bit-gamer.net

Metro: Last Light Review

Comments 1 to 25 of 27

Reply
Hustler 28th May 2013, 11:36 Quote
Just comparing the shots between low and highest Gfx settings, and all I can say is I feel sorry for those people who've spent hundreds of pounds on new GPU's in anticipation of this...because I cant see any difference..at all.

Has there been a mix up in screenshots or something?
GeorgeStorm 28th May 2013, 11:42 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustler
Just comparing the shots between low and highest Gfx settings, and all I can say is I feel sorry for those people who've spent hundreds of pounds on new GPU's in anticipation of this...because I cant see any difference..at all.

Has there been a mix up in screenshots or something?

+1

Just had a quick look and apart from a bit of movement the textures etc look identical?
DbD 28th May 2013, 12:00 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustler
Just comparing the shots between low and highest Gfx settings, and all I can say is I feel sorry for those people who've spent hundreds of pounds on new GPU's in anticipation of this...because I cant see any difference..at all.

Has there been a mix up in screenshots or something?

+2 they look identical.
rollo 28th May 2013, 12:02 Quote
The low one looks better than the very high one in all honesty.

Niether looks like they have any form of AA.
Jack_Pepsi 28th May 2013, 12:20 Quote
Can't say I enjoy this review very much.

:(
law99 28th May 2013, 12:32 Quote
Thin... although I've purchased the original instead.
Spreadie 28th May 2013, 12:48 Quote
TBH, none of the screenies do the game justice. I've played it through twice and I think it looks stunning.
V3ctor 28th May 2013, 13:22 Quote
Guys... Will u make a review of this game with GPU's? To see how it handles?

Thanks
Stanley Tweedle 28th May 2013, 13:54 Quote
LOL... what an absolute joke. Can't see any difference between lowest setting and highest. Again I think this comes down to Last Light being a console game.
rollo 28th May 2013, 14:20 Quote
Looks alot different on my own pc suggests the screenshots are either low Rez or all identical. Which is what I wrote at first.

On lowest settings game looks like a console game on max it looks awesome in comparison.
Shirty 28th May 2013, 14:23 Quote
I'll take the liberty of quoting my comment in the 780 review thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirty
I think that's key actually. Graphics have improved so far that whilst playing you'd be very hard pushed to notice the difference between max and very high (or even medium) settings. Metro: Last Light is a great example of this. It looks stunning even on LOW settings and runs beautifully, and whilst my 7950 (so by definition anything above a 660Ti from the green team) can run it on the highest settings at 1080p, should I choose to enjoy higher frame rates I can sacrifice a tiny amount of superfluous detail and achieve just that.

Also, I loved the game. Yes it's on rails but it gets away with it. It looks stunning apart from some of the facial animations (the only thing that separates it from Crysis 3 to be honest). I've played through twice to get both endings, and went fully stealthy on my "good" playthrough.
Spreadie 28th May 2013, 15:18 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirty
I've played through twice to get both endings, and went fully stealthy on my "good" playthrough.
Oh ffs, Nick. Now I have to play it through a third time - I've had the same ending twice!

...or are you jesting? :|
rayson 28th May 2013, 16:06 Quote
i don't what people are talking but in the shots i noticed that the background the and volumetric stuff is pretty bad. it is only the character and the stuff on the table that don't look much different
bawjaws 28th May 2013, 16:09 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Tweedle
LOL... what an absolute joke. Can't see any difference between lowest setting and highest. Again I think this comes down to Last Light being a console game.

Oh man, you are such a troll!
Shirty 28th May 2013, 16:56 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadie
Oh ffs, Nick. Now I have to play it through a third time - I've had the same ending twice!

...or are you jesting? :|

Not jesting, but you can always watch it on Youtube if you can't be arsed to play through a third time...
Spreadie 28th May 2013, 17:02 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirty
Not jesting, but you can always watch it on Youtube if you can't be arsed to play through a third time...
Pfft! How very dare you! If you don't earn it, you shouldn't be allowed to see it! :)
Shirty 28th May 2013, 17:06 Quote
That was my logic, although I hat to check the criteria for a good ending before beginning so I sort of cheated...
Spreadie 28th May 2013, 17:17 Quote
Yeah, I'm wondering about that...

**Spoiler alert**
On the first play through, I killed Pavel and the Red mole/chemist chap. However, the second time, I let them live - I thought those might have been the moral choices that swung it. Clearly not or, at least, not alone.

BTW, the ending I got involved triggering the bomb in D6 and having Anna (I assume, although I thought the "down & dirty" bit was a dream sequence) telling my kid what a wonderful human being I was.
Shirty 28th May 2013, 17:21 Quote
Nope, there's quite a bit more to it than that and you can expect the good playthrough to take a bit longer than the standard balls out Rambo-style assault.
Spreadie 28th May 2013, 17:27 Quote
Ah, so a stealth approach is required then, meaning more knockouts rather than kills. There are a few larger scale warehouse battles which do, in retrospect, have some fairly clear stealth pathways through them.

The limit of my stealth thus far has been to snipe people with a suppressed weapon when they're out of sight of their buddies
r3loaded 29th May 2013, 11:48 Quote
Developer: 2AGames - I'm sure you mean 4A Games? :p
fix-the-spade 29th May 2013, 13:40 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadie
Yeah, I'm wondering about that...

As well as avoiding/knocking out/saving enemies you have to explore the levels carefully as well, the game is full of little off shoots and dark tunnels that look lovely and uninviting, but will contain both items and +points for your ending should you explore them. Just forging forwards Call of Duty style is a huge no no for getting the goodending.
MjFrosty 30th May 2013, 12:06 Quote
Played 15 minutes and love the atmosphere as I did in 2033. Tried playing with 4x SSAA but even with two way Titan SLi the frame rate suffers. This game will really push your system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustler
Just comparing the shots between low and highest Gfx settings, and all I can say is I feel sorry for those people who've spent hundreds of pounds on new GPU's in anticipation of this...because I cant see any difference..at all.

Has there been a mix up in screenshots or something?

There isn't much difference when comparing, not that's easily noticeable in screenshots


1920x1200 Very High SSAA 4x is very nice to look at, but the hit on performance is huge. I think I'm currently having some SLi problems though, as the game has dropped in performance drastically since yesterday :(


http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/9477/metroll2013052916342882.png

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/1619/metroll2013052916082359.png
Teelzebub 30th May 2013, 12:12 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadie
Ah, so a stealth approach is required then, meaning more knockouts rather than kills. There are a few larger scale warehouse battles which do, in retrospect, have some fairly clear stealth pathways through them.

The limit of my stealth thus far has been to snipe people with a suppressed weapon when they're out of sight of their buddies

There's a lot more to it if you want the alternative ending you can knock them out to your hearts content

http://www.gamesradar.com/metro-last-light-alternate-ending-guide-and-walkthrough/
Spreadie 30th May 2013, 12:51 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by MjFrosty

1920x1200 Very High SSAA 4x is very nice to look at, but the hit on performance is huge. I think I'm currently having some SLi problems though, as the game has dropped in performance drastically since yesterday :(
It's a small matter, but would you mind linking to images and displaying a preview rather than uploading multi-megabyte images directly to the thread?

It slows page loading to a crawl on my works machine. ;)
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums