bit-gamer.net

Top 10 Games of The Year 2009

Comments 1 to 25 of 75

Reply
[USRF]Obiwan 23rd December 2009, 10:05 Quote
The only reason MW2 is above all others is because it is a new released game that people remember freshly in their minds. If it was released in februari and you would ask in December 2010 it would have been on place 9.
UncertainGod 23rd December 2009, 10:08 Quote
woah, I couldn't possibly disagree with that list more, guess it just goes to show the different direction bit-tech has been taking lately.
bogie170 23rd December 2009, 10:24 Quote
How dare you put MW2 as best game of the year. It definately isn't. No dedi's, awful balance, no lean, listen servers, hacked to pieces with cheaters, etc.....

Oh but is does have custom graphics settings and mouse and keyboard support.

Bit-tech you make me sick.
Yemerich 23rd December 2009, 10:26 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by [USRF
Obiwan]The only reason MW2 is above all others is because it is a new released game that people remember freshly in their minds. If it was released in februari and you would ask in December 2010 it would have been on place 9.
Ditto.
MW I was much better than this. I also disagree with the "non appearance" of "Men of War". Warhammer is a great game, and I still have it installed in my machine. But Men of War is ten times more strategy than any other in here. GOD! You can shot the enemy vehycle in the wheels so you can repair it for you own use! Any soldier in the game can grab any kind of enemy's weapon. So if you have a machine gunner that run out of ammo, he can grab a rifle and become one rifleman. But with some penalties. You can even man AAs!

The problem is not the list, but the voting method. I really hope that a BT staff list is on the way.

BTW: Broken link in number 8
13eightyfour 23rd December 2009, 10:42 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogie170
How dare you put MW2 as best game of the year. It definately isn't. No dedi's, awful balance, no lean, listen servers, hacked to pieces with cheaters, etc.....

Oh but is does have custom graphics settings and mouse and keyboard support.

Bit-tech you make me sick.

They didnt, this was user voted i think so i suppose we only have ourselves to blame? Although i didnt vote for MW2 alot of the forumites must have.
Da_Rude_Baboon 23rd December 2009, 10:45 Quote
The 'hardcore' PC players are a tiny percentage of MW2's market and i guess this vote by the bit tech readers reinforces that. I do find it amusing that in a vote which excluded console games the game most bit readers would classify as a console game won.
bogie170 23rd December 2009, 10:49 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Rude_Baboon
The 'hardcore' PC players are a tiny percentage of MW2's market and i guess this vote by the bit tech readers reinforces that. I do find it amusing that in a vote which excluded console games the game most bit readers would classify as a console game won.

Yes sickening.
NoMod 23rd December 2009, 10:52 Quote
It's funny how I hear people saying MW1 was much better than MW2 blah blah...they all seem to forget all the bugs in that game when it was first released, and some imbalances that were never fixed - like the silenced G3 knife glitch, or the chopper loops (when you get yourself killed before calling in a roflcopter, and it's kills then contribute to your new streak and get you another one in about 30 seconds) or the constant nade spam on maps like wetwork, or the proliferation of the M4/16 RDS + stopping power + deep impact combo (yawn), or the P90 run n spray noobs, or the horrible spawn system that forces everyone onto one flag in domination to be airstriked to death...

While I do miss some aspects if dedicated servers (like being an admin and being able to kick the hackers), I don't miss the flaws with MW1, and feel that MW2 (although not quite perfectly balanced yet, 1887's or commando knife monkeys anyone?) is far more enjoyable and balanced to play. The new perk system is much better, I seldom see two people using the same kits, and the new gamemodes are very cool (demolition being my favorite). Big games I can do without as I always prefered 6v6 tactical games anyway, and the matchmaking system, although infuriating at times means that I can always just jump into a game whenever I get a chance.

It's swings and roundabouts, and although I don't advocate that MW2 is perfect by any stretch - MW1 was not either and it seems people look back on it through rose tinted glasses...
robyholmes 23rd December 2009, 10:59 Quote
MW2 should not have been top!
CardJoe 23rd December 2009, 11:05 Quote
This list was user voted

Also, if it's to do with the fact that it's recent then why aren't more recent games in there and why are older games in the list? Mirror's Edge, Dawn of War 2, Empire: Total War - all rank very highly. Even Batman is older than others and yet came second - by a significant margin too.

Left 4 Dead 2 is MORE recent than Modern Warfare 2 and just as polished and good. By your logic then why isn't that number one? Why is it #3 by quite some distance?

I've had my share of grief lately with MW2, but it honestly baffles me that you guys still don't believe that it's a very popular, actually very good game even at this point. This was a completely open, fair vote decided by you guys, not us.
B4TM4N 23rd December 2009, 11:10 Quote
As if Modern Warfare 2 is first. New low.
phuzz 23rd December 2009, 11:10 Quote
Perhaps next year BT should have a separate console and PC countdown. I can't see MW2 being many people's favourite PC game...
CardJoe 23rd December 2009, 11:26 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by phuzz
Perhaps next year BT should have a separate console and PC countdown. I can't see MW2 being many people's favourite PC game...

This has been discussed before. We did separate console and PC ones last year and the only thing that happened was that we got less votes and people complained about having to fill in two forms. Then they complained about us having a console award when we're supposed to be a PC site. In reaction to this we did a single big GOTY award that featured only games that had seen a PC release - i.e. no console exclusives.

It doesn't really matter though because, whether people prefer it on PC or console, it should still be representative of the average bit-tech reader (though perhaps not the average forum poster).

People always want it to be different and always complain. You can't have it both ways.
Elton 23rd December 2009, 11:27 Quote
MW2 has a great single player, a bit re-hashed and rushed, but it was still quite the rollercoaster. I'm not surprised MW2 made it on the list either, I mean the game has the COD name attached to it, and it was a pretty decent sequel to MW1, both of which had flaws.

The fact that Mirrors Edge made the list pretty much makes Bit-Tech a legitimate source, however I will say in defense of MW2 that it is quite polished, and although needing a patch to fix a few OP'ed weapons(and a map that is more open with less camping) it should be pretty decent.

A good compilation seeing as there weren't as many awesome titles this year.
Baz 23rd December 2009, 11:33 Quote
As is mentioned numerous times in the article (should you choose to have a read), this list was USER VOTED. That means that you, our readers voted MW2 top - not us humble journos. Not that it's an opinion I disagree with of course.

Sorry vocal minority, silent majority has spoken!
Blademrk 23rd December 2009, 11:34 Quote
That's the problem limiting to a specific platform, I think a lot of people would have voted for the games they like regardless of platform, therefore MW2 would have a lot of votes from both PC players who love it aswell as console players who love it.

I know I voted for Batman:AA and I've only played the Xbox version, and I've only just started playing Borderlands (again on the Xbox) and would have voted for that too if I'd played it prior to voting (it really is a very good game). I've played very few PC games this year (DoW2 and Torchlight being the only 2 from the list).

edit: link to forums doesn't take you to this thread.
Horizon 23rd December 2009, 11:36 Quote
Honestly, after playing it MW2 SP was meh at best, i don't see what it is about that everyone is praising. The levels were too linear cleverly hidden tunnels. I got bored half way through the game because it was mostly run-shoot-knife repeat, just wasn't challenging at all (playing on veteran, fyi before someone claims I'm playing it on easy), just mind-numbing.
wuyanxu 23rd December 2009, 11:37 Quote
move away from MW2 talks, not much point as it is the most played game on the planet.

Batman AA definitely deserve to be up there, it's the best game i've ever played! a bit repetitive, but only on my second play through.

not a fan of RPG, so didn't enjoy DoW2 a single bit. but Boarderland is pretty satisfying, once a good gun is found, otherwise it's nothing more than a RPG.
Elton 23rd December 2009, 11:40 Quote
Yes Batman was a great game, and E:TW totally deserved the award, although I'd wish it was higher, although one would sensibly argue that the game itself was(and is still) hella buggy.
CardJoe 23rd December 2009, 11:51 Quote
I'd like to remind everyone...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz
If Modern Warfare 2 wins (As I honestly believe it should), I shall work a full week wearing a Kevlar US Army Helmet (with pics)
Baz 23rd December 2009, 11:51 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elton
Yes Batman was a great game, and E:TW totally deserved the award, although I'd wish it was higher, although one would sensibly argue that the game itself was(and is still) hella buggy.

I concur. I love the total war series but E:TW was released in such a ludicrously buggy state and remains so to this day. I've seriously struggled to return to it since getting half way through my canmpaign.

Also, Football Manager 2010 is clearly GOTY. Joe, why wasn't it on this list!
Yemerich 23rd December 2009, 11:56 Quote
[QUOTE=Baz]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elton


Also, Football Manager 2010 is clearly GOTY. Joe, why wasn't it on this list!

because it sux big time!
Digi 23rd December 2009, 11:57 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by
I think the complaints for MW2 MP are unfounded (PC). Sure the system is annoying but once you get in you forget about all that in a melee of glorious violence. I am still playing (schedule permitting) for whole nights and when I realise I have to go to bed I feel like a disappointed child to have to stop.

Batman: AA was impressive and I thoroughly enjoyed it, glad to see it up there. I thought Mirrors Edge had been bashed to oblivion by most people but it seems now it might be worth a buy. (was recently on steam for almost nothing, missed that!)

I haven't played most the rest so - meh.
The Infamous Mr D 23rd December 2009, 12:12 Quote
Results of the list aside, I just find it hilarious that people come on here and complain about the top ten without reading the article. It was USER voted. I have no faith in humanity for exactly this reason.

Still, some of my favourite PC games of 2009 are on the list. And very good games they are too!
fadi299 23rd December 2009, 12:20 Quote
MW2 was a great game but it's not worth first place or even second IMHO!, i'd put it in 4th or 5th, it was a solid game overall, the single player was slightly better than the first, they actually managed to improve on it by making less american missions this time around and let you play more missions as the SAS, and we all know that the SAS missions were by far the highlight of the first game. still, the single player compaign felt disjointed and rushed in places and the storytelling was poor, it felt more like a bunch of maps or skirmishes than a smooth and free-flowing adventure...

Batman:AA is totally worthy of its second place, it was one of the most polished and complete games i played in a long time, it had enough variety, great level design, good story and some fun yet simple gameplay mechanics, i never really felt bored when i was playing it, the game always tried to mix things up and there were enough twists and surprises along the way....Batman:AA was a very high quality title and i was surprised by how good it actually was........bring on the sequel..
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums