Silent Hill Homecoming PC

Bindibadgi 27th February 2009, 12:38 Quote
I completely agree - I love the SH franchise but this game is so very very poor. #3 and #4 were quite bad but at least playable and I felt some compassion for the characters, but this is such a poor game and even poorer PC port it's criminal. I couldn't play it more than 2 hours before I uninstalled it.
Journeyer 27th February 2009, 12:47 Quote
Aw, that's a shame. I Really enjoyed SH 2,3 and 4, and I was looking forward to this one. Well, I guess I might pick it up as soon as it hits the bargain bins.
perplekks45 27th February 2009, 12:48 Quote
I loved every single SH game so far and weirdly enough my favorite was 4. Seeing that 5 is so bad makes me sad as I've been looking forward to playing it for quite some time.

Well... back to 1 and play 'em all again it is I guess. ;)
Kúsař 27th February 2009, 13:20 Quote
PC version of this game deserves "console port" badge. I've encountered numerous technical problems ever since I tried to run the game. Developers bundled obsolete DX redist version so I had to download correct one from MS. Then I had to manually change config file to define controls because they got messed up every time I loaded game. I also went for a cup of coffee as badly implemented binkplayer played intro cut-scene/slideshow for 15 minutes.
The best word to describe most of the combats is "frustration". Especially because in some cases dodge button works rather randomly(or maybe I'm not accurate enough to press dodge button at certain 1msec long moment). I have eventually figured out that the only useful weapon in game is knife, everything else is too slow.
But the most frustrating parts of the game were puzzles where you have to move puzzle pieces with mouse. It often takes incredible amount of effort just to move them. It's as if the game was guessing which way I'm moving mouse instead of reading mouse input, in fact, after so many years this is the first game I have quited in rage because it often took me 10 seconds to move a single piece...

On the other hand it's not all that bad. Though it's not really scary, story & length game is OK and it has sort of "hardcore gameplay" feeling.
This might have been good game if only they bothered a bit more with playtesting PC version.
Bindibadgi 27th February 2009, 13:53 Quote
It's not a good game though - the graphics are appalling, there's no relation to the character and it's so shallow it's almost a parody of itself compared to the previous games. It's just died - the franchise is dead, there's nothing new in 5 that will make anyone want to play it - they should just start something new.
sandys 27th February 2009, 13:54 Quote
If you want a decent horror game give Siren: Blood Curse a bash on PSN its episodic nature means you can try teh first few episodes for a couple of quid before committing, though its less than £15 on bluray.

Like RE and SH its controls are a bit clumsy till you get used to the choices made but the game is good overall.
kenco_uk 27th February 2009, 14:14 Quote
3? Ouch. So if you're wanting to play it, it's best on a console? Reviews seem to be fair to middling at best with some generic "7's" thrown at it.
Sifter3000 27th February 2009, 14:55 Quote
Originally Posted by kenco_uk

TBH, I think they're just being kind. As Bindi says, when it comes down to it, it's just not a good game. The PC is worse, because of the bugs etc, but even on the 360 it'll be shallow and dull.
alleyne 2nd March 2009, 09:12 Quote
nice review, its good to see such a crappy game getting the crappy score it deserves..!
________
Voyager
naokaji 2nd March 2009, 19:53 Quote
3rd person view very rarely works well on the pc.

Anyway, shame to see that they missed yet another chance to make a good horror game for the pc.
sandy7 24th September 2009, 02:12 Quote
hii all, I'm new here,i just played SH homecoming for the PC,and i really don't know what's wrong?
is it the problem from my computer or the Vega?or the problem in the game?
the game is so slow and the resolution is really bad........till the colors it's so dull,should i buy new Vega?or it will be better in another console ?plz anyone tell me??