bit-tech.net

Oh Yeah...

Posted on 25th Mar 2011 at 17:28 by Paul Goodhead with 122 comments

Oh Yeah...

...this launched today.


Discuss.

122 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
PabloFunky 25th March 2011, 18:38 Quote
Someone told me it doesent even have a usb port, and we both laughed, thats all i know about it so far though.
Flanananagan 25th March 2011, 18:38 Quote
A stupidly expensive equivalent to the bathroom newspaper, except you can't wipe your arse with it.
Shark00n 25th March 2011, 18:38 Quote
I'm seriously thinking about getting one... I only need a 16GB 3G model, so it's cheaper than the Android alternatives and works just fine. I've been trying the first version for a week now and I'm satisfied with it.
Fordy 25th March 2011, 18:44 Quote
If they'd upped the screen resolution I'd be seriously thinking of buying one.

They didn't; so I'm not.
Deders 25th March 2011, 18:46 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanananagan
A stupidly expensive equivalent to the bathroom newspaper, except you can't wipe your arse with it.

I'm sure you could find a way if you really persevered, maybe there's an app for that?
Jamie 25th March 2011, 18:48 Quote
No
Sifter3000 25th March 2011, 18:49 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie
No

U R Wrong.
play_boy_2000 25th March 2011, 18:54 Quote
This is next on my list of things to care about, right behind the starving childern in africa (which is around 2874907654th on my list)
flibblesan 25th March 2011, 19:02 Quote
I laughed when I was in the Birmingham Bullring today when I saw the massive queue of saddos waiting to give Steve £500 or so english pounds. And this was only half 11 in the morning with the launch not until 5pm. I resisted the urge to knock some sense into them, specially since a huge majority of them were sat in line with iPad 1s!
S1W1 25th March 2011, 19:05 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by play_boy_2000
This is next on my list of things to care about, right behind the starving childern in africa (which is around 2874907654th on my list)
The iPad is a waste of money but even so... that's just not nice lol
Deders 25th March 2011, 19:08 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by flibblesan
specially since a huge majority of them were sat in line with iPad 1s!

Aww bless
r3loaded 25th March 2011, 19:14 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deders
Aww bless
They're just God's "special people". Don't be too harsh on them. :)
Stewb 25th March 2011, 19:48 Quote
It did? Oh, ok.

Proceeds to get on with his life.
carpetmonster 25th March 2011, 19:54 Quote
Although this is about ipad 1 (see what I did there, didn't grant thos capitalist scum any of my capitalisation skills for the P), it might entertain those who like to get angry about Apple stuff.

http://thethingis.co.uk/2010/04/08/apple-ipad-sucks/

I can understand the sentiment in that piece, particularly about home taping and stuff, I think a lot if it is true. You can usually tell how true criticism of Apple kit is, but how angry the sheep get.

Getting rid of my iphone, was truly liberating, no seriously. Went 'back' to Android. To be fair, every Android device I have used (including the fastest units with custom roms) has been a steaming pile of ****, and IOS is reasonably good, but more restrictive than anything else I can think of in technology history.
ac4155 25th March 2011, 20:01 Quote
Well I went and got mine today.
phuzz 25th March 2011, 20:30 Quote
meh
if I can't mod it, then it's not that interesting to me.
Bought a netbook a few years ago, before I'd turned it on once I had it apart and was installing more RAM, and a new OS by that afternoon. Got a new android phone a few weeks back and had a custom ROM on it within a day. Both times I enjoyed myself.
If I can't tinker with it then I don't want it, where's the fun in something that works right out of the box? ;)
rollo 25th March 2011, 20:59 Quote
was about 1000 people queuing for it in metro centre today

to say the least its selling and selling well
eddtox 25th March 2011, 20:59 Quote
I'm typing on one right now - and enjoying it. I'm definitely glad I didn't get the first one.
Bauul 25th March 2011, 21:02 Quote
I'm quite happy about this, but only because it might drive the second hand cost of the iPad 1 down. For less than £100 it's almost worth getting.

As the for iPad 2: meh. Silly little product.
StoneyMahoney 25th March 2011, 21:03 Quote
Woohoo! Yes! About frickin' time! I can't believe it, it's soooo good...

...huh? iPad? I was talking about my pizza.
soviet_ 25th March 2011, 21:03 Quote
Never heard of it

Sent from my iPad 2
Xir 25th March 2011, 21:04 Quote
I hear it still doesn't come with a USB port, but it's no problem, I'm sure it has an SD-card reader.
.
..
...
*snicker*:D
Xir 25th March 2011, 21:06 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauul
...might drive the second hand cost of the iPad 1 down. For less than £100 it's almost worth getting.
+1
then again, the ipod aren't coming down :D
PingCrosby 25th March 2011, 21:14 Quote
This isn't the only thing that got launched today,earlier I launched my mountain bike off a 50ft ridge and came away with only a sprained eyelash which I had bandaged at the local A&E.
leveller 25th March 2011, 21:18 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddtox
I'm typing on one right now - and enjoying it. I'm definitely glad I didn't get the first one.

Have you tried hooking it up to your TV yet? I hear Real Racing 2 is going to support 1080P and think it'll be interesting to see that in action.

Think we're getting our new one start of next week ... ;)
Eiffie 25th March 2011, 22:06 Quote
I would so love to take a sledgehammer to one of these things. *smash* *smash*
Deders 25th March 2011, 22:11 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eiffie
I would so love to take a sledgehammer to one of these things. *smash* *smash*

Check out 'will it blend'
mjm25 25th March 2011, 22:13 Quote
Surely the only question that needs answering about it is:

WILL IT BLEND?
(And maybe: Can it run Crysis?)

Edit: Damn you Deders!!!!
tripwired 25th March 2011, 22:30 Quote
...well, whilst I think it's a great gadget, I don't think I'll be getting one. I have an iPhone 3GS and I can't realistically imagine when I'd ever use the iPad after the initial novelty value had worn off.

For proper gaming I use my PC. For gaming on the train or tube I've got my iPhone. For casual and portable computing, internet browsing, email, YouTube etc, I've got an old but functional laptop.

I guess I'm one of those that just doesn't 'get' tablet computers!
Deders 25th March 2011, 22:55 Quote
Me neither, could never work out where the second graphics card was supposed to go :|
eddtox 25th March 2011, 23:06 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by leveller
Have you tried hooking it up to your TV yet? I hear Real Racing 2 is going to support 1080P and think it'll be interesting to see that in action.

Think we're getting our new one start of next week ... ;)

Nah, I didn't get the hdmi kit. I figured there was no point since our computer is in the living room and connected to the tv and I'm going to spend a fortune on accessories for it anyway ( I want to get the zaggmate keyboard case).

I must say I'm loving it so far, though.
MSHunter 25th March 2011, 23:15 Quote
I LOLed so hard to day when I passed by the launch in Belfast today and they started the countdown 1:43 late. I guess the Apple time server does not use the atomic clock signal as my watch does......

It does not put apple in the best light when their stores can not buy a 12 pound radio controlled alarm clock so that their launch happens on time.

I think that is the least they could do for the poor guys that actually wait 12 hours to hand over half a grand for a tablet without USB or 4G.
poollard 26th March 2011, 00:15 Quote
I can do everything this can on my phone which I'm typing on now :P
dancingbear84 26th March 2011, 00:40 Quote
I don't get the point in an apple pad (I is a capital letter used when referring to myself, not a trademark to bung in front of random words, pad, pod, phone, mac, touch etc) or any tablet TBH I love my android phone, I have a lappy for when I'm out and about, and I have a desktop for gaming plus the consoles. What would a tablet be used for.
We had a guy come into work today asking about them, we did come up with some possible uses for a tablet in a manufacturing environment, but when I am sat in front of the Tellybox what's the point.
The Mrs keeps going on about a tablet, but when I ask her why the best I ever get is "I don't know they just look good" When I probe her (chuckle in Beavis and Butthead style) she gives up on the idea of a tablet.

Anyway the launch you are all on about is the Nintendo 3DS right?????? Right?!
wuyanxu 26th March 2011, 00:47 Quote
to whoever have bought it: (if any)

JAILBREAK IT!
Canon 26th March 2011, 00:57 Quote
I came across a massive line outside the apple store today, I have never seen a more pathetic sight in my life, I felt I should take a mugshot of each of them, and forever avoid them, for they know nothing. Sheep, that is all.

@ MSHunter, if that was the line in Victoria Square, it was still nearly 100 strong at 7pm
bpdlr 26th March 2011, 01:06 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by play_boy_2000
This is next on my list of things to care about, right behind the starving childern in africa (which is around 2874907654th on my list)

This. QFT
Pieface 26th March 2011, 01:11 Quote
I do laugh at people in this thread, who are showing self-elitism, over people they believe are being elitist. It's pot calling Kettle Black.

Because people were queueing for an iPad they are pathetic human beings, yet I bet if it was another product you wouldn't give a crap.
dr-strangelove 26th March 2011, 01:19 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanananagan
A stupidly expensive equivalent to the bathroom newspaper, except you can't wipe your arse with it.

I beg to differ...
Canon 26th March 2011, 01:29 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieface
I do laugh at people in this thread, who are showing self-elitism, over people they believe are being elitist. It's pot calling Kettle Black.

Because people were queueing for an iPad they are pathetic human beings, yet I bet if it was another product you wouldn't give a crap.

If I saw hundreds of people lining up for a new flavour of ice cream I wouldn't stop at calling them pathetic, I would write a letter of warning to the PM & Deputy PM.
mars-bar-man 26th March 2011, 02:59 Quote
I was in Kingston today trying to get an iPod, hmmm saw the queues for the iPad 2, was just crazy. People were queuing since 2pm....
stonedsurd 26th March 2011, 06:46 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canon
If I saw hundreds of people lining up for a new flavour of ice cream I wouldn't stop at calling them pathetic, I would write a letter of warning to the PM & Deputy PM.

Come to where I live. There's a an ice cream place called 'Diddy Reise' and there's ALWAYS a queue that's 25-50 people long. Probably goes up to a hundred on some days.
Wicked_Sludge 26th March 2011, 07:11 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieface
Because people were queueing for an iPad they are pathetic human beings, yet I bet if it was another product you wouldn't give a crap.

i disagree.

i think people who squander away precious minutes of existence standing in line for just about anything are foolish.

nothing is worth not waiting a week for the hype to die down and getting it without standing, limp-jawed, arranged like cattle headed for the meat grinder.

my personal disdain for most apple products comes from the fact that there are nearly identical products to everything apple makes available at half the cost with thrice the functionality (ie: non-proprietary EVERYTHING).
Jehla 26th March 2011, 09:13 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canon
If I saw hundreds of people lining up for a new flavour of ice cream I wouldn't stop at calling them pathetic, I would write a letter of warning to the PM & Deputy PM.


A word of warning. Avoid theme parks, you may just keel over from all the "pathetic" people queuing up for a ride that will only last a couple of minutes.

In regards to queuing for an idevice though, it's often not as bad an idea as you think. Since you get an initial stock and then drips all over the place.
For the iPhone I had the option of queuing up for a couple of hours and buying one before heading off to work, or I could have spent the next few weeks going round the shops on the off chance that they would have stock.

I don't quite understand a lot of the iPad hate here either. I got one after my net book died, and I'm finding it far better thanks to The battery life, form factor and always on.
Azh_fx 26th March 2011, 09:31 Quote
a friend at work said he is considering this over the ipad 1 / 2

http://www.tjhughes.co.uk/pws/ProductDetails.ice?ProductID=5603&redirect=true

...I laughed most of the day
DriftCarl 26th March 2011, 10:16 Quote
ZZZzzzZZzZZZZZZZZzzzzzzZZzzzzZzzzZZZ

I wish they made a new tax on ipads in the budget.
With all these rich people with nothing else to spent their money on besides apple products, we could reform the NHS easily with the income from the iTAX
Cei 26th March 2011, 11:03 Quote
Wow, Bit Tech has started trolling now?

Disgraceful. You call yourselves a tech site? This is just childish.
leveller 26th March 2011, 12:35 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cei
Wow, Bit Tech has started trolling now?

Disgraceful. You call yourselves a tech site? This is just childish.

This reaction to anything Apple is not unique to here. If the guys took two minutes out from venting their Apple-angst and actually thought about what they were writing then they'd realise as pieface [corrected] says, they're being elitist, not the Apple consumers, unsurprisingly. Nor the 3DS consumers who happened to be doing exactly the same for their new gadget.

But then, the same style of backlash is vented on the 3DS threads and 3D TV threads, ATi, Nvidia, Intel, AMD, BMW, Conservatives, Labour, war mongers, pacifists ...

It's a football supporters mentality. "Must pick a team". In the meantime we're all getting on with life and enjoying new tech.
Guinevere 26th March 2011, 13:25 Quote
I don't know why there's so much hatred against those that want to buy a new gadget. Yeah Apple's gear isn't perfect and neither is Apple the company, but then name one that is!

I'm getting a 64GB model as soon as I can get my hands on one as I can put it to good use with my other gadgets and gear, but I'm certainly not going to queue for hours to get one.

It's only a gadget after all.

Edit: Well I've placed my order direct with Apple for mine.

Can't be done with the whole "No you're not allowed to pre-order it, or reserve it - we want queues god-damn-it! Bug mutha freaking queues for weeks upon weeks" approach to early retail.
Baz 26th March 2011, 15:21 Quote
I think it's unfair to say we're trolling the iPad 2. We've been pretty damn busy this week with the GTX 590 launch and re-running over 700 benchmarks for that. Apple never send us review samples, and the blog is pretty simple - Apple Ipad 2 launch; discuss.

You're putting words into our mouths when we haven't even spoken.

Speaking personally, I see the iPad as the ultimate luxury gadget, insofar as serves little "useful" purpose for a very high price. It's a gadget to have, an epitome of consumerism. You can do everything it does better, elsewhere. It just happens to bundle all those things up in a neat and undeniably sexy looking little package.

Because of this, it divides opinion very heavily. Some will see the benefits, and others won,t. Which is why we're discussing it. Or we were until the side picking got a bit too fervent. Let's just try to calm things down a bit eh?
glasgood 26th March 2011, 15:28 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere
I don't know why there's so much hatred against those that want to buy a new gadget.

Loss of freedom!

Yes it looks very good and is innovative, but handing Apple lots cash for their severely restricted IPAD does not make sense. When I say LIMITED, you are limited by what Apple approves on the App store for that device. Limited by the fixed amount of storage on the device. LIMITED to backing up data with ITUNES. Of course you can jailbreak the device, but why should you have to, vote with your wallet... until it has USB, SD card slot and Apple review their totalitarian stance with regards to iOS and the App store. Effectively buying into this device is paying for the loss of freedom, only we should choose how it is used and what is installed and what changes we want made NOT APPLE.
GavX 26th March 2011, 15:39 Quote
I heard word that there were queues in Livingston PC World for this from about 1pm onwards yesterday, didn't even get released til 5 as far as I know, some people need a life... I personally was far more excited by GTX 590 and Crysis 2.. (which turns out to be a bit boring so far imho)
edzieba 26th March 2011, 16:09 Quote
Still 1024x768, still no sale. EGA is 20-odd years old already! The current influx of Tegra-2 Andriod tablets are mostly 1280x768 at least, but I'd still prefer higher for vaguely legible graphs and charts without having to zoom & pan all the time.
Ergath 26th March 2011, 16:26 Quote
If it was less than £200 and ran Android I might be interested. On behalf of my technophobe mother-in-law.
Lance 26th March 2011, 18:07 Quote
The amazing thing about all this is that the power of the Apple marketing is that everyone here knows about what these are, and already has a strong opinion about what it is.

Love them or hate them they're one hell of a company.
adidan 26th March 2011, 18:56 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance
everyone here knows about what these are, and already has a strong opinion about what it is.
I don't, couldn't give a toss.

I'd happily have one if I was given one or won one but I wouldn't buy one.
IanW 26th March 2011, 19:11 Quote
meh.

The only Apple product I have is a 2nd-hand ipod classic so I can put my collection of Dr Who radio plays in my car (Vauxhall Insignia with satnav - audio system has USB port & speaks apple).
Snips 26th March 2011, 20:02 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanananagan
A stupidly expensive equivalent to the bathroom newspaper, except you can't wipe your arse with it.

Errrrr...do you wipe your arse with Newspaper?

Can people read the headlines when you bend over?
Guinevere 26th March 2011, 21:06 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cei
Wow, Bit Tech has started trolling now?

Disgraceful. You call yourselves a tech site? This is just childish.

Blah blah blah pot blah blah kettle blah blah black blah blah
eddtox 26th March 2011, 21:08 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by leveller
This reaction to anything Apple is not unique to here. If the guys took two minutes out from venting their Apple-angst and actually thought about what they were writing then they'd realise as pieface [corrected] says, they're being elitist, not the Apple consumers, unsurprisingly. Nor the 3DS consumers who happened to be doing exactly the same for their new gadget.

But then, the same style of backlash is vented on the 3DS threads and 3D TV threads, ATi, Nvidia, Intel, AMD, BMW, Conservatives, Labour, war mongers, pacifists ...

It's a football supporters mentality. "Must pick a team". In the meantime we're all getting on with life and enjoying new tech.

'nuff said.
M7ck 26th March 2011, 23:26 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked_Sludge

my personal disdain for most apple products comes from the fact that there are nearly identical products to everything apple makes available at half the cost with thrice the functionality (ie: non-proprietary EVERYTHING).

I call BS.

Name one.
dancingbear84 26th March 2011, 23:30 Quote
Apple can market better than anyone our there. But the products leave a lot to be desired from a tech point. it is the truth. Spec = meh. Spiel = OMG sell my soul. Apple can market!
MSHunter 26th March 2011, 23:34 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieface
I do laugh at people in this thread, who are showing self-elitism, over people they believe are being elitist. It's pot calling Kettle Black.

Because people were queueing for an iPad they are pathetic human beings, yet I bet if it was another product you wouldn't give a crap.

I think I speak for most people here when I say: WTF??? Why queue for hardware I can get shipped to my door and the issue with Ipad is that its over expensive for what it is and is a very closed system, i.e. no USB and can only install apps that are allowed by Apple.
Pieface 26th March 2011, 23:46 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHunter
I think I speak for most people here when I say: WTF??? Why queue for hardware I can get shipped to my door and the issue with Ipad is that its over expensive for what it is and is a very closed system, i.e. no USB and can only install apps that are allowed by Apple.

Oh dear, not this again.

Firstly, people buy products how they want, who gives a care in the world what you think, apart from people like you.

Secondly, why is it over expensive? Tell me of a comparable product that is the same quality, or better (As most people in this thread like to point out, and not back up) for cheaper than the iPad.

Thirdly, people know what they want to buy, most people want an easy to use item such as an iPad, they won't add new things to it, or jiggle about with it. And I'm pretty sure most people who buy it know they are buying a product with Apple apps. And with around 65,000 apps, I bet there is an App out there for whatever that consumer wants.
Canon 26th March 2011, 23:51 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieface
Oh dear, not this again.

Firstly, people buy products how they want, who gives a care in the world what you think, apart from people like you.

Oh what the hell? This is a discussion on an article regarding the launch of a product, the purpose of the ability to discuss is to share your opinion on the launch, like it or lump it.
Pieface 26th March 2011, 23:55 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canon
Oh what the hell? This is a discussion on an article regarding the launch of a product, the purpose of the ability to discuss is to share your opinion on the launch, like it or lump it.

This is a discussion on the launch of the product, note product. Not how people choose how to BUY their product. You don't see in the 3DS thread, and other console/device threads people calling others saddo's because of how they buy it, such as online, or waiting in a queue.
Canon 26th March 2011, 23:58 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieface
This is a discussion on the launch of the product, note product. Not how people choose how to BUY their product. You don't see in the 3DS thread, and other console/device threads people calling others saddo's because of how they buy it, such as online, or waiting in a queue.

The purchasing of a product is as big as anything about it, otherwise how the **** would it be a product? It's going to be discussed, and people have different views on things, again, get used to it, it's not rocket science.
Pieface 27th March 2011, 00:02 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canon
The purchasing of a product is as big as anything about it, otherwise how the **** would it be a product? It's going to be discussed, and people have different views on things, again, get used to it, it's not rocket science.

Dear god, you're a bit special today Canon?

EVERY product gets released, EVERY product is launched. Suddenly when it's an Apple product involved their is a furor over people queueing? This is a discussion on the PRODUCT, not how people choose to buy it! But you won't listen I bet.
Canon 27th March 2011, 00:04 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieface
Dear god, you're a bit special today Canon?

EVERY product gets released, EVERY product is launched. Suddenly when it's an Apple product involved their is a furor over people queueing? This is a discussion on the PRODUCT, not how people choose to buy it! But you won't listen I bet.

So what are you trying to say, we shouldn't be allowed to discuss the purchasing of any product or just Apple products, hmm?

Oh and thanks for being offensive, that was really necessary. ;)
Pieface 27th March 2011, 00:07 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canon
So what are you trying to say, we shouldn't be allowed to discuss the purchasing of any product or just Apple products, hmm?

Oh and thanks for being offensive, that was really necessary. ;)

Yep, you're still not listening. There's a bit of a difference of whether you should buy it or not, and HOW you buy it.

If you're offended by it, then grow some thicker skin really. If you're getting upset over the internet, then hey, don't go on it.
Canon 27th March 2011, 00:11 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieface
Yep, you're still not listening. There's a bit of a difference of whether you should buy it or not, and HOW you buy it.

If you're offended by it, then grow some thicker skin really. If you're getting upset over the internet, then hey, don't go on it.

Stop being such a child, frankly, I've lost interest in whatever it is you're going on about. But really, if you don't like what people are discussing, use the report button instead of being rude and obnoxious.
Material 27th March 2011, 00:13 Quote
Alright chaps, calm down, it's only a commercial.
Madness_3d 27th March 2011, 00:13 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deders
Me neither, could never work out where the second graphics card was supposed to go :|

You know it has Dual GPU's right :P
Still not for me. Now a Sony Vaio X... THAT, is where it's at...
eddtox 27th March 2011, 00:25 Quote
I queued for 2 hours to get mine because they had a 2-4 weeks dispatch schedule online. By queuing I got the iPad at least 2 weeks earlier, which means I will get an extra 2 weeks' worth of use for my money, when I come to sell it in 11 months time to buy the new one.

If choosing to spend two hours queuing in order to get something that I want two weeks sooner makes me an idiot in your eyes, you quite obviously an even bigger idiot whose opinion isn't worth jack.
Stotherd-001 27th March 2011, 01:50 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddtox
I queued for 2 hours to get mine because they had a 2-4 weeks dispatch schedule online. By queuing I got the iPad at least 2 weeks earlier, which means I will get an extra 2 weeks' worth of use for my money, when I come to sell it in 11 months time to buy the new one.

If choosing to spend two hours queuing in order to get something that I want two weeks sooner makes me an idiot in your eyes, you quite obviously an even bigger idiot whose opinion isn't worth jack.


11 months? Current rumour mill has it that the next ones out in september. Therefore your 2 hours queuing prevented you from wasting about a 12th of the amount of time the iPad 2 is the pinnacle of Apples Tablet range. Or about a quarter it spends as the thinnest, lightest 10inch tablet on the market... next galaxy tabs take that crown in June, and its slower than tegra 2, which is what most android tabs use.

The iPad 2 is already behind, a waste of money and a pitiful (though stupidly successful, SHAME HUMANITY. SHAME.) attempt by Apple to wean more money out of their blind faithful. Should've waited till September when they might actually have a product they can attempt to describe as 'revolutionary'.
Aragon Speed 27th March 2011, 01:58 Quote
Canon 27th March 2011, 03:19 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stotherd-001
11 months? Current rumour mill has it that the next ones out in september. Therefore your 2 hours queuing prevented you from wasting about a 12th of the amount of time the iPad 2 is the pinnacle of Apples Tablet range. Or about a quarter it spends as the thinnest, lightest 10inch tablet on the market... next galaxy tabs take that crown in June, and its slower than tegra 2, which is what most android tabs use.

The iPad 2 is already behind, a waste of money and a pitiful (though stupidly successful, SHAME HUMANITY. SHAME.) attempt by Apple to wean more money out of their blind faithful. Should've waited till September when they might actually have a product they can attempt to describe as 'revolutionary'.

There's an equation in here somewhere. Time spent purchasing apple product + Money wasted + Time wasted using apple product = Sensitivity of apple user when any apple product is criticized.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragon Speed
Slightly OT and old now, but still funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks-N4rI_1RU&feature=player_detailpage

+rep :)
adidan 27th March 2011, 09:54 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieface
Because people were queueing for an iPad they are pathetic human beings, yet I bet if it was another product you wouldn't give a crap.
Nope, I think anybody queueing for any tech is generally a stupid arse but I'm quite happy for them to do it as I need them to beta test the stuff for me first. ;)
Stickeh 27th March 2011, 11:59 Quote
Company i work for sold a lot of these. A lot being all their stock. And within a few hours...
eddtox 27th March 2011, 12:08 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stotherd-001
11 months? Current rumour mill has it that the next ones out in september. Therefore your 2 hours queuing prevented you from wasting about a 12th of the amount of time the iPad 2 is the pinnacle of Apples Tablet range. Or about a quarter it spends as the thinnest, lightest 10inch tablet on the market... next galaxy tabs take that crown in June, and its slower than tegra 2, which is what most android tabs use.

The iPad 2 is already behind, a waste of money and a pitiful (though stupidly successful, SHAME HUMANITY. SHAME.) attempt by Apple to wean more money out of their blind faithful. Should've waited till September when they might actually have a product they can attempt to describe as 'revolutionary'.

Tegra 2 on android is slower in virtually every test I've been able to find. Every android tablet worth having is more expensive. Android is most certainly not ready to be handed to my 15 month old girl. If smartphones are anything to go by, android tablets will be playing catch-up for at least 3 years - both on price and on functionality. Samsung has already admitted they've screwed up - the 10.1" galaxy tab will be thicker, heavier, slower and more expensive.

Yes I could probably get an android tablet to do what I want it to, but why would I waste my time when it doesn't cost any less. The whole point of the iPad in my case was to make it easier for my partner and daughter to interact with technology. If my daughter gets a head start in using and understanding the trappings of the modern age the I will consider it an absolute bargain.
Cateye 27th March 2011, 16:18 Quote
Any place near SW16 4TG UK from where i can get ipad2 ...
kempez 27th March 2011, 18:10 Quote
The amount of blind hatred for Apple on these forums is amazing.

I would have thought people appreciate the industrial design and the sleek look? Nope.
The OS that revolutionised the smartphone sector (although now looking very slightly long in the teeth maybe)? Nope.
The device that made it's own market sector successful and made competitors rush to play catch up? Nope

The iPad isn't a perfect device, nor is it an essential device, but the competition hasn't yet launched anything that gets near it as a complete product in it's market niche. The fact that you could actually buy one day 1 is a bonus tbh, compared to many devices soft-launched nowadays.

eddtox is right, no Android device yet comes close. I am fully expecting one or more to be out in the summer, but am still sceptical as to whether they will create anything near to iPad (1/2). Honeycomb is buggy from all the reports I've seen, although it has some very exciting features and potential.

Apple are control freaks and yes they are more closed than Android. However, that enables them to deliver a superb user experience married to top quality hardware that is generally massively reliable, simple to use and sleek.

If you can't appreciate the worth of iOS and the Apple devices associated with it, you don't deserve to call yourself remotely interested in technology.

Android has bags of potential and the smartphone market is now fully showing that, but Google/manufacturers haven't caught Apple up on tablets....yet.

Come on guys, try to balance your ridiculously biased points of view with a modicum of evidence, intelligence, research, facts and a general interest in technology.

No Apple fanboy here, but love all types of technology and have been impressed with Apple over the last few years.
FelixTech 27th March 2011, 18:46 Quote
I don't think there's one 'correct' decision. It is a matter of how much freedom you are ready to give up for convenience. Apple are bad, but no worse than Amazon with the Kindle. If you listen to Richard Stallman over at the Free Software Foundation then we are all pretty bad for buying Windows when we could be more free and richer by using Linux.

Much like lotteries, from the perspective of the level-headed, value-seeking PC enthusiast the ipad isn't a good buy, but if you get a kick out of owning one then be my guest. When I see you I'll rotate it a few times, make an 'ooh' noise, and then get back to my equally extravagant robot.
Nexxo 27th March 2011, 18:50 Quote
Let's dispense with the Apple myths:

Apple users are elitist sheep.
No Apple user has ever proselytised about Apple to me. I have never read a thread in a forum eulogising Apple. But there appear to be plenty of people priding themselves on hating Apple because they think that makes them more tech-savvy, informed consumers. To wit, this thread.

It's all just marketing, man!
The people who argue this, of course, think nothing of spending +£300,-- on a marginally faster graphics card, because it can play Crysis, you know?

It's overpriced crap.
As opposed to, say, overheating X-Boxes, any Sony product, your GAP khaki's? Still, found a cheaper, better tablet yet?

Anything you can do on an iPad you can do better somewhere else.
But not easier. Kind of important for people who are not geeks.

People who queue for iPads are pathetic.
People who queue for soccer games and pay £300,-- for a season ticket only to kick each others' heads in on the pitch for supporting the opposing team are. Fanboys of any description are.

It's a closed garden and restricts freedom!
So is any game console --unless I've missed a trick and you can play Little Big Planet on an X-Box. And try hack the PS3 region restriction or make any modification and watch Sony get kittens. Nintendo does empathically not support homebrew. You cannot upgrade many Android phones because they are locked to their version of Android, or simply not compatible with the upgrade, and Google still has not released the source code for Honeycomb. Newsflash, consumer: they are all closed systems. Android app store is open, of course --including to malware. Again, some people don't want more choice, they want ease and security. Some like to drive stick, some like automatics.

Apple does not support Flash because it wants to restrict games distribution to the App store so it can profiteer.
Yeah, that's why there aren't any HTML5 game sites. Or free games in the App store. No, wait...

It kind of feels like arguing with creationists. Next someone will say that Apple users have no moral center. I'm sure that's next.
Lance 27th March 2011, 21:17 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxo
Let's dispense with the Apple myths:

Apple users are elitist sheep.
No Apple user has ever proselytised about Apple to me. I have never read a thread in a forum eulogising Apple. But there appear to be plenty of people priding themselves on hating Apple because they think that makes them more tech-savvy................................

..................................l center. I'm sure that's next.

+rep. Excelent points
Jhodas 27th March 2011, 22:09 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewb
It did? Oh, ok.

Proceeds to get on with his life.

QFT.
carpetmonster 27th March 2011, 22:27 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxo
Let's dispense with the Apple myths:

Apple users are elitist sheep.
No Apple user has ever proselytised about Apple to me. I have never read a thread in a forum eulogising Apple. But there appear to be plenty of people priding themselves on hating Apple because they think that makes them more tech-savvy, informed consumers. To wit, this thread.

I agree with the rest of your points but not this. This is just your experience. So what...? Well that wouldn't get you a slot on mythbusters. I have read hundreds of threads, eulogising Apple, in fact half the bandwidth of Ars Technica must be taken up with these every day.

There was a pack of loons on the PC Pro forum, one notably was called Marklar77, anyone who ever read one of this threads could dislike Apple on the strength of the complete bollocks he wrote. He was one of those people that couldn't believe that anyone could use a pc for more than 30 seconds without it crashing, because that is what Apple said.

Also some unfortunate individuals devote a whole Youtube channel to Eulogising Apple.

http://www.youtube.com/user/AppleSoldier
carpetmonster 27th March 2011, 22:37 Quote
Isn't queing a kind of UK tradition anyway, soup, ipads, train tickets etc
thehippoz 27th March 2011, 23:28 Quote
yeah I'm in that camp that believes apple users kinda are sheep.. not that they don't make good hardware, but for the money it's a pretty big rip off

no flash is a pretty bold step too considering all the flash apps that exist, I can see they want to limit the experience to make it seem the hardware is faster than it actually is- not really a bad thing marketing wise, but looking at it from a users standpoint lame

and your not any safer, if someone wants that information you have on your phone/netbook/tablet, they will get it.. considering the people who buy apple, it's easy as wipin ya hiney (stole that quote from ralph on survivor lol)

can't argue they've sold units though.. it's like console gaming.. we can bitch and moan, money talks.. the devs aren't out to please the minority
Nexxo 28th March 2011, 00:11 Quote
If Apple products are such a rip-off, how come nobody can make a cheaper tablet? :D

Meanwhile Android Froyo has huge problems with Flash and they still haven't worked out the kinks in Honeycomb. Seems to me there's no added value.
IT Troll 28th March 2011, 00:25 Quote
First of all, I am a die hard PC fan. I love building/overclocking/upgrading/tweaking my custom PC.

I had really high hopes for the Xoom, Samsung 10.1 and Honeycomb in general but every review I have read/watched has said that it just isn't ready. It is pretty damning when every review video I have watched features a force close on either the Marketplace or the browser. Also the videos cleary show intermittent lag and jitter on animation and scrolling.

Recently, through work, I spent a week with an an iPad 1 and the experience blew me away. It really is very slick and the hardware just oozes quality. And in the case of the iPad, I actually think the price is reasonable and has not been subjected to the "Apple Tax". The competition can't touch Apple at the minute in terms of both performance and price. I am sure Android's day will come but at the moment I'm afraid to say the iPad is where it is at.

The iPad is never going to replace the PC for serious work and serious gaming, but it certainly does have a place in our increasingly digital lives.

I hate Apple and their closed walled garden business model and as such vowed never to buy one of their products.

I am writing this comment on my new iPad 2...
theevilelephant 28th March 2011, 00:49 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxo

Apple users are elitist sheep.
No Apple user has ever proselytised about Apple to me. I have never read a thread in a forum eulogising Apple. But there appear to be plenty of people priding themselves on hating Apple because they think that makes them more tech-savvy, informed consumers. To wit, this thread.

I completely agree with all of your points, except this one which I only partially agree with. I agree that they aren't elitist sheep, but of the 5 people I know who have an iProduct 4 won't stop telling me to get one too and keep harping on about how their iWoopDeDoo excretes rainbows and boobs.

I know that not all Apple product owners are the same but it shows you how experiences can vary. I'm also not surprised about the anti-Apple sentiment shown in this thread, this is after all a tech forum and anything you can do on an ipad you can pretty much do on a laptop of equivalent price. Even if it is harder or more complicated we are techy geeky people, we enjoy complicated! (At least I do :D ) Anyway if I had the money I'd probably get an iPad to play with, mostly out of curiosity. Ahh, consumerism win.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxo
Meanwhile Android Froyo has huge problems with Flash...
Really? Never noticed any issues myself.
stonedsurd 28th March 2011, 00:55 Quote
I actually prefer Honeycomb to iOS for the iPad (and I own and use an iPad 1). It's just far more functional. At this stage in the game, iOS is slick, easy to use, very, very smooth (unlike Android which can't seem to kick the jitters) but it's a bit long in the tooth for what the hardware is capable of. Also, what is with the iPad's RAM always lagging behind the iPhone's?

The iPad 2 would kick ass with a gig of RAM but they had to leave it at 512MB for some reason. Just odd.

My dream combination - iPad 2 hardware package (specifically the SoC, battery, screen, milled aluminum case) + Honeycomb. If someone can hack Honeycomb to run on the iPad 2, it will be my next purchase.

Something that ticks me off about competing non-Apple tablets is the cheap construction. When you're paying ~$800 for a device, it had damn well better feel like an $800 device. The Xoom doesn't (comes close though) and the Galaxy is just rubbish. Gaping joints and creaky body.
Ciber 28th March 2011, 01:25 Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USiaeXzYkOE

LOL!

Not very strong is it?
VipersGratitude 28th March 2011, 01:46 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxo
If Apple products are such a rip-off, how come nobody can make a cheaper tablet? :D

Economies of scale and exclusive supply contracts.
Samsung, being one of the few companys large enough to stand toe-to-toe with apple around the negotiating table, are releasing the (higher spec) Galaxy Tab 10.1 at the same price as the iPad 2
:p
thehippoz 28th March 2011, 01:47 Quote
well the hardware is not bad at all.. played with an ipad and thought it was great in terms of what it could do.. that's one of it's selling points is the software is written to run well on the hardware

they even filter the apps that can be run in the store to keep that experience

let's say you write websites.. you write some flash over html5.. that work isn't even able to be seen because ipad users have no possible way to view it..

I know, people just want something that works, and could care less.. frustrating (for me at least) when there's a limit on something so widely used and no way to go around it.. asking for advanced options to let the user add flash would go a long way in swaying a purchase
SMIFFYDUDE 28th March 2011, 03:23 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehippoz
could care less..

It's couldn't care less.
e.g. I couldn't care less about about the Apple iPad
thehippoz 28th March 2011, 08:30 Quote
erp my bad! I blame it on the burlap sack I was sniffing all day today
leveller 28th March 2011, 10:12 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehippoz
I can see they want to limit the experience to make it seem the hardware is faster than it actually is- not really a bad thing marketing wise, but looking at it from a users standpoint lame

That didn't make any sense to me, can you elaborate?

Did you mean the closed nature of the Apple devices?
Did you mean the lack of flash?
Or did you mean these and/or something else?
yakyb 28th March 2011, 10:32 Quote
i like it and im one of the biggest apple haters you can find.

I think as a device it is useful, it works and gives excellent return on investment

(no longer do i have to sit and watch shite TV i can just play on hte ipad whilst my GF is
Snips 28th March 2011, 10:42 Quote
"Apple users have no moral center!"

Sorry Nexxo just kidding, I couldn't resist.

Back on topic. As you know from my previous posts I am no fan of Apple but I own and have owned Apple products.

I didn't own an Apple iPhone3 but do own an iPhone4. Just a quick question, is the iPad2 to the iPad1 a similar upgrade? If you own an iPad1 as I do, is the iPad2 a justifiable upgrade?
leveller 28th March 2011, 10:46 Quote
I love my iPad, and I like the 3DS a lot, I'm very impressed with it, soooo .....

LG release a pad capable of 3D capture and plays it back to the user who wears passive glasses:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/28/lgs-3d-capable-optimus-pad-nabs-march-31st-retail-date-in-japan/

..... but combine the 3DS glasses-less tech with the iPhone4 retina detail level and whatever iPad version is available by then .....

I'll pre-order that!
Deders 28th March 2011, 18:11 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madness_3d
You know it has Dual GPU's right :P
Still not for me. Now a Sony Vaio X... THAT, is where it's at...

Had no idea, not read up on the specs, still 2 graphics chips needed for enough grunt to play 1920x1080 videos? I realise that low power consumption will be one of their highest priorities but still.

Also my post was in reply to the post above and tablets in general
Deders 28th March 2011, 19:01 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxo


It's all just marketing, man!
The people who argue this, of course, think nothing of spending +£300,-- on a marginally faster graphics card, because it can play Crysis, you know?

It's overpriced crap.
As opposed to, say, overheating X-Boxes, any Sony product, your GAP khaki's? Still, found a cheaper, better tablet yet?

Talking as someone who is playing Crysis2 (and Crysis) on G92 hardware (smoothly), both at full detail. The Apple marketing has been so effective that a lot of people say iPod instead of MP3 player, so when people go out to but an MP3 player they will go with what they have heard of most and buy an iPod without really looking at what the competition has to offer, while the iPod has a great UI, other features like sound quality, battery life and flexibility etc. are often bettered by competing products for a lower price.

Sony is an interesting one, you may pay for the name with some of their products, but with others they deliver better quality than some equipment that you would pay more than double or triple the price for, MDR EX300 earphones are a prime example. With a decent quality MP3 player and well encoded files (the lame codec keeps much more of the lost frequencies and clarity than other codec's I've tested) they deliver what I would equate to as HD sound, although using MP3's it's probably closer to the low bandwidth 1080HD that TV services offer than Blu-ray. It's a great find for £30-£40, considering that for a long time after their release you'd have to pay well over £100 for the same kind of listening experience.

The MDR EX500's on the other hand are £80 from the sony store (£50-£70 in most other places, I picked mine up for less than £40, a while ago Tesco had them on offer for a tenner) They offer twice the capacity at 200mw (Specs on the Sony site aren't the same as the ones on the back of the box or the instructions) and better (106db) sensitivity, the justification for the extra price is the multi layered diaphram which is essentially having the equivalent of a tweeter added to a speaker. On the equipment I listen to them on and the music I listen to, that equates to a very slightly improved treble, but only very slightly, I'd say the ex300's are 97% there.
Pot Of Jam 28th March 2011, 21:00 Quote
Well I'm glad it came out, got a iPad 1 for 100 less.

Why do people slag off people with apple products?

When buying my iPhone I use a HTC hero and although it was good the apps were lame and the batt life was shocking. My iPhone 3GS is 18 months old and still gets 2 days use, my mates new desire doesn't last the day.

I think android users are just jealous cos they can't afford the original smart phone for the masses.
doggy 29th March 2011, 03:21 Quote
Personally it is the sickly fingers down throat branding and marketing of the Apple products that drives me away. I don't want my product to come in 3 different shades of pink or only have 1 button and not be able to tamper too much with the hardware/software because Mr Apple doesn't think as a consumer i am capable of thinking outside the box so to speak....

We do have an Ipad in the house i bought a 2nd hand one for my 7 year old son and he finds them a lot more simplistic and easier to use than conventional laptops or computers, which is precisely why i don't want one..
thehippoz 29th March 2011, 03:39 Quote
yeah deders.. lame did an experiment awhile back with audiophiles- and they found they couldn't tell the difference between a well encoded lame track and the raw wav

come a long way in encoding since the early 90's.. remember all the proprietary compression back then- it was so bad but harddrives were like 200 mb

so you'd run out of room editing without compression.. and the sound quality was'nt any good

apples proprietary compressor isn't too bad, but when you convert a compressed track to another compressed format, gonna lose some fidelity
lbyg2011 29th March 2011, 21:07 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloFunky
Someone told me it doesent even have a usb port, and we both laughed, thats all i know about it so far though.

yeah, either does the 1st ipad, they are rubbish really to be fair if you think about it, people on get them because when they came out they were like a trend, but whats the point in them wiht no disk drive/usb ports etc etc, they are just a really sexy tablet haha !!!
LightningPete 30th March 2011, 23:54 Quote
heres food for thought. The LG Optimus 2X, beats the Ipad2 at both startup times and loading angry birds. So yeh. Pathetic, expensive and doesnt even beat the hardware specifications of those with Tegra 2. Fanboy much? No, but factual benchmarking hero, Yes.
Pieface 30th March 2011, 23:59 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggy
Personally it is the sickly fingers down throat branding and marketing of the Apple products that drives me away. I don't want my product to come in 3 different shades of pink or only have 1 button and not be able to tamper too much with the hardware/software because Mr Apple doesn't think as a consumer i am capable of thinking outside the box so to speak....

We do have an Ipad in the house i bought a 2nd hand one for my 7 year old son and he finds them a lot more simplistic and easier to use than conventional laptops or computers, which is precisely why i don't want one..

Woah, woah, woah. The reason why you don't want an iPad, is because its more simplistic and easier to use? Now I've heard everything.
FuzzyOne 31st March 2011, 00:15 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pot Of Jam
Well I'm glad it came out, got a iPad 1 for 100 less.

Why do people slag off people with apple products?

When buying my iPhone I use a HTC hero and although it was good the apps were lame and the batt life was shocking. My iPhone 3GS is 18 months old and still gets 2 days use, my mates new desire doesn't last the day.

I think android users are just jealous cos they can't afford the original smart phone for the masses.

Volund 31st March 2011, 00:31 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieface
Woah, woah, woah. The reason why you don't want an iPad, is because its more simplistic and easier to use? Now I've heard everything.

simplistic and easier to use is not always good..... my Fischer price computer is a hell of a lot easier to use than my desktop, but doesn't do anything close to what the desktop does. Same thing with the iPad, it is simple and easy to use, but doesn't have the power or usefulness (IMHO, tablets in general fall into this catagory) of a laptop, netbook, desktop, or any other computer. Just not having a physical keyboard is a big stumbling block for me personally.
eddtox 31st March 2011, 11:06 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volund
...Just not having a physical keyboard is a big stumbling block for me personally.

I really thought that would drive me mad, and was planning to get some kind of case with a keyboard (like the excellent zaggmate), but I find I can type almost as fast on the ipad's on screen keyboard as I can on a real one (and I've only had the ipad for a week).
uz1_l0v3r 31st March 2011, 13:11 Quote
[QUOTE=Pieface]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHunter


Thirdly, people know what they want to buy, most people want an easy to use item such as an iPad, they won't add new things to it, or jiggle about with it. And I'm pretty sure most people who buy it know they are buying a product with Apple apps. And with around 65,000 apps, I bet there is an App out there for whatever that consumer wants.

Omg, do you work for Apple marketing or something?
uz1_l0v3r 31st March 2011, 13:13 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volund
Just not having a physical keyboard is a big stumbling block for me personally.

You can get a keyboard attachment, although I dare say it's extortionately priced.
uz1_l0v3r 31st March 2011, 13:14 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMIFFYDUDE
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehippoz
could care less..

It's couldn't care less.
e.g. I couldn't care less about about the Apple iPad

Some Americans say "could care less", very annoying.
kempez 1st April 2011, 13:23 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by uz1_l0v3r
You can get a keyboard attachment, although I dare say it's extortionately priced.

You can buy the Apple wireless keyboard, which you can pick up second hand for about £30.
eddtox 1st April 2011, 13:31 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by kempez
You can buy the Apple wireless keyboard, which you can pick up second hand for about £30.

I think most bluetooth keyboards should work..
SamSalo 12th April 2011, 01:59 Quote
I just bought an iPad 1 for a lot cheaper thanks to the iPad 2. I can read library books without going to the library, and not worry about late fees. Good enough for me.
Deders 3rd June 2011, 16:34 Quote
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums
CM Storm NovaTouch TKL Review

CM Storm NovaTouch TKL Review

24th October 2014

Corsair Gaming H1500 Review

Corsair Gaming H1500 Review

23rd October 2014

CM Storm Resonar Review

CM Storm Resonar Review

22nd October 2014