bit-gamer.net

Mass Effect PC

Comments 1 to 25 of 113

Reply
Cadillac Ferd 27th May 2008, 08:25 Quote
I love me some BioWare, and I'm very glad to see that porting Mass Effect (and that whole EA business) didn't affect the quality of what was clearly one of the best RPG's of the past year.
johnnyboy700 27th May 2008, 08:44 Quote
Yep, I'll give this one a shot now its made it to the PC.
Gunsmith 27th May 2008, 09:30 Quote
i'll give it a shot but it'll struggle to knock SS2 off my rpg topspot,

love the pc gaming master race referance ;)
leexgx 27th May 2008, 10:42 Quote
does this game use any annoying CD protection (securerom) i buy it if i can play it with Alcohol 120% still installed
CardJoe 27th May 2008, 10:53 Quote
It does have some protection on it - the same as BioShock, I've been lead to believe. Whether that will be affected by 120% or not I don't know.
Mentai 27th May 2008, 12:03 Quote
I've got this on preorder, but it comes out a within a week of my exams. Urg!
Sebbo 27th May 2008, 12:08 Quote
i know what you mean Mentai, i'm in the same boat. but, after exams it'll be near impossible to pull me away from my PC :-D
CardJoe 27th May 2008, 12:12 Quote
I'm just gutted because I've promised myself I'm going to finish The Longest Journey and Dreamfall before tackling this in my own time. The first game alone is 50+ hours long!
bahgger 27th May 2008, 12:24 Quote
Why do Bit-Tech get it a whole week and a bit before it arrives in the UK?!?! YOU GODDAMN TEASES
impar 27th May 2008, 12:28 Quote
Greetings!
Quote:
Originally Posted by leexgx
does this game use any annoying CD protection (securerom) ...
The game comes infected with SecuROM.

You are supposed to activate the game online on installation and everytime a patch is applied. Also, you are limited to three installations. After those have been used, you need to call EA and beg for extra installations.

A game to avoid.
Zut 27th May 2008, 12:31 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by bahgger
Why do Bit-Tech get it a whole week and a bit before it arrives in the UK?!?! YOU GODDAMN TEASES

My thoughts exactly... I got my hopes up for a second there!
CardJoe 27th May 2008, 12:42 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by bahgger
Why do Bit-Tech get it a whole week and a bit before it arrives in the UK?!?! YOU GODDAMN TEASES

Because we rule. This is why they call me Awesome Welles.
bahgger 27th May 2008, 12:52 Quote
/bitter
[PUNK] crompers 27th May 2008, 12:53 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by impar
A game to avoid.

A game to avoid because of a minor annoyance such as securom? It seems a bit silly to deny yourself something you may have been looking forward to because of copy protection. OK so securom is a bit irritating but it hardly affects your experience of the game unless you are a pirate, in which case i have no sympathy anyway.

Personally i cant wait to buy the game, been looking forward to this one for a while. I had to play through KOTOR I & II just to hold off for a little while!
impar 27th May 2008, 13:08 Quote
Greetings!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crompers
A game to avoid because of a minor annoyance such as securom?
Absolutely. Ludic software with limited installations is to be avoided.
Spore is out of my list also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crompers
OK so securom is a bit irritating but it hardly affects your experience of the game...
My game experience would be affected in July/August, after the upgrade.
You see, I dual-boot XP-32 and Vista-64, buying "Mass Infect" in June and installing it in both my OS, I already expended two out of the three allowed installations.
Then, I upgrade in July/August, re-install the OS and am unable to install the game in both OS without having to place an international call to EA and beg for a fourth installation. If EA allows a fourth installation...
Quote:
Originally Posted by crompers
... but it hardly affects your experience of the game unless you are a pirate, in which case i have no sympathy anyway.
I also have no sympathy for pirates or P2P freeloaders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crompers
Personally i cant wait to buy the game, been looking forward to this one for a while.
So was I.
steveo_mcg 27th May 2008, 13:12 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by crompers
A game to avoid because of a minor annoyance such as securom? It seems a bit silly to deny yourself something you may have been looking forward to because of copy protection. OK so securom is a bit irritating but it hardly affects your experience of the game unless you are a pirate, in which case i have no sympathy anyway.

Personally i cant wait to buy the game, been looking forward to this one for a while. I had to play through KOTOR I & II just to hold off for a little while!

Your right as a pirate its much easier to enjoy the game.
[PUNK] crompers 27th May 2008, 13:15 Quote
Well I must say I can see you point of view there, but at the same time im sure you'd accept that your situation is probably not representative of most people who will buy the game.

Copy protection is certainly something that needs to be looked at in PC gaming but i have to say that i find most are very dramatic when describing it.

When Bioshock came out everyone threw their hands in the air and proclaimed that PC gamers where a dying breed etc and then promptly went out, bought the game and after 2K ironed out a couple of issues within the first few days of release, thoroughly enjoyed it.
steveo_mcg 27th May 2008, 13:20 Quote
Glad you think so, i've still not played it and if you don't mind i'll keep my foil hat on. Come to forums and look for help when an old version of securom breaks something though, i'll have a laugh then try and help you out.
Whalemeister 27th May 2008, 13:28 Quote
Joe, you really should get checked out at the doctor's for vertigo or just keep off the quaaludes...

Your negative disposition towards motion-blur seems to come through in nearly every PC game review I've seen on here in the last year or so.
[PUNK] crompers 27th May 2008, 13:33 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo_mcg
Glad you think so, i've still not played it and if you don't mind i'll keep my foil hat on. Come to forums and look for help when an old version of securom breaks something though, i'll have a laugh then try and help you out.

Well its a shame you haven't played what is generally considered to be one of the best games of last year, or even 5 years.

I bought my PC to play games and im certainly not going to cut out premium titles due to a piece of software i would rather publishers didn't use to protect their product. In that case i may as well buy a Dell and a 360 and have done with it.
CardJoe 27th May 2008, 13:45 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalemeister
Joe, you really should get checked out at the doctor's for vertigo or just keep off the quaaludes...

Your negative disposition towards motion-blur seems to come through in nearly every PC game review I've seen on here in the last year or so.

Really? I can only remember mentioning it in Crysis and this. Sorry! The problem here was the dual effect of graininess and blurriness though
Veles 27th May 2008, 14:12 Quote
By buying games with this crap on you're basically bending over and saying, yeah it's ok to treat your customers like criminals.
cyrilthefish 27th May 2008, 14:15 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by crompers
OK so securom is a bit irritating but it hardly affects your experience of the game unless you are a pirate, in which case it doesn't affect you in any way.
Fixed. :(

I'm still 50/50 on whether to buy the game and crack it or just not buy it at all.
Do i really want to encourage this stupid copy protection by giving money to the people implementing it?
impar 27th May 2008, 14:37 Quote
Greetings!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crompers
... your situation is probably not representative of most people who will buy the game.
Most people wont install the game more than three times?
"Mass Infect" was supposed to be a triology. Wouldnt people want to replay the first game before playing the following ones?
Quote:
Originally Posted by crompers
When Bioshock came out everyone threw their hands in the air ...
Bioshock can be installed in five systems five times for each system (a 5x5 approach as the 2K spinners put it) and has a revoke tool to recover installations. EA/Bioware dont even know if a change in CPU/GPU is considered a new system.
steveo_mcg 27th May 2008, 15:14 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by crompers
Well its a shame you haven't played what is generally considered to be one of the best games of last year, or even 5 years.

I bought my PC to play games and im certainly not going to cut out premium titles due to a piece of software i would rather publishers didn't use to protect their product. In that case i may as well buy a Dell and a 360 and have done with it.

Or the most over rated depends on your point of view. And to miss out on one game is necessarily a hart ache when there is rich selection of titles to choose from just because your not playing "premium" titles doesn't mean your not enjoying all pc gaming has to offer in which case a (low end) dell and 360 isn't going to cut it.

I bought my PC to do many things on, gaming is one of them, banking is another, for that reason i will not allow its security to be compromised by a potentially malicious programme that i neither want nor need. As such i haven't installed bioshock or any thing else with similar protection methods, my loss perhaps but i have my reasons and while they may seem daft as long as every thing is trucking along nicely wait till they're not, can you say Starforce.
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums