Penumbra: Black Plague

yakyb 20th February 2008, 10:30 Quote
so you have overture as episode one and black plague is the 2nd?

ilol pick this one up i think been on the lookout for something new
yakyb 20th February 2008, 10:31 Quote
oops double post
CardJoe 20th February 2008, 10:43 Quote
Correct - Overture is ep 1 and this is ep 2. They are both completely playable on their own though and utterly self-contained. Personally, I prefer the latter one and would suggest you play that.
adamc 20th February 2008, 10:54 Quote
sounds like a fairly neat game. Since i can no longer trust ign nor gamespot I'll go by your review Joe :P
will. 20th February 2008, 11:50 Quote
It looks like the source engine.

Once I'm bored of COD4 I'll have a look at this :D
p3n 20th February 2008, 12:04 Quote
if thats the source engine then the level/art designers made an absolutely giant cock up
CardJoe 20th February 2008, 12:23 Quote
It's not source engine. It's a custom built engine the designers built at university. The physics don't run on Havok or Ageia either, they use the free and open source Newton Physics Library. Because the engine was created at Uni and because they were hippy students at the time it also means the game is good for porting to Linux. The original is already available on Mac and Linux and this version should be ported very soon.
Sparrowhawk 20th February 2008, 18:39 Quote
Hunting for Bromine?
God I wish I could figure out how to run System Shock on this box.
CanadianViking 21st February 2008, 01:27 Quote
The thing that amazes me the most is the fact that they only have a two man team. That alone shows their dedication.

I might have to check this game out when I get my new PC. Sounds quite interesting.
Woodstock 21st February 2008, 05:36 Quote
think i will download the linux version at some point, anyone have any idea how my x1700 mobility would run it?
CardJoe 21st February 2008, 08:57 Quote
Try the tech demo I point to in the review - 100 or so meg and the performance is identical.