bit-gamer.net

Discworld: Ankh-Morpork Review

Comments 1 to 25 of 29

Reply
DwarfKiller 3rd December 2011, 12:57 Quote
I'm surprised this is the first I'm hearing of it. I suppose I'll have to ask the Hogfather for one this year.
Nickel 3rd December 2011, 13:11 Quote
Paul, you are awesome for doing this review. That is all.
John_T 3rd December 2011, 13:36 Quote
Terry Pratchet is the Jonathan Swift of our age. Only better.

A pity there's no way I could get any of my friends or family anywhere near a board game, as I would love to play this, especially after that review...
Paradigm Shifter 3rd December 2011, 13:41 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_T
A pity there's no way I could get any of my friends or family anywhere near a board game, as I would love to play this, especially after that review...
Same here. Don't stand a chance; I might get to play it once (if lucky) but then it'd never get played again.

...

Does is say anywhere in it/on it who did the artwork? Doesn't look like Josh Kirby's work...
Phil Rhodes 3rd December 2011, 14:01 Quote
I doubt it would be, he died in 2001.
Paradigm Shifter 3rd December 2011, 14:03 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Rhodes
I doubt it would be, he died in 2001.
Didn't know that.
John_T 3rd December 2011, 14:19 Quote
Paul Kidby now does the artwork for the Discworld books, (so assuming he did this as well).
favst89 3rd December 2011, 17:45 Quote
Excellent I didn't know about this but now I want it.
I have Thud and much like in the books its quite difficult to play both sides well.
Quote:
It could come with a pointy hat that says Wizard on it

Should this not be "Wizzard"?
Material 3rd December 2011, 20:34 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel
Paul, you are awesome for doing this review. That is all.

No problem, it was a pleasure, if only they were all this easy
Quote:
Originally Posted by favst89
Should this not be "Wizzard"?

Ha ha, yes it should. It actually was before a certain editor got hold of it, I'll change it back.
Wavefront 4th December 2011, 02:21 Quote
Thanks for reviewing this paul, im a big discworld fan but I had no idea this existed its defiantly going on my hogswatch list :D
PS: the artists called Peter Dennis
LordPyrinc 4th December 2011, 06:24 Quote
Hum... I've never heard of Discworld or Terry Pratchet. Guess this somehow missed me over all the years that I was immersed in other books of the fantasy genre. Googled it though and it does sound intriguing. I just might have to pick up the first book the next time I go shopping.
Bluephoenix 4th December 2011, 07:25 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordPyrinc
Hum... I've never heard of Discworld or Terry Pratchet. Guess this somehow missed me over all the years that I was immersed in other books of the fantasy genre. Googled it though and it does sound intriguing. I just might have to pick up the first book the next time I go shopping.

you'll find the first book to be dangerous for the wallet, for it will be empty and a spare bookshelf full afterwards.
TraumaticHug 4th December 2011, 11:22 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordPyrinc
Hum... I've never heard of Discworld or Terry Pratchet. Guess this somehow missed me over all the years that I was immersed in other books of the fantasy genre. Googled it though and it does sound intriguing. I just might have to pick up the first book the next time I go shopping.

It's weird going back to the first books as some of the characters are quite different, especially Death in The Colour of Magic. It is also fun(ny) to see how much his writing has improved over the years.

I gave my Dad the first book and he wasn't too impressed, but I hope he sticks with it. While the earlier books are not required reading to enjoy the more recent, they definitely make it a much richer experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordPyrinc
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_T
A pity there's no way I could get any of my friends or family anywhere near a board game, as I would love to play this, especially after that review...

Same here. Don't stand a chance; I might get to play it once (if lucky) but then it'd never get played again.

I also have this problem.. the only other person I know into Terry Pratchett moved down to England :'( ..may still get it though for that one glorious game with the family on Boxing Day ^_^
Xtrafresh 4th December 2011, 14:29 Quote
I see a bit-tech Ankh-Morpork ring in the making :D

Too bad i don't live in the UK, or I'd have a go at setting it up...
PingCrosby 4th December 2011, 15:15 Quote
Bah Humbug, play a real mans game, like Hide and Seek.....
Blademrk 5th December 2011, 11:33 Quote
By Jingo, that sounds awesome.
Journeyer 5th December 2011, 12:20 Quote
Seems interesting. :D

Although...
Fourth paragraph: "...summoning a hoard of marauding demons." I will state, for the record, that I am unsure whether or not the actual marauding demons are hoarders, but I feel confident when I ask if that should not be "horde" instead.
Digibull 5th December 2011, 13:17 Quote
I saw this, half choked on my lunch, forwarded it to my g/f and my mum (both huge TP fans) and proceeded to hunt the internet for somewhere I can buy this right the hell now! It's 30 quid on amazon, can anyone recommend another online retailer where the costs is closer to whats quoted by Bit-tech?
Digibull 5th December 2011, 14:24 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blademrk
from the link on the top of the review ;)

*facepalm*

Thanks, mate.
kzinti1 5th December 2011, 18:19 Quote
Never heard of it. Except for chess, I haven't played a board game since the extremely early double digits.
Board games on a computer site? It must really be a boring day in the world of computers.
Or someone was bribed to push this thing during the Holiday season.
Guess which I suspect. :(
John_T 5th December 2011, 19:29 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzinti1
Never heard of it. Except for chess, I haven't played a board game since the extremely early double digits.
Board games on a computer site? It must really be a boring day in the world of computers.
Or someone was bribed to push this thing during the Holiday season.
Guess which I suspect. :(

Never heard of what? This particular game, or of the Discworld series in general? (Sir) Terry Pratchett is one of the most successful living authors in the world and has sold over 65m books - as well as some of them having been adapted as plays & big budget TV programmes. The only reason there haven't been any major films so far is because he refused to sell the rights for so long - and I read that Sam Raimi, Danny Boyle and Terry Gilliam have all expressed interest in adapting some of his stories.

I really can't see why this shouldn't be reviewed on here, as I think there's quite a large crossover from people who are interested in technology & computer games and those who are interested in fantasy/fiction & board games - especially when concerning a board game in the run up to Christmas.

I think the notion of bribery to put this up is pretty silly really....
chimaera 7th December 2011, 14:08 Quote
Speaking as a 33-year old man that still thoroughly enjoys boardgames (Particularly a fan of the Catan and Carcasonne games, along with Battlestar Galactica) and is also a massive fan of Discworld, I have to say I'm glad to see such a review here - especially since I'd been eyeing the game up anyway and the review has pushed it into the 'must-buy' category for me.
Grimloon 8th December 2011, 00:38 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_T
Never heard of what? This particular game, or of the Discworld series in general? (Sir) Terry Pratchett is one of the most successful living authors in the world and has sold over 65m books - as well as some of them having been adapted as plays & big budget TV programmes. The only reason there haven't been any major films so far is because he refused to sell the rights for so long - and I read that Sam Raimi, Danny Boyle and Terry Gilliam have all expressed interest in adapting some of his stories.

I really can't see why this shouldn't be reviewed on here, as I think there's quite a large crossover from people who are interested in technology & computer games and those who are interested in fantasy/fiction & board games - especially when concerning a board game in the run up to Christmas.

I think the notion of bribery to put this up is pretty silly really....

^What he said. However, Sam Raimi couldn't cut it, Danny Boyle wants to be way too serious but Terry Gilliam? Maybe.

I'd give the vote to (Sir) David Jason as he's done such a good job so far with the Pratchett adaptations he's performed in. There's a man who understands the spirit of the books and has fun playing the role as well as choosing the right people to work with (Tim Curry as the Archchancellor? Genius!)

Now I just need to inform the family that this will be bought for me for crimble and we will be playing it! Fortunately, youngest and eldest brothers are Pratchett fans so the other three should be relatively easily beaten in to line persuaded that this should be the case :D

EDIT: OK, I've been absent a wee while but when did my lack of avatar get changed to more than slightly scary Crimble Relix? One should not misuse the image of the Relix for he has cheesecake which may not be delivered to the blasphemer. This would be bad.
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums