bit-gamer.net

Left 4 Dead 2 Review

Comments 1 to 25 of 35

Reply
Gateway 18th November 2009, 11:23 Quote
NO! i was delaying the purchase because i had no good reason to buy it...
Baz 18th November 2009, 11:34 Quote
/angry fanboy boycotters in 3....2.....1.....

Or maybe they're all still tired from the MW2 review?

Seriously though it's great that Valve has improved and added enough from the original L4D recipe to justify an entirely new game and it's obvious that all the content here is much more than a few bits of DLC. A worthy purchase, and for £21 (if bought in a 4 pack) is good value too.
Bauul 18th November 2009, 11:44 Quote
Played it for an hour last night: I fully agree with Joe, it's WAY more than just a bunch of DLC packs. The burning hotel level really just hammers home how much Valve have gone to town on the level design this time around, they feel so much more involved than the original levels.

However, I disagree when it comes to the melee weapons. I was playing it on advanced, and they seemed to fit perfectly. Yes they're insta-kill, but you have to time it just right and getting up close and personal with the zombies always leaves your back exposed. One guy with a chainsaw being covered by three others with rifles is a perfect combination, but it requires teamwork.

You can't really just play with melee weapons alone, and losing your pistol is a big sacrifice, especially early in a campaign when ammo is not so plentiful.

Plus, nothing, and I mean nothing, made me grin more than sticking a chainsaw into the back of a witch and watching the blood fly.
RotoSequence 18th November 2009, 11:53 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauul
Plus, nothing, and I mean nothing, made me grin more than sticking a chainsaw into the back of a witch and watching the blood fly.

Quoted for truth ;)
impar 18th November 2009, 12:02 Quote
Greetings!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
Left 4 Dead 2 really is an essential purchase despite the flaws and the boycotts and totally unimportant controversies that have arisen from its fast development time (for Valve anyway). It’s as simple as that.
I had wrote previously:
Quote:
Originally Posted by impar
Instead of creating a strong L4D community through the release of new content (TF2-style), Valve manages to break the L4D community into three segments (haveL4D-haveL4D2, haveL4D-havenotL4D2, havenotL4D-haveL4D2).
I have joined the "havenotL4D-haveL4D2" group, since I uninstalled L4D yesterday night.
L4D2 is better than the original.
steveo_mcg 18th November 2009, 12:06 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway
NO! i was delaying the purchase because i had no good reason to buy it...

I'm in the same camp i didn't get enough out of l4d because my buddy didn't get it, between the reviews I read yesterday and my buddy buying L4D2, i bought it yesterday, i am weak.

Though i stand by the fragmenting of the community, though i doubt i'll stop playing l4d but I think i'll feel like i'm missing out on the stuff from the sequel.
MajorTom 18th November 2009, 12:07 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe
The Spitter is best at isolating players, right Tom?
Agreed. Your team mate taking screen shots the whole time might have something to do with it though :)

This is a fantastic game. Dark Rain had me on edge when I was trying to get through a cornfield filled with witches. So many memorable moments and I look forward to replaying them all in Verses mode later.
DAVEtheRAVE 18th November 2009, 13:46 Quote
Am going to get it off amazon as I really enjoyed L4D (internet too slow to download)
Orionche 18th November 2009, 13:48 Quote
Quote:
and the worst levels created by Valve are still twice as good as the best created by amateur map-makers.

Thats a bit harsh, Joe. :)
stonedsurd 18th November 2009, 14:11 Quote
Worth it in a 4-pack, not really otherwise.
pizan 18th November 2009, 14:40 Quote
DAMN! Stop giving these games that are supposed to suck good reviews. I can't afford to buy them all. I had Borderllands on my list now MW2 and L4D2. Jerks!
WarrenJ 18th November 2009, 14:58 Quote
out of the last 10 years of gaming, this, is literally the ONLY demo i'll be buying the full game of. Normally its "ooo, what's that.. followed by ..oh, that was nice, where's dinner???" The demo is fantastic.. for me its been "wow, kill those Zombie b*******, mwah ha ha ha" i'll definately be buying it.. might install a dedi server if they allow it.
DarkLord7854 18th November 2009, 15:27 Quote
Played with some BT staff the other night, quite an enjoyable game, my fears of them making it more of expansion were alleviated after playing all 5 campaigns.

I think my two favorites are Dark Carnival and Hard Rain. Though Swamp Fever is quite good too, specially the Finale.

The Bridge level is a blast as well.

Quite happy with this game, let's just hope they don't announce L4D3 too soon and focus on the DLC a bit.


Also, the way the campaigns connect is a lot better, and the new lines for the characters are hilarious.
Matticus 18th November 2009, 15:51 Quote
Looks like I might have to buy this.

Me and my friend played the demo and both thought it was pretty "meh" and didn't really seem much different to L4D. But that may have been because we both had and still have lots of work to do and maybe a little harsh. But everyone seems to love it so I can't see why not.
chokchaioldschool 18th November 2009, 15:57 Quote
Sound great

really want to get this one
chimaera 18th November 2009, 17:55 Quote
Played through the first campaign last night, loved it and appears to more than justify full sequel status to me.
ut66 18th November 2009, 23:22 Quote
Jebus, at least try to hide it a bit, the review feels like pure valve PR. Great work guys
general22 19th November 2009, 02:45 Quote
I was a partial boycotter but I played the demo and I saw these big changes that really made the game less campy and more dynamic than L4D. So I got the game from a a complete stranger on the steam forums because the game is censored here and that fellow lived in the UK.

It is definitely a good game and the scavenge mode is the best multiplayer mode in the game. I mean it sounds really ****, all you have to do is collect gas cans but the intensity of the gameplay of that mode is astounding. Some of my best L4D2 moments so far are in scavenge, its really that good.
Orionche 19th November 2009, 03:35 Quote
Couple of my friends and I played it for two nights in a row, all the campaigns on normal, and had much fun. Liked all of them, except Hard Rain which we thought was fairly boring. The effects were nice and all, but, it WAS a storm and we kinda hoped we'd have some hurricane action, ie. flying tanks, metal sheets and that sort of thing. :)

Personally, tad disappointed with Realism thingy, even on Expert. I/us kinda expected something more "serious" not this light version. :) WTB Masochist mode. :D
HourBeforeDawn 19th November 2009, 03:37 Quote
been playing since the unlock on steam and loving it :)
DarkLord7854 19th November 2009, 03:53 Quote
Just played Versus.. holy crap they made some nice changes, man I'm happy.
Furymouse 19th November 2009, 06:34 Quote
I just got showered with intestines in the tunnel of love. Sounds like my first date.......... :D
flibblesan 19th November 2009, 13:39 Quote
Quote:

that's his 'special' hand ;)
cyrilthefish 19th November 2009, 14:55 Quote
Played the carnival level with 2 friends last night.

Not sure if it was us being simply inept (quite possible :) ) or the fact we had the one CPU player occasionally being retarded, but the game seems a lot harder than the first game.

Carnival on normal mode: 3hours of gameplay, 6 restarts and only 2 of us survived the end piece

Ultimate lol-moment: getting to the safe house on the part just before the finale with us on about 5-10hp each to find a tank INSIDE the safe house

Lots and lots of fun though, worth every penny
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums