bit-tech.net

Making Gaming Better

Comments 1 to 25 of 54

Reply
E-Jungle 24th April 2008, 15:15 Quote
Even though it's considered wrong i still like to download games before i buy them. I don't mind shelling out for them but i want to know it's worth the money.
CardJoe 24th April 2008, 15:16 Quote
Demo.

Cough.

Crap, I always get my coughs wrong.
E-Jungle 24th April 2008, 15:18 Quote
Yup, but a demo doesn't always resemble the finished product.
CardJoe 24th April 2008, 15:22 Quote
Care to give me an example of that supposed point? Between demos and reviews there's no need to pirate.

It's very much like stealing a necklace from a shop to try it on and see if it looks good, but promising to go back and buy it later. Intention doesn't matter because the reality is that you've stolen.
kenco_uk 24th April 2008, 15:25 Quote
Also, demo's aren't always available, unfortunately. When they are, it's brilliant: I totally agree that a demo gives you enough playtime to form a decision over purchasing the full game.
E-Jungle 24th April 2008, 15:26 Quote
Hence why i said that i know it's considered wrong. Example: The Crysis demo just doesn't run smooth on my pc. The full version runs great with the same settings.
airchie 24th April 2008, 15:27 Quote
Good list.
Can't disagree with anything on it personally. :)
Jamie 24th April 2008, 15:32 Quote
I hear Burnout Paradise is an example of a bad demo.
CardJoe 24th April 2008, 15:35 Quote
It's not bad per se, it just doesn't fully show off the game.
Veles 24th April 2008, 15:44 Quote
Darkstar one had a horrible demo.

Well, the demo was pretty great, that's the problem, the final game wasn't. The demo worked perfectly smooth, the final game was horrible buggy.

The demo was quite short, so when I bought the game I expected more, instead, I got the short demo, repeated, over and over, with bugs, it was horrible.
mrb_no1 24th April 2008, 15:47 Quote
good article, raising important points. Now that i am away from uni and in life, i buy most things as i took advantage whilst at university. love the pic for the article too

and as an admin on my clan's bf2142 server, we dont tolerate the offensive names, you'll get a perm ban unless its funny and ingenious in which case i would kick you once for it and expect to see it change, failure to do so results in a perm ban. We dont do flaming or noobing, if you want to be offensive with someone, join their squad and use the voip to bash eachother but keep it off of the ingame texts... sometimes it can be hard for noobs though, if you come onto a clan server and we are there, it'll be hard to rack up points if you are against us because of squad play and our experience, but still you learn alot from mistakes and when people better you.

peace

fatman
E-Jungle 24th April 2008, 15:58 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe
It's very much like stealing a necklace from a shop to try it on and see if it looks good, but promising to go back and buy it later. Intention doesn't matter because the reality is that you've stolen.

I fully appreciate the point you make, but if i like/play the game i'll buy it and if i don't like it i don't play it as well. On an ethical level you are right because you are stealing by definition, but since the game isn't physical (when you download it) it doesn't hurt the retailers. Files you can delete, but i highly doubt the necklace would be returned to the shop.

In my opinion it's the peeps that download and never buy something that will be the downfall of PC gaming, if the future brings us the grim doomsday scenario currently thought out by some of the industries minds. Casual games like Pontifex (which i highly recommend) will still be made because they are cheap to produce.

edit: typo
MrMonroe 24th April 2008, 16:09 Quote
A n00b isn't always new to the game. If someone really is a new lvl 15 player in CoD4, I try to explain that they are killing their teammates with Martyrdom and would they please turn it off. If someone is a lvl 55 player and is popping smoke right in front of the team, I start getting angry. The point here is that there's a time and a place to call someone a n00b.

Other sports have plenty of trash talking, they just use different terminology. Obviously, only the better players and players who've been playing for a while are the ones who bear the brunt of it, just as it should be with games. The anonymity does tend to lead people to be total dicks to each other, though.
steveo_mcg 24th April 2008, 16:14 Quote
Wasn't a consensus reached on the forums a while back noob is derogatory while newb is term of relative affection.
CardJoe 24th April 2008, 16:30 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Jungle
I fully appreciate the point you make, but if i like/play the game i'll buy it and if i don't like it i don't play it as well. On an ethical level you are right because you are stealing by definition, but since the game isn't physical (when you download it) it doesn't hurt the retailers. Files you can delete, but i highly doubt the necklace would be returned to the shop.

In my opinion it's the peeps that download and never buy something that will be the downfall of PC gaming, if the future brings us the grim doomsday scenario currently thought out by some of the industries minds. Casual games like Pontifex (which i highly recommend) will still be made because they are cheap to produce.

edit: typo

No, it doesn't hurt the developers, it hurts the gamers. Developers see that their games are being pirated on PC and instead move to consoles for safety because, regardless of your motivation, all they see if you stealing. Which is also essentially all you are doing.
BigD79 24th April 2008, 17:01 Quote
i thought this was about how games could be better.

i was going to say boobs.

But spot on though Cliff.
Bauul 24th April 2008, 17:06 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD79
i thought this was about how games could be better.

i was going to say boobs.

But spot on though Cliff.

"Buy this game, free boob caress!"

That would stop piracy dead in its tracks!
DougEdey 24th April 2008, 17:09 Quote
A lot of the time Demos come out after the game is released. This seems useless to prevent piracy
Andune 24th April 2008, 17:13 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe

No, it doesn't hurt the developers, it hurts the gamers. Developers see that their games are being pirated on PC and instead move to consoles for safety because, regardless of your motivation, all they see if you stealing. Which is also essentially all you are doing.

Consoles doesn't mean safety, I don't know where they get that from.
I download games to try them before deciding if i should buy them (you always buy good games). I would gladly walk up to the makers of Portal (and other great games) and give them twice the amount i already paid just to let them know that i thought their game was pure awesomeness and that they should make more of it.
Of course there is also games that you see on the internet and think they look cool, download the demo and say "hey this was a bit short but still pretty good", "pirate" the game and after 20min you go "meh, this sucks" and then forget it. They see me stealing, I see myself avoiding a bad game so that I can spend my money on better ones.
Also, what about games like SSBB? Thanks to a little chip in my console I have been playing it since the beginning of February without paying.
Is this because the game is bad? No, its because the game isn't released here until the end of July!
FooSai 24th April 2008, 17:14 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo_mcg
Wasn't a consensus reached on the forums a while back noob is derogatory while newb is term of relative affection.

That has always been my understanding, newb/newbie refer to someone who is genuinely new to the game, but wants to get better. noob/n00b are used to slate someone, for doing stupid things, when they should know better.

Unfortunately though now that mmo gaming has reached the masses, etiquette has gone out the window. Most people just hurl "n00b" at anyone regardless of their abilities, so it has become derogatory and used to insult people. The problem is, as Cliff says in the article, to many people just want to insult people rather than giving them constructive criticism.
DougEdey 24th April 2008, 17:18 Quote
It's one hell of a lot *safer* on a console then a PC. You can lock games from consoles easily these days. They're a lot harder to chip and aren't as flexible as they used to be when chipped.
foolsama 24th April 2008, 17:27 Quote
on the topic of piracy - you forget, in your middle-aged, middle-class lifestyle that the first decade or so of your formative gaming years - YOU'RE BROKE. You pirate because you can't afford to buy all the games you want to play, and not everyone' s mommy is willing (or able) to shell out $60 a pop for a week or two of enjoyment. Hell, I'm on my own now, in a salaried position, and I *still* can't justify $60 on a game!

on the topic of mean-ness - obviously, you've never been a nerd in a public school Gym class. Thank your lucky stars.

n00b.
pendragon 24th April 2008, 17:41 Quote
I agree with the article. All good points. Anonimity certainly is a huge factor in people being obnoxious. Even on this forum, I find that automatically skip over posts by a few users that always come off as rude, abrasive and condecending. It's sad.
Firehed 24th April 2008, 19:02 Quote
I'll continue to insist that selling games for less will increase sales volume dramatically. I've got a friend developing a game for the iPhone that he intends to sell for $3, and Trism (google it, see youtube video) will be $5. Of course both have the advantage of being direct sales where they get 70% of the revenue by bypassing publishers and retail stores, but download-based distribution of big games is just as plausible these days thanks to services like Amazon's S3. For a game that weighs in at a full 5GB, distribution costs per copy are no more than $0.90 per copy which goes down with volume. Charge $20 for the game, knock off 5% at the upper end for CC processing (about a dollar) and the distro costs, and you're now at ~$18 in net profit, which I expect is much better than any publishing deal.
Kipman725 24th April 2008, 19:33 Quote
People asking for cracks on developer forums are the worst of all – report them, and tell them it's not acceptable.
I disagree if that crack is for CD copy prevention which is so annoying!

Also it depends on the game but in some its ok to rip into people for been a noob as one player easily has the power to ruin a game for everyone. I take NS for an example, a bad starting com wreaks a game even if they are well meaning. They need to learn fast and the only was is by harsh critisim otherwise they might step in that chair again.
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums