Gaming 24 - A Lovely Battlefield

Posted on 10th Apr 2011 at 10:21 by Podcast with 18 comments

Podcast
Battlefield 3, Portal 2, Alice: Madness Returns and Crysis 2 - those are the topics of conversation this week. We also discuss why StarCraft II is awful, and why Clive thinks Shogun 2 is 'lovely,' rather than 'awesome.'

This week sees bit-gamer regulars Joe, Clive and Paul joined by a fresh face too; our new intern David Hing was brave enough to both lend us his vocal cords and sit opposite Harry this week. That boy has guts!

Gaming 24 - A Lovely Battlefield
Want to win? Listen in!

As well as the usual rants and discussions, the podcast also features the regular competitions and reader mail slots. We've got a new prize up for grabs this week too - a Speedlink Strike FX Wireless Gamepad, kindly provided by Speedlink - so listen in for your chance to win.

As ever, the bit-tech hardware podcast features music by Brad Sucks, and was recorded on Shure microphones. You can download the podcast direct, listen in-browser or subscribe through iTunes using the links below. Also, be sure to let us know your thoughts about the discussion in the forums.

derpooch 10th April 2011, 12:10 Quote
Great, now I am obsessively playing QWOP :(
Ding 10th April 2011, 12:42 Quote
QWOP is probably the funniest thing I've seen for a long time. I seem to only be able to pitch over backwards, cracking my head and scoring -0.3 metres...
derpooch 10th April 2011, 12:48 Quote
I've encountered a few hurdles in my time, but this is ridiculous!
Achoo 10th April 2011, 15:17 Quote
I haven't even listened to this yet, but on reading what is discussed, I can't help but find you guys seem to have a unfounded disliking for SC2.
What's to dislike?
I guess I'll find that out on listening to the podcast, but just a note - Have you actually tried to play the game properly? Learn't the shortcuts, tried team play, tried your hardest to move up the divisions, watched the championships on GOMTV and learn't from the tactics of the pro's? All these things add up to make a modern competitive arena for a game.
Glix 10th April 2011, 15:48 Quote

LOL sooo bad, faceplanted the athlete a few times. -0.9 meters

Finally managed to get him to shuffle to 7.1 meters.
CardJoe 10th April 2011, 16:10 Quote
Originally Posted by Achoo
What's to dislike?

It's only me that dislikes Starcraft 2, mainly for the reasons summed up in the Starcraft 2 podcast. End of the day: it's just not my type of game and I don't think it's very well done.

More info: http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/podcasts/2010/08/06/gaming-15-the-starcraft-2-argument/
wuyanxu 10th April 2011, 17:09 Quote
speaking of being in the zone, im excellent with BFBC2 multiplayer :) Paul is pretty good at it also. what we'd love to see more of you guys on the CPC server.

i was promised BF3, and had to wait 38 minutes for a few minutes of BF3 singleplayer. :'(:'(
ALAKEFAK 10th April 2011, 17:29 Quote
oh guys DotA is a great game! became more popular than WC3 and had 2 non-official retail versions (ripoffs): League of Legends and Heroes of Newerth. HoN alone has a community of around 500k (considering facebook group and 40k constantly online players)
but like you said, it is pretentious.
[PUNK] crompers 10th April 2011, 18:42 Quote
yeah would be nice to see some staff on the server every now and then, come and get repair tooled like the rest of us ;)
EvilMerc 10th April 2011, 20:44 Quote
Shooting you would be our way of telling you we love you....sort of.... :D
tristanperry 10th April 2011, 21:04 Quote
A staff vs 'us normal beings' showdown would be pretty cool ;)
billysielu 10th April 2011, 21:53 Quote
red ring issues? LOL
Podge4 11th April 2011, 03:18 Quote
Glad to hear my question being used. Plus it gives me a reason to comment on this article. lol
Parge 11th April 2011, 10:15 Quote
Yep, pop on sometime guys! We're a very friendly bunch!
Material 11th April 2011, 11:31 Quote
I'm on from time to time. I took a two month hiatus while i got addicted to Civ V but i'm over that now....
SMIFFYDUDE 11th April 2011, 19:21 Quote
18.7m GIRP
12.8m QWOP

I'm shattered now.
knuck 11th April 2011, 19:23 Quote
why is qwop back ? Isn't this thing from like... 6 years ago?

Elite Dangerous Review