bit-gamer.net

The Bitmap Brothers Interview

Comments 1 to 25 of 36

Reply
GuilleAcoustic 27th April 2011, 12:30 Quote
So much time spent playing their games on my Amiga 2000, back in the 80's / 90's.
Jamie 27th April 2011, 12:45 Quote
I think I've played all of their games. Xenon 2 was one of my favs.
FuzzyOne 27th April 2011, 12:56 Quote
Wow flashback, Gods was awesome
Aracos 27th April 2011, 13:02 Quote
I love gods, I must play it again, anywhere know where I can acquire it legally? GOG doesn't have it :-(
Blademrk 27th April 2011, 13:28 Quote
There is a PC CD with a few of their games on: Magic Pockets, Gods, Cadaver, Xenon 2 & Speedball 2 (I bought it years ago when it was released, you might have a bit of luck with ebay). Not sure how they'll run on Win7, I'll try to dig the disc out tonight and find out.

http://www.bitmap-brothers.co.uk/our-games/past/bb-comp.htm
Coltch 27th April 2011, 13:36 Quote
Still got Speedball on disc for PC.

Would be nice to have a blast on Xenon 2 or Speedball on my Android phone - though it's a shame that it won't happen
flibblesan 27th April 2011, 13:46 Quote
Wow. He has absolutely no clue about Android does he? Paid apps and games do as well on Android as they do on iOS. Every platform has piracy even iOS.
Paul2011 27th April 2011, 13:52 Quote
Xenon 2, what a game, spent a good year or 2 addicted to that game. Loved my Amiga and had great memories of "ice cream ice cream!" with speedball 2.
Fizzban 27th April 2011, 14:10 Quote
I spent so much time playing Chaos Engine on my Amiga 1200 back in the day. Happy, happy memories. :)
Bungletron 27th April 2011, 14:16 Quote
Used to smash those games for hours on my Amiga 500 as a kid. I did pick up a copy of Xenon II in a bargin bin on floppy disk for PC several years ago and it is true, the sound is awful on PC compared to Amiga. The only way forward is Amiga emulation.
CardJoe 27th April 2011, 14:26 Quote
I played Xenon 2 on my Amiga A500+ over and over again. I got through to the second level! Once.
PQuiff 27th April 2011, 14:32 Quote
Bit-Tech your rocking. First interview with the world of tanks chaps, now weve got the bitmap!...Nerdgasm. Id like to as publishers to stop being dicks, give Bitmap some money.

Id secondly like to appologise to both the bitmaps for playing a pirate version of xenon2 and to Robert Gordons Institute of Technology for infecting there entire network with a virus from said dodgy copy game. I got HELL for that, go Karma.

Id sooo love xenon 3. Ill buy a legit copy this time, promise.
veato 27th April 2011, 14:57 Quote
""I'm not sure about Android. The problem with Android is that everybody wants games for nothing, and they don't want to pay anything. Why should we spend money on something when we're not even going to recover our costs? Android's a very difficult one, because it seems like it's a free market. I don't know if there's a lot of piracy – there probably is. And if it's not commercially viable, then why bother? We're not in this business to give things away. If we can't cover the development costs, and if we're not making a profit, then what's the point? I might as well give my money to charity. ""

WHAT?

"I don't know if there is a lot of piracy - there probably is."

So you dont know but you're just going to assume there is. Brilliant!

And by the way I pay for apps and games on Android and dont expect them free. Yes I got Angry Birds free (laden with adverts) but I'd happily pay for it without the ads.
SiNTAX 27th April 2011, 15:10 Quote
If they release The Chaos Engine on PSP or as a mini, they have one solid sale here! I was only looking at my old copy the other day (Atari ST) and really wanted to play it, but I have no TV/Monitor to play it on anymore. Not even sure if the ST still even works.... weekend project?

Off topic a little, but looking at my old ST games make me miss they way video games used to come, bring back the big box!!!!
GuilleAcoustic 27th April 2011, 15:12 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungletron
Used to smash those games for hours on my Amiga 500 as a kid. I did pick up a copy of Xenon II in a bargin bin on floppy disk for PC several years ago and it is true, the sound is awful on PC compared to Amiga. The only way forward is Amiga emulation.

I spent a whole day lately playin' on an Amiga emulator (winuae even emulate the floppy drive sound ... and perfectly). There're software to dump your Amiga bios and make ROM from your Amiga floppy disks.

We played : IK+ (International Karate +), Sensible world of soccer, Cannon fodder, Disc, Speedball 2, Vroom, Populous, ProjectX, etc.

So many great memories :D

EDIT : You can use UAE4Droid on Android (it is free) ... but an Android device with a full keyboard (Moto Droid, HTC Desire Z, etc.) is more than welcomed.
maverik-sg1 27th April 2011, 15:44 Quote
Ahh man, you guys just brought up so many sweet memories - good to see all these 'greats' get together for some modern-day madness, we're just missing Rob Hubbard to do a music score now :)

Talking retro - I'd love to see a new 'Elite' I read a few year back that Mr Bell was working on it, also Paradroid/Uridium would be a cool remake for the tablet/smartphone generation I am sure.
GuilleAcoustic 27th April 2011, 15:52 Quote
OMG, Frontier : Elite
azrael- 27th April 2011, 16:19 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by flibblesan
Wow. He has absolutely no clue about Android does he? Paid apps and games do as well on Android as they do on iOS. Every platform has piracy even iOS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by veato
<SNIP>

"I don't know if there is a lot of piracy - there probably is."

So you dont know but you're just going to assume there is. Brilliant!

And by the way I pay for apps and games on Android and dont expect them free. Yes I got Angry Birds free (laden with adverts) but I'd happily pay for it without the ads.
Loved Bitmap Brothers games in their (and my) heyday, but his Android comments got to me too. I could have understood him playing the "fragmentation" card, but to simply assume all Android software (or at least games) is pirated seems moronic, to put it diplomatically. Perhaps he hasn't access to a good Android developer?
UrbanSmooth 27th April 2011, 16:34 Quote
Droid X users, rejoice!

The largest current phone screen + games = magnificent! ;)
Bauul 27th April 2011, 16:57 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrael-
Loved Bitmap Brothers games in their (and my) heyday, but his Android comments got to me too. I could have understood him playing the "fragmentation" card, but to simply assume all Android software (or at least games) is pirated seems moronic, to put it diplomatically. Perhaps he hasn't access to a good Android developer?

Totally agree, that totally put me off the rest of the interview.

Just because there is more free stuff available on Android doesn't mean that no paid for game sells at all.

The Angry Birds one is strange - people are desperate for a paid for version that's free of Ads, but the devs won't budge.
GuilleAcoustic 27th April 2011, 17:41 Quote
I have to agréé. I fed up with those ad full apps. I prefear paid app over free ones with ads
Bakes 27th April 2011, 18:41 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by veato
""I'm not sure about Android. The problem with Android is that everybody wants games for nothing, and they don't want to pay anything. Why should we spend money on something when we're not even going to recover our costs? Android's a very difficult one, because it seems like it's a free market. I don't know if there's a lot of piracy – there probably is. And if it's not commercially viable, then why bother? We're not in this business to give things away. If we can't cover the development costs, and if we're not making a profit, then what's the point? I might as well give my money to charity. ""

WHAT?

"I don't know if there is a lot of piracy - there probably is."

So you dont know but you're just going to assume there is. Brilliant!

And by the way I pay for apps and games on Android and dont expect them free. Yes I got Angry Birds free (laden with adverts) but I'd happily pay for it without the ads.

Rovio make more money from Angry Birds with ads than their paid-for iPhone version. Having ads and no paid version also effectively makes piracy impossible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flibblesan
Wow. He has absolutely no clue about Android does he? Paid apps and games do as well on Android as they do on iOS. Every platform has piracy even iOS.

That is far from true. Whilst free apps are extremely successful on Android, the number of extremely successful paid apps is extremely small, and is widely known to be. I know this is an old statistic, but it seems pretty relevant: http://larvalabs.com/blog/android/android-market-payouts-total-2-of-app-stores-1b/

For more relevant comparisons, Doodle Jump has sold something like 3 million on iPhone - it's in the 1-500,000 bracket on Android. Estimates from analysts also place Android in a low position: http://techcrunch.com/2011/02/21/861-5-percent-growth-android-puny/

Having said that, I know from experience that mobile advertising usually results in larger profits on small, multiple use apps - and if you are likely to get a lot of playtime out of an app, you could justify making an ad-supported version.
pbryanw 27th April 2011, 20:49 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe
I played Xenon 2 on my Amiga A500+ over and over again. I got through to the second level! Once.
Same here, could get past level 1 on Xenon 2, and then past the Spider on level 2, but always got stuck about half-way through level 2. Damn, those Amiga shooters were hard. Same problem with SWIV & Blood Money (both excellent Amiga shooters) - could never get past level 1!

Maybe that's why I loved the old RPGs on the Amiga, like Eye of the Beholder, Heimdall & Hired Guns.
ydna666 27th April 2011, 21:59 Quote
Favourite game ever: Chaos Engine on the Amiga.
The Bitmap Brother games were the best back then. I hope to see Chaos Engine and Speedball making a comeback. The graphics, soundtrack and cool factor were awesome!!!
(Spent my childhood playing these. Was like OMG!!!! when I saw the link on the homepage for this).
Skiddywinks 27th April 2011, 22:50 Quote
I thought Z was coming to Android? The interview makes it sound like he has no interest what-so-ever in doing so.
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums