This Isn't About Monkey Island, Honest

Laitainion 7th March 2008, 11:13 Quote
I was a relatively late comer to the gaming scene, being in my mid-late teens before I really got into it (so less than 10 years ago at this point). So for me it would have to be Civilisation 2 or Age of Empires. The former because it got me completely hooked to turn based strategy/empire building games of that sort. I still games of that type to this day. AoE2 is slightly different, not only did it get me into RTS (which I play slightly less religiously) but more importantly is a game I still play today, unlike Civ2. Admittedly AoE2 is mostly at LANs where I play with friends.

It's a weird thought that 10 years on, more or less, and none of the RTS made since have really replaced it. There have been prettier games, games with better AI, more features but AoE2 sort of hits the sweet spot for me. There certain games in the C&C series, Supreme Commander or Dawn of War have all added their own take but for my money there is no RTS that is as good as AoE2.
TheCherub 7th March 2008, 11:35 Quote
My development as a gamer was somewhat stunted by the fact that whilst we had computers galore in our house, my Father insisted that they all ran Windows NT 4.0. That meant that whilst my friends were playing every game under the sun, I was afraid to spend my hard earned cash in case a game wouldn't run under the somewhat draconian operating system. However, there were three games that I did play that still stay with me, namely Hitman 2, Civ2 and Baldur's Gate.

All of those launched me well and truly into their respective genres. Both Civ2 and Baldur's Gate were fiercely addictive, and I have spent many, many hours playing both. Something that strikes me as novel is that in each of their respective genres, I have played numerous games in those genres since (Sequels and others), and with the exception of perhaps Oblivion, none of them have managed to get their game design quite as spot on as those two. The thing that sold me on them was coming to the end of a session and realising that it was 3-4am and I had been playing far longer than I ever intended.

With regards Hitman 2, it was again a matter of addiction, but it is the only time I have gone back and played through the same game over and over because there was so much material there, and so many different ways to achieve each mission.
vaderag 7th March 2008, 11:38 Quote
For me, there are a few games that have had an effect. My first proper gaming experience in my own house was probably Treasure Island Dizzy on the Amiga 500. I'd played games at friends, but this was the first one that really had a large impact. I even remember it being a social experience, chatting about it with friends at Cub Scouts and solving the puzzles together. Shortly after however, I was actually put off gaming for a while by Shadow of the Beast II - it scared me too much (i was young).
Then, when I got my PC, Commander Keen got me into a different type of game. And this then led on to Command and Conquer and endless hours on Theme Park and Sim City 2, both of which i played endlessly, with no end in sight. Finally, the other game that got me hooked on gaming was Quake. The endless mods that me and my friend downloaded on our enormously expensive Compuserve connections kept this one alive for ages.
I think many games have had an impact on my life, and i'm certain that many will in the years to come...
Jamie 7th March 2008, 11:38 Quote
The first games I remember playing are Treasure Island and Fire Ant on the Commodore 16+4.

Following that I played a lot of shareware games on my AMD 286. Dizzy, Duke Nuken, Commander Keen, Godz and Zool are a few that stick in my mind. Following that I spent a lot of time playing Monkey Island 1 and 2, Indiana Jones FoA. Wolfenstein 3D must have been the first FPS I played and I played that until I discovered Doom and then Quake. I'd say Quake was the game that pushed me over the edge from being a casual gamer into a hardcore gamer. I'd use my 14k modem to ring up my mate and play some 1v1 Quake running software mode because at that point I hadn't got around to getting a Voodoo.
Veles 7th March 2008, 11:39 Quote
I actually can't remember which game it was that really got me into gaming, I remember getting a C64 when I was very, very young, and I remember some of the games I played on there. I think the first game I played and thought, wow this is great I love it, was Treasure Island Dizzy. Back then though, I was pretty bad at everything so I had trouble figuring out what I actually had to do so I'd just run around the levels jumping about everywhere. I think what I liked about the game was the dizzy character, I thought he was awesome, and on treasure island dizzy he was dressed up as a pirate which is even more awesome. I tended to play Kwik Snaks more though because it was more arcadey and easier for me to understand, but I always loved the treasure island dizzy. New Zealand Story was one I also really enjoyed, and Bubble Bobble too, I loved that game.
Agent_M 7th March 2008, 11:55 Quote
i can always remember playing games to various degrees from when we got our amega and i played paperboy(i think that was on the amega, it could have been spectrum). i remember playing duck hunt and mario on the nes occasionally.

i think the first game that i had was lemmings on some apple computer we had when cd drives first came out, putting the cd in that little case that made it look like a floppy disk then putting that into the computer. i can also remember obsessively playing dungeon keeper 1 and 2 and also theme hospital. i think it was the humour in these games that really got me hooked, all the crazy illnesses in theme hospital were great.

due to the humour aspect all the lucas arts games were great to play though, unfortunately i suck horribly at the puzzles in them so i often had to use a guide for most of them. the first one i played was sam and max which ive played through multiple times now due to the crazy humour. we had to get an upgrade to the pc to run grim fandango, me being hopeless at it didnt help and i only completed it last year! after having it since release.
Gunsmith 7th March 2008, 11:57 Quote
my first ever game is one i remember fondly, it was Bomb Jack on the atari ST back when i was 7 iirc, its scary that i can remember it like it was only yesterday
Delphium 7th March 2008, 11:58 Quote
Nice read Joe! and sorry to hear of your loss.

Back in 1989 when I was just 6years of age, my father had kindly purchased me an Amstrad pc of my very own, for my birthday.
Upon this machine came bundled with a few classic well known games, such as space invaders, asteroids and lemmings however the game that got me spending many engrossed hours on that machine was Sim City, it was this game that got me hooked in front of the screen for hours, eventually leading to me ranting to a friend or 2 back at school whom had also got suckered into this game, and where playing it along the same timelines, we would discuss our epic failures of trying to get a city to actually build, and what was working for 1 friend and not for another, till we eventually got it sussed, well I say sussed, but by that I mean actually getting more than half a dozen buildings popping up. One could say I had somewhat a very keen addiction to this game, still making time to this day to play the honourable and what I feel was the best in the Sim series, Sim City 2000.

As time passed by and fresh hardware was bought in to replace my aging machine, I got introduced to many other games by my friends, such as Wolf 3D , commander keen, jazz jack rabbit and then eventually Doom when one evening my friend invited me to his fathers office where we had a multiplayer session. This multiplayer session really wowed me and opened my eyes to multiplayer gaming, and how I felt it bought a whole new level to gaming.

With multiplayer games now set in my then tunnel vision sights, there where a handful of games that got me well and truly hooked to gaming, the games in question? War Craft and C&C got me hooked into the RTS genre, and still to this day I am an avid fan of this gaming genre!

These days I tend to enjoy many of the game genres out, however it is the RTS and FPS genres that I am most fixated on.
I could rant on for hours about the many games and experiences from the years, however to draw this to a close, it was...
Sim City, War Craft and C&C that the beginning of my gaming addiction lies.

Ahhh reminiscing, im off to go rant and reminisce with my gaming work buddies, and find out what got them fixated. :D
Jordan Wise 7th March 2008, 12:03 Quote
Great article! For me, that game is without a doubt, the unrivaled, the flawless, the reason why i am going to university to study computer science: games and virtual environments- Final Fantasy 7. The first game i played on the playstation. It was just so cinematic, so involving, the story and the music in terms of quality were just way ahead of their time, i don't think any game yet has come close to surpassing it. The materia system was fantastic- the range of weapons and armour, items and sidequests allowed you to pour some serious hours into it.
There are certain books and films that i find i must come back and read/watch about once a year such as Lord of the RIngs, His Dark Materials and Citizen Kane, which are the height of their respective formats of art, and I rate FF7 among them
Sandwich 7th March 2008, 12:05 Quote
MS-DOS gamer right here. Even though i had an NES (duck hunt and punch out!), I never really got into things until wolfenstein, Lord of the Rings RPG and Where in the World is Carmen San Diego. I also played Oregon Trail frequently.
Nature 7th March 2008, 12:06 Quote
Hardcore and gaming do not belong together in a sentence to me. I'm a baller, MMA freak, and vegan. I love sports and entertainment right now I'm at a net bar for about the 238472384th consecutive day in this country and it's STILL CS 1.6 everday!!!@!@!!!!!!

I PWN so nasty I get banned from servers... Just like back home.. No admins like being knifed :D

I have to wait for games like Battlefield 2, quake4, and GTA:SA to make it over here (illigally of course, no CDS!) and I can't ever play them online or with a system above a semperon and 7300gt or if I'm lucky and in a ritzy net bar a DAZZLING athlon 3800x2 with an 8500gt!!!

Here is what makes me "hardcore", as a non smoker I sit in a smoke filled cafe with people spitting on the floor and looking at hentai whilst playing every single single player map in BF2 on the hardest settings dominating.. same for the rest of the games.

I want the Q6600 with an 8800gts and 8gb's of ram with a 1900x1200 display just like everyone else, but I'm a student and I take what I can get. I have entered every contest Bit-tech has ever offered since 2004 and I've gotten zilch. I am still waiting for some charity.

Joe- I love that you loved torment
will. 7th March 2008, 12:29 Quote
I always played games, but it was only when GTA 2 came out on PC that I realised I might have an addiction.
Cupboard 7th March 2008, 12:35 Quote
Before I got to secondary school the only game I had really played was Age of Empires (1,2 and all the expansions were given to me as a birthday present I think).

What really got me hooked was a combination of C&C Generals and CS1.5/6. Since them, the games that I have spent a long time playing are rather few in number. Oblivion, completed twice, and Diablo 2, completed twice on easy and loads of LAN play.

I never seem to have a good relationship with long, story based FPSs like Far Cry. That was fine until all the monkeys arrived but soon lost its attraction and i never completed it. The call of Duties (1,2 and 4) have all kept me interested enough to complete them but I have never really got into them as much as Oblivion/D2/the beginning of Far Cry. STALKER was reasonably good and I got a long way into it but lost my save game and didn't feel strongly enough about it to go through the many hours I had spent on it again.

By the sounds of things, I think I will enjoy Mass Effect when I get my hands on the PC version of it. I have started Crysis but that looks like it is about to go the same way as Far Cry so I won't last long on that.
Veles 7th March 2008, 12:44 Quote
I remember now, the one that really got me hooked well and truly. I always loved games before but this was the first game I managed to get obsessed about. Settlers II, most awesome game ever, it was before my family got a PC, but round the child minders I used to go round after school when I was in primary school and my mum was doing a longer shift at work, they had a PC that had Settlers II on it. I put the disk in randomly because I thought it looked interesting, had Roman soldiers and stuff on it, at first it took me a while to get used to the game (there was no manual and I was only round there twice a week for a couple of hours). At first I gave up quickly, but after a week or so of going backwards and forwards to the game I suddenly figured out how it all worked. After that point I was hooked. I loved the art and animation of the game, you had all the fat little men running about doing their tasks, it was also the first time I was introduced to economics and supply and demand, I found it fascinating and challenging.
cpemma 7th March 2008, 12:49 Quote
Spent many hours playing A-Train, Sim City and Civ2; the Civ forums (Apolyton and Civ Fanatics) were amongst the first I joined way back in early 2001. But fixed-price broadband stopped me playing the longer games, I could spend more time online for no PAYG cost. And the later Sim City and Civ versions were a big disappointment. :(
Krikkit 7th March 2008, 12:50 Quote
I had a couple of games in my history that properly cemented me as a gamer.

The first one I can remember was Prince of Persia - the first one, it seemed to special to put all that effort into getting your computer working, grab a joystick and start jumping about a magical temple. It was so far removed from anything I'd seen on PC before that I was obsessed.

Next up, a couple of years later was Road Rash on the Sega Game Gear. This was probably the game that turned me into a gear-head, with the concept of street-riding a monstrous motorbike, dipping your knees all the way down to the deck and generally beating the hell out of everyone else was brilliant. From then on if it had a petrol tank, I loved it.

Then finally, the one that really, totally affirmed me as a gamer was Ridge Racer on the PlayStation - I didn't have a great deal of money as a kid, so arcades were something very special indeed, and far removed from life, so the PSX was a chance to play something really immense. That magical combination of speed and ridiculous powerslides, accompanied by the challenge of mastering the tracks was all I needed.

One game that definately galvanised me to the PC was Half Life, I'd played lots of other PC games at my best mate's house (acrimonious' house, for those wondering) and had never fallen so heavily in love with a game as this, the intoxicating combination of brilliant action, clever enemies and a seriously cool storyline was what really inspired me.

In fact, I'd say that Half Life was the game that made me wanted to be a Theoretical Physicist. I'd always wanted to be a scientist, but Gordon's coolness was somehow cemented into my mind, and from then on, that was it. :)
sl1xx 7th March 2008, 12:50 Quote
This is easy for me i remember like it was yesterday,c&c red alert 2 and starcraft ..i was running on a 800mhz celeron Packard bell pc ! from that i wanted a faster pc so the games would load quicker on multi (mine was always last 2 load) and now im playing fps,rts and building computers.
Flibblebot 7th March 2008, 12:59 Quote
Well I started with a ZX81 & Spectrum, but never really got into gaming until we got a Commodore 64 and that just opened my eyes to the world of gaming.

The first game that got me really, really hooked had to have been Lucasarts' Zak McKraken & The Alien Mindbenders - it took me and my friends ages to solve, and we'd phone each other up when we'd solved one of the puzzles or had a thought about one of the puzzles. Also loved all the Infocom games, I used to have an original copy of HHGTTG, complete with little bag of fluff :)

I had an Amiga 500, but since I was at university at the time, it didn't really get used for gaming much. I do remember getting excited when a friend got a maths co-processor & hard drive for his Amiga. That was proper computing right there! About the only Amiga games I really remember were the originals (Marble Madness et al) and more Infocom games, especially Zork Zero. I remember being blown away by the graphics.

I got into PC gaming while doing my Masters in about 92-93. More adventure games (particularly LucasArts' games), but also strategy games (like Syndicate, from Bullfrog) and the X-Wing games.

This thread really just confirms how old I am, how long I've been playing games (blimey! over 25 years!), but most of all it confirms that I still love playing games. Hell, I wouldn't review them if I didn't enjoy it (and at least I help fill up bit-tech's Sunday morning publishing slot :p)
JonDixon 7th March 2008, 13:17 Quote
The game that hooked me...

Felix In The Factory on the Acorn Electron.

Twenty odd years laters I've got a wife and kids and 70% of the time lead a normal(ish) life until I can escape and play games.
kenco_uk 7th March 2008, 13:26 Quote
Funny you say that about being aloft in a hot air balloon - I'm due to go up in a couple of weeks. I've also been in a boat off the coast of Oman and watched a school of Dolphins jump out of the water. Not sharks, granted, and no limbs to declare at Heathrow but 7/10 for effort at least?

The first game I remember getting hooked on was Atlantis. I can't remember a great deal about it, tbh. It was back in 1983 (I'd be about 9) and a good friend of my Dad's brought round a Speccy and an Atari VCS. After playing a game on the Speccy (an overhead car game involving either racing or checkpoints) and then playing a bit on the Atari, I had the very lucky choice of borrowing one for a week. I plumped for the Atari and played through a handful of games. The one cartridge that got plugged in the most was Atlantis. I played it so much, one of the four leaf springs on one joystick broke and then two on the other joystick gave way to my addiction.

From then on, it's been peaks and troughs. Beach Buggy, as a 3-screen arcade machine was awesome and Space Harrier could never be the same at home without sitting in a hydraulic-powered cockpit that moved as you moved. The graphics on the Return of The Jedi arcade machine were pretty awesome for the time, too. Gravitating from a C64 to an Amiga 500 was an awesome upgrade. Stangely, there was something about the smell of a new A500 that stuck in my mind. I was devastated when, after a house move, my A500's floppy drive shrivelled up and died. Thankfully, it wasn't long before it was back up and running.

On the C64, I'd have to say it was a group of games by a developer/publisher that kept me coming back, as not only were the graphics and music pretty awesome for the era, the gameplay was damn good, too. Armalyte and Hawkeye by Thalamus were amazing. I actually sat and completed Armalyte, thinking there was a chance of a golden code at the completion of the game. After ringing Thalamus up (!) they explained it was the actual cassette that was golden, but thanked me for playing the game right through and sent me some rather cool promotional posters. That was pretty awesome for a 12 year old. I can't remember completing any other games on the 64 - I just revelled in playing all sorts of different worlds - Last Ninja, Thing on a Spring, Wizball, Hypersports, Beach Head, Leaderboard Golf.. etc. I had something approaching 200 tapes I think. Just remembered, Spindizzy was a game that had me playing for hours, until I'd keep falling off a particularly hard bit.

The Amiga 500 with it's Psygnosis games showing its graphical prowess (SotB, Agony, Walker et al) and Sensible's SWOS and Cannon Fodder and Lemmings and SWIV and Test Drive and Stunt Car Racer and Lotus Challenge and possibly the best shooter in existence, Xenon 2 was awesome on a desk. One game seemed to be 'the one' though. Strangely, it didn't involve shooting anything or leading a squad or building stuff. It was Indianapolis 500 and it got very special when you added another 512K of ram. You then got replays in full 3d. Just playing the game was good enough, but I couldn't wait when, one Christmas, unknown to me (and I used to look, believe me) I received this magic upgrade I had been lusting after which changed my favourite game and made it even more enjoyable, it had to be plugged in immediately and obviously tested out to make sure it worked properly.

A year after the PS had been out and after seeing the frankly amazing Destruction Derby and Wipeout, I bought one. I played Destruction Derby and it's sequel to death. I remember having a hobby when I was young of drawing smashed up cars, with bits bent and wonky aerials. To me, DD was heaven served on a disc. DD2 took the formula and basically made it more exciting. FF7 was so different to anything before and it was sometimes a struggle to know what to do or even suss out what was going on. Strangely, it was the first game that made me shed a tear. The first GTA, although struggling on the PS and lacking the car alarms of it's PC counterpart, had me hooked for ages. It was hours after putting the disc in that I'd noticed it was well into the night.

Tomb Raider came along and offered massive 3d worlds that you could leap around, shoot dinosaurs and get squashed by boulders. When I was playing it at home, I had to switch it off after my sisters went to bed. I couldn't play it on my own..!

I started playing PC games fairly late compared to most, as I clung to my A1200 (with it's 68030 50Mhz CPU+FPU and 16MB ram) until 1998 when the 3.5" 1.6GB hdd I had shoehorned in there that took about a minute to boot into Workbench suddenly died. A mate sent a ripped copy of Half Life (which was minus the music) - tbh I didn't know anything about the game at the time. I certainly got a taste for it and after buying the game, it took up a lot of my spare time. The game just seemed to keep going on and lasted me a fair old couple of months or so. I never got that far in Opposing Forces though, there was one point where it got rather difficult so I quit.

Call of Duty was pretty amazing, but storming the battlements on the beach in COD2 has to be a defining moment in gaming. Of course, HL2 was amazing. Day of Defeat got me hooked on multiplayer online gaming - so much so, that I was on a few website leaderboards for a short time! The first online game I played was something I downloaded from Gameplay I think.. not called Wings but something similar.. anyway, you were strapped in a WW2 biplane and the aim was to shoot down other players in their biplanes. I was that excited to be playing 'real' people online, I was shaking.

Looking back on a mostly good gaming past, it's incredibly difficult to pick a game that is defining, a favourite - one that, given the chance you'd go back to play it and still derive much pleasure with it being your only sustenance for an afternoon.

I'd have to give the honours to something like Sim City, or Mega-lo-Mania. Something that is easy to pick up but will give you hours of enjoyment, offering a wide range of things to do and which isn't repetitive. In other words, another world you can live in while the real world tumbles on through space for an afternoon or so.
Blademrk 7th March 2008, 13:29 Quote
The game that got me was either Space Invaders or Tank Assault on this Acetronic consle that my dad had, I was around the age of 3 (I'll be 30 in a couple of months). Dad was a bit of a computer nut himself, he had a ZX80, ZX81, ZX Spectrum, BBC B (with the big old floppy disk drive) and the TI99/4A. Now this machine holds a special place in my memories as I first started programming on this machine i had a book which had code for all these wonderful simple little games (3D Tic Tac Toe). I didn't really understand what I was typing (for I was still very young at the time), but it's always been at the back of my mind.
Zurechial 7th March 2008, 13:30 Quote
Wolfenstein 3D (Shareware version) was probably the first game that really got me hooked on gaming in 1992, at the age of 4.

I can't say anything about Wolf3D that most gamers don't already know about it - Precursor to Doom, revolutionary rendering system, etc etc.
It just happens to be the first game that really grabbed me, rather than one that had any huge impact on my life beyond initially getting me into games.

The first game I ever actually played was "Gorilla.bas" (A QBasic example game) which my father taught me how to load up and play on our 286 when I was about 3 years old.
Eventually I got my hands on a bunch of the Apogee & ID releases of the early 90's and in that regard you could say that the guys at ID and Apogee played a big role in my formative years. :)
Wolf3D, Duke Nukem, Xargon, Commander Keen, BioMenace, Cosmo, Doom, Quak, etc..

After that, the list of my favourite games throughout the years reads like a contents page to my life, showing my changing tastes and expectations in gaming, which for years was the only hobby I spent any significant amount of time on.

I was obsessed with shooters for years, particularly with Quake 1 and later Unreal 1. Hearing the music from Unreal still sends shivers of nostalgia down my spine.
In 1998 I got Baldur's Gate for Christmas from my parents and it changed my gaming life, opening me up to the world of RPGs (which I only had a passing interest in previously).
Half-Life got me back into shooters again in between, while Starcraft, Total Annihilation and Red Alert got me into RTS games.

In 1999 I went on to experience some of the best games of my life, mostly expanding on my love of RPGs, including Planescape Torment, Final Fantasy VIII (which got me into the entire FF series) and Omikron : The Nomad Soul (an underrated, but strange, classic) while I also went back to play Fallout & Fallout 2.

The next game to have a significant influence on me was System Shock 2. Anyone familiar with my frequent rants about the state of gaming these days will have seen me reference the System Shock series as being an example of the pinnacle of gaming - SS2 had that much of an impact on me.
Followed by SS2 was Deus Ex, which blew my mind yet again, quickly adding itself to my list of gaming perfection (to later rant about, particularly when the disappointing sequel is mentioned).

Baldur's Gate 2 expanded on the excellence of BG1 for me and managed to improve in almost every way on the game that got me into RPGs, and for that reason is probably the game that I've spent the most hours of my life playing (alongside Fallout 2 and X3 Reunion).

I was never much of a console gamer, the GameBoy and PSX being my only non-PC gaming machines for years, while I only bought a PS2 a few months ago.
I 'dabbled' (read: obsessed over) Pokémon on the GB for a long time, and the PSX sated me with Metal Gear Solid and FF7/FF8, but I've always been a PC gamer at heart.

I'd find it difficult to pick a single game that I can say had the biggest impact on me, but Baldur's Gate, System Shock 2 and Wolfenstein 3D all played large roles in influencing my gaming tastes and even influencing who I am, given that gaming dominated my life for so long.
The best distinction for me of a classic game that had a large impact on me is the question of whether I could sit down and play the game again from start to finish right now.
I could for every one of the games I've mentioned here.

The general decline in gaming lately has been very disappointing to me, but I live in hope that there will be a return to glory days again, that we get intelligent, involving, deep PC-oriented classics on a par with System Shock 2 and Deus Ex to restore my faith in gaming as the most engaging artform of my life, rather than just a money-driven medium of which I'm a consumer.
zabe 7th March 2008, 13:37 Quote
Even though my first game was Pong, followed by the NES generation with all Mario Bros. titles in existence, that was only "killing time" for me. It wasn't until the PlayStation era that I got to enjoy gaming as such. My first game in 32bits was Crash Bandicoot 2, I'll never forget the sensation when I first played it. It was the plants. I started playing the game, and I was in the middle of this huge jungle, with trees, plants, flowers... it had "exotic" written all over it. Given that in my town (mediterranean, but not as full of vegetation) I could have never seen all that wildlife, I got hooked to the beautiful scenarios, the feeling of being in the jungle, the incredible sounds of air, animals, plants moving... It was truly like going to Australia or something. A few years later, this awe for the jungle became more refined in exploration, which helplessly made me drown in the depths of any Tomb Raider location (yes, even though the series sunk to the lowest levels of quality up until Legend). I just couldn't help the intrigue, the excitement of discovering places, wanting to see what was in each jungle/tomb/misterious place... To this day, even though i'm a linguist now, my writing extracts usually have to do with scenery and exploration, and I can't help but feel that being an explorer is my one frustrated passion... which exploration games always seem to satisfy, and I'm sure, that my being a linguist today is empowered by that same sense of intrigue, of wanting to explore, discover, analyze... only that, instead of doing it in exotic places, I do it in amazing texts. So yes, I guess I can say that gaming did change my life, gave me direction to my way of living.
skpstr 7th March 2008, 14:08 Quote
For me it was Missile Command on the Atari 2600. I would play that game for hours, I remember actually clocking the score back to zero once. :)
Whalemeister 7th March 2008, 14:21 Quote
Great article Joe! And what a way to start a lively discussion!

There were a few games that I remember from my days with the C64 that were very formative in developing my passion for games, Bubble Bobble, Bomb Jack, Commando and Gauntlet would be some of the most addictive and fondly remembered games from the C64.

Lemmings, Robocod and Speedball 2 would be my pick of the games from the Amiga 500 (or Atari 520st[fm]) days

The first games to get me started with PC gaming (which is currently my 'spiritual home') would have to be Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Syndicate and later Deus Ex and Max Payne