bit-tech.net

Gaming 7 - Modern Warfare 2 and getting into the industry

Posted on 18th Nov 2009 at 11:05 by Podcast with 14 comments

Podcast
Better late than never they say, but clearly 'they' have never worked in publishing... Anyway, apologies for not getting this up earlier - some naughty podcasters and heavy deadline schedules have delayed us. Still, it's worth the wait as Harry, Joe, Rich and Clive talk about that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 review.

OMG, no dedi servers! Right, once that's out of the way, Joe and Harry discuss just why they spent the best part of last week playing MW2, the depths to which they stooped to secure a PC copy to review and their frustrations with IWNet. They also talk about how much fun the game is and why it really did deserve a 9/10 score.

We also find time to talk about how to get into the games industry - the secret is to try. Do some cool mods and send it to games developers to see what they think, express an interest in doing it as a full-time job, apply for job openings, just do anything to get yourself in! Joe has spoken to a couple of gaming luminaries, and that's pretty much the advice.

Our thanks go to Shure for the microphones, and to Brad Sucks and Harry) for the music. See below to see how to catch the pod, and please let us know what you think in the comments thread below. Just don't turn this into a MW2 flame thread please!

14 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
Jaffo 18th November 2009, 13:57 Quote
Excellent podcast, especially the MW2 discussion
Sifter3000 18th November 2009, 14:46 Quote
And Harry's singing...
Baz 18th November 2009, 15:35 Quote
I was singing? I should listen to this thing more often to make sure what get's put in. My reputation could be at stake!
Jamie 18th November 2009, 16:31 Quote
There are a few points in the IWNet discussion that I disagree with or would like to comment on.

You said you didn't know what IWNet was going to be like yet I expect anyone who has played COD4 on xbox or playstation would have known what to expect. I've not used it on PC but I expect it is exactly the same as what you get on the consoles.

There is also a bit of discussion about why they have dropped the PC server stuff that we had in COD4. In essence I think the you missed the point that as a company they decided to save money and development time by reusing console code on the PC, rather than spending time re-implementing the dedicated server and browser code from COD4. Why would they want to spend time and money doing that for a platform that is much smaller and rife with piracy.

Joe mentioned that they had lost their stats on which maps people most liked. I disagree. If anything they have more stats now, with a centralised lobby system they will still be able to see what maps people are skipping and which maps have the highest dropout rate etc. Just because you can't select a map doesn't mean they can't see which are popular.
Sifter3000 18th November 2009, 16:41 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie
Joe mentioned that they had lost their stats on which maps people most liked. I disagree. If anything they have more stats now, with a centralised lobby system they will still be able to see what maps people are skipping and which maps have the highest dropout rate etc. Just because you can't select a map doesn't mean they can't see which are popular.

Yes, I think you're right - I thought it was strange when they said that. If IW runs IWNet, it's going to get access to an absolute ton of stats.

Of course, the panel were right when they hinted that using IWNet makes it easier to monetise online COD play on the PC in the future - which is doubtless the way they want to go, given how many people pirate the actual game itself.
Hugo 18th November 2009, 16:48 Quote
Harry - you are exactly right about the airport level, it is by far the best.

Jamie, Alex - you're assuming that IWNet's listen servers are given/collect data about matches. It would be bizarre in the extreme if they didn't, true, but it's possible they are only used for 'handshaking,' so to speak.

Also, the code for dedicated servers is there, as proved by hackers reimplementing it. It just makes the omission even more galling. But, MW2 is still brilliant fun so meh, if that's the compromise I have to make to get a PC version at all, it's actually okay by me.
Jamie 18th November 2009, 17:15 Quote
Forgive me if I am wrong but isn't Left 4 Dead similar in that you don't get a server browser and dedicated servers? Or was that only the early days?
Ph4ZeD 18th November 2009, 17:54 Quote
I think the podcast was a really good one. A really fair, balanced discussion on MW2 (I ended up buying it myself) on the upsides and downsides of the game.

I think the summary about MW2 is Activision is pushing PC Gamers in a direction that we don't want.
Geoff x 18th November 2009, 18:16 Quote
Why is there twelve minutes of silence at the end?
Sifter3000 18th November 2009, 19:22 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff x
Why is there twelve minutes of silence at the end?

If you play it backwards you can hear satanic messages.

Either that or.... er....
fargo 18th November 2009, 19:58 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie
There are a few points in the IWNet discussion that I disagree with or would like to comment on.

You said you didn't know what IWNet was going to be like yet I expect anyone who has played COD4 on xbox or playstation would have known what to expect. I've not used it on PC but I expect it is exactly the same as what you get on the consoles.

There is also a bit of discussion about why they have dropped the PC server stuff that we had in COD4. In essence I think the you missed the point that as a company they decided to save money and development time by reusing console code on the PC, rather than spending time re-implementing the dedicated server and browser code from COD4. Why would they want to spend time and money doing that for a platform that is much smaller and rife with piracy.

Joe mentioned that they had lost their stats on which maps people most liked. I disagree. If anything they have more stats now, with a centralised lobby system they will still be able to see what maps people are skipping and which maps have the highest dropout rate etc. Just because you can't select a map doesn't mean they can't see which are popular.

thats nice you can't select a map but you can see which are popular, just
what good does that do you. also the way they set up mp will not stop
piriating on the pc or console its just a feeble excuse like balance lol console players have taken cheap shots at the pc gamers but when they
start to put the screws to console gamers well see who yells the loudest lol
1ad7 19th November 2009, 06:39 Quote
Console piracy is huge as well, each pirated copy does not equal a lost sale, we need to stop letting them get away with the same excuse the record executives use.
Psy-UK 19th November 2009, 14:50 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie
In essence I think the you missed the point that as a company they decided to save money and development time by reusing console code on the PC, rather than spending time re-implementing the dedicated server and browser code from COD4.

That would make sense but it has already been proven by hackers that the support for dedicated servers is there and left over from CoD4. It wouldn't cost them a lot of time to get it working officially.
l3v1ck 24th November 2009, 21:28 Quote
Not iTunes friendly then.
You forgot to bleep out the "f**king hell" when some one farted.
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums