will be, if there arent its gonna seriously mar the game

They are supported, but there are none in the demo, was the last I heard.
GravitySmacked 15th February 2010, 18:09 Quote
Hmmm got it on pre-order (albeit at a very cheap price); wondering whether to cancel or not. Not a bad review but not as good as I hoped.
johnnyboy700 15th February 2010, 18:16 Quote
I'll still buy it and I loved the gameplay video it was infinitely more informative that the actual review - no disrespect to your journalisim skills intended. Do you intend to use video for future reviews?
g3n3tiX 15th February 2010, 19:04 Quote
Thanks for the video, I'm REALLY sorry for unknowingly disturbing it by playing Mass Effect 2... I don't remember playing on and off, strange.

I've got mixed feelings about the game, multiplayer looks like a bit of a dissapointment. I didn't like the melee in the demo, had a little "smash buttons and pray you kill" feeling about it.
shomann 15th February 2010, 19:16 Quote
Been playing the multiplayer demo since it came out and while I hate the matchmaking system (dedicated servers should help this) I honestly can't get enough of it...as long as I am a Marine or Predator.

I simply don't like playing the Alien. I have seen it done with frightening grace and lethality, but to me it gets confusing and disorienting way too fast.

As the Predator though...well, there is a huge satisfaction in chaining together kill after kill, Marine and Alien alike. I rarely go for the insta-kills as it leaves you open too long. The key to the Predator is obtaining any of his ranged weapons as quickly as possible. After that, realizing that you are not the equal of the Alien at hand to hand is vital.

As a Marine, the game is quite eerie. No enhanced vision - you must survive with just your pathetic (but nice looking!) flashlight and your motion sensor (which really works on motion, so if there is an Alien parked above you, just watching, its game over...man). You do have an awful lot of firepower available. Rifle fired grenades and shotguns rule - smart-guns should be alot more powerful, and I can't see sitting still long enough to bust out sniper shots - but its up to you ;)

All in all, I will get this game just for the multiplayer and might delve in single-player if I feel like it. I will also wait for a nice Steam sale to snag it ;)
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums