Top mods - Total War and Oblivion

Mosey 18th May 2006, 11:34 Quote
I agree, the Obscuro's Oblivion Mod is a good idea. The painful level system is one of the reasons i stopped playing Oblivion, however, i may re-roll with this mod :)

Good work. Good review.
hughwi 18th May 2006, 12:44 Quote
Thank you, these kind of articles are brilliant, really informative, and im sure it will help many people to pick up their older collection of titles, dust them off and give them a really modding! Infact, im going to go and re-play Total War!
Garside 18th May 2006, 13:19 Quote
I am a massive Rome Total War fan who has been playing Total Realism for a while now. It's an absolute belter of a conversion and despite some of the units looking a little bit dodgy and the action being a tad too slow it goes a massive way in improving an already brilliant game.

For those who want more mod knowledge you should check out www.moddb.com as they have a pretty comprehensive selection of every mod.
JonDixon 18th May 2006, 14:00 Quote
Great article. I feel this could be turned into a series concentrating on the different types of mods you suggested.

The total conversions are few and far between. One I have just come across is Thief2x (http://www.thief2x.com/) which adds a whole new story to Thief 2 including new FMV.

Been searching round my house for the box, as I know I've got this someplace.
specofdust 18th May 2006, 14:08 Quote
Good read. I kinda feel you've taken something, with Oblivion, that could have a 50 page article written on mods so far, and really shrunk it down. You've given people a taste of what exists, but it felt kind of like an introduction that needed at least another 5-10 page of mod guideyness.

It was very intresting to read about RTW's mods though. I reckon many don't think about the mods for a game like that, but they can bring a lot of enjoyment. Often rather hardcore though.
Tulatin 18th May 2006, 15:48 Quote
Painful? Dude, Oblivion is PAINFULLY easy when you get it right from the beginning. Or, if you've having trouble at level 20? Go to the arcane university, and make yourself nice poofy enchanted gear - my charater topped out with like 135 strength - good for hauling just over 800 LBs of lootables.
specofdust 18th May 2006, 15:56 Quote
Tulatin, I gathered that he actually meant that it was painfully easy ;)

I'm pretty sure OOO makes the levelling harder, but I've got so many mods in there to fix things like the leveling system that I can't remember for sure.
Tulatin 18th May 2006, 15:59 Quote
Yeah, and there are other tweaks to make the game way harder - things like no health regain from resting, your character needing rest (yeah, i noticed how i could go 70+ days with no sleep), no visual on the lockpicking etc... some of them seemed practical but others pushed the borders too close to realism. Then again, the game would be fun taking another run at it when it's harder.
automagsrock 19th May 2006, 09:19 Quote
I like oscuros mod. It rules :D
Rich_13 21st May 2006, 22:34 Quote
this is a total shot in the darl and prob moving away from bit-tech-ness but simple mod tutorials like you get in some magazines would be very cool also...