bit-gamer.net

Mass Effect 2 Review

Comments 1 to 25 of 131

Reply
Gunsmith 26th January 2010, 09:46 Quote
go play ME1 before going into ME2 he says, btw heres the plot

Baz 26th January 2010, 09:50 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunsmith
go play ME1 before going into ME2 he says, btw heres the plot

In the 6th sense, Bruce Willis is a ghost! Snape kills Dumbledore! Darth Vader is Luke's father!

Spoilers have to have a lifespan - The original Mass Effect is coming up on 2 years old now (on 360 at least) - chances are if you haven't played it yet, you're unlikely to considering the vastly superior sequel is now out (well, come friday).

Incidentally, holy crap I want this game now. Watching Joe play it super-smug-git-o-vision has been hell. Friday can not get here fast enough for Steam unlock. Hurry up week!
steveo_mcg 26th January 2010, 09:58 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunsmith
go play ME1 before going into ME2 he says, btw heres the plot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz
In the 6th sense, Bruce Willis is a ghost! Snape kills Dumbledore! Darth Vader is Luke's father!

Spoilers have to have a lifespan - The original Mass Effect is coming up on 2 years old now (on 360 at least) - chances are if you haven't played it yet, you're unlikely to considering the vastly superior sequel is now out (well, come friday).

Actually i've got ME1 to download (steam sale) just never had the time to sit and play it of late. I've not read the review for that reason i'm just going with the smilie in the op.
Bad_cancer 26th January 2010, 09:59 Quote
Lol. Gunsmith made me laugh and baz is kind of right.

But i must admit i haven't played the first one. And i might be picking both the first and the second one up (should keep me super busy for a while. :D )

On a further note: WOW a 10!!!
500mph 26th January 2010, 10:02 Quote
I haven't played the first one, and I don't think I will for a bit.
Probably because I'll be playing ME2 since its so awesome.
uz1_l0v3r 26th January 2010, 10:09 Quote
Where do people find the time to play games like this? I'm still only 25 hours or so into Dragon Age, and I've had that since before Christmas.
vdbswong 26th January 2010, 10:10 Quote
I've been on a binge lately levelling up my Adept character to import into ME2... :?

On a side note... i'm pretty sure the organisation is Cerberus? As in the guard dog of the underworld? I cringed everytime i saw CEREBUS in big capital letters ;>.
Fod 26th January 2010, 10:19 Quote
^ what he said.

Eurogamer gave it a ten too. Looks like we have something to look forward to :D
liratheal 26th January 2010, 10:23 Quote
Three days. Three days and I can burn through what little life I have left playing this beauty.
Mentai 26th January 2010, 10:32 Quote
Saving myself until I have enough spare time to power through this in one go. Avoiding media coverage on this has been a pain in the arse though. I heard the launch trailer had massive spoilers, gg marketing teams.

Glad to see this got a 10 though, ME1 is one of my favorite games despite it's many flaws, so I have stupid amounts of anticipation for the sequel :D
Matarsak 26th January 2010, 10:37 Quote
Good review, as usual.

However, given the number of errors and redundancies I have to wonder if the editor was either asleep or in a hurry to get this posted.
kingred 26th January 2010, 10:38 Quote
tali is romancable. unless your playing through as a girl (shits so cash)
liratheal 26th January 2010, 10:47 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingred
tali is romancable. unless your playing through as a girl (shits so cash)

So all that r34 on her wasn't just idle fap material, it was speculation?
Bede 26th January 2010, 10:53 Quote
Even Bioware are subject to rule 34.

In other news the internets seem to be having a collective orgasm over this game, I hope it lives up to its 10/10 reviews.
hexx 26th January 2010, 10:57 Quote
ps3 version please, xbox died on me, i sold pc and have now only ps3 and a lappie (mac)
Unknownsock 26th January 2010, 11:10 Quote
My life ends for a couple of days from Friday onwards tbh...
CardJoe 26th January 2010, 11:11 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunsmith
go play ME1 before going into ME2 he says, btw heres the plot

I'd have thought it would be obvious that if you're reading a review of a sequel then you'd expect a summary of the previous game? And just because I've related the main plot of Mass Effect 1 (Saren, The Reapers) doesn't mean that I've spoiled the game. As with Mass Effect 2 there's a lot of interesting story around the characters, sidequests and stuff I haven't mentioned.
Eggy 26th January 2010, 11:21 Quote
Probes are incredibly cheap, fuel is a pointless addition and scanning planets is a terrible addition to the game. The MAKO missions from ME1 were a great change of pace the problem was the terrible copy and paste tactic used for the planets that you could land on. For the rest ME 2 is more of the same which is a good thing if you liked ME 1. Graphics haven't improved much, no option to enable AA as far as I can tell.

It's still an RPG light, I prefer games with a bit more character building. A ten is a bit too much in my opinion. But than again console games are hyped alot these days.
Jipa 26th January 2010, 11:25 Quote
Woah an excellent game you say? 10/10 on Bit-Tech? Now if only the genre interested me at all :D
DragunovHUN 26th January 2010, 11:32 Quote
Page 4 = do not like.
CardJoe 26th January 2010, 11:35 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggy
Probes are incredibly cheap, fuel is a pointless addition and scanning planets is a terrible addition to the game. The MAKO missions from ME1 were a great change of pace the problem was the terrible copy and paste tactic used for the planets that you could land on. For the rest ME 2 is more of the same which is a good thing if you liked ME 1. Graphics haven't improved much, no option to enable AA as far as I can tell.

It's still an RPG light, I prefer games with a bit more character building. A ten is a bit too much in my opinion. But than again console games are hyped alot these days.

And you obviously pirated the game since it isn't out anywhere yet, right? Personally, to me, that means that you're part of the reason that (in your opinion) console games are hyped so much. They've become a more important part of the market because of pirates, like I'm presuming you are.
bob 26th January 2010, 11:35 Quote
How long did it take to complete? I did find the first one a bit short compared to Knights of the Old Republic.
Eggy 26th January 2010, 11:46 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe


And you obviously pirated the game since it isn't out anywhere yet, right? Personally, to me, that means that you're part of the reason that (in your opinion) console games are hyped so much. They've become a more important part of the market because of pirates, like I'm presuming you are.
I didn't pirate ME2 and have put in about 5 hours which isn't much I admit. But I have no problems with people wanting to try out a game that has no demo before deciding to buy it.

My problem is that before the PS3 and Xbox 360 were launched the game reviews were alot more down to earth and 10's were rarely given. Now every game with sufficient enough hype will get one.
CardJoe 26th January 2010, 11:56 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggy
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe


And you obviously pirated the game since it isn't out anywhere yet, right? Personally, to me, that means that you're part of the reason that (in your opinion) console games are hyped so much. They've become a more important part of the market because of pirates, like I'm presuming you are.

I didn't pirate ME2 and have put in about 5 hours which isn't much I admit. But I have no problems with people wanting to try out a game that has no demo before deciding to buy it.

My problem is that before the PS3 and Xbox 360 were launched the game reviews were alot more down to earth and 10's were rarely given. Now every game with sufficient enough hype will get one.

A) Then how did you get the game? If it's a legit source then why not share that with other fans of the game?

2) 10/10s and hype are hardly new. Exaggeration and awe are hardly innovations that were introduced by the PS3 and Xbox. It's purely that, with the market having boomed so much and gotten so large in recent years, there are now many more games out there and those games are more sophisticated. Good journalists adapts to that and provide scores irrespective of hype, like I like to think we do. There are plenty of really, really hyped games that we've slammed down in the past, from Section 8 to GTA IV PC to Gears of War.

There is of course a disconnect around the overall hype/personal expectation/viewed worth according to critic/personal opinion of reader. There's nothing to do about it though other than to try and choose your sources carefully and listen to people you believe have similar expectations and opinions but who are able to stay grounded, fair and measurably cynical in the face of PR spin and hype. It's a part of the business for both readers and writers and it's been that way for films, books, games and any other media you can think of long before the Xbox 360 and PS3 arrived on the scene.
DarkBanana 26th January 2010, 12:09 Quote
Actually, if you read the score guide, BitTech has a vary clear definition of a"10" ranking. It's just a game they really really like and would recommend to everyone. I don't think that's unreasonable.

I guess games with big hype tend to have big budgets and if a company has spent that much, they've spent time making sure the game is good. The money had to go somewhere after all!

It does make you wonder what ranking they would give to a 'prefect' game though :P
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums