bit-tech.net

The iPad: I finally understand it

Posted on 20th Jul 2010 at 10:28 by Antony Leather with 89 comments

Antony Leather
I love my iPhone. Before I get dumped in the Apple fanboy pigeon hole though, I can honestly say it's the first Apple product I've owned and despite enjoying it, I'm still very unlikely to buy a Mac. I like the iPhone because of its large screen, responsive touch interface and range of apps that are genuinely useful - not to mention it's a fully functioning iPod.

However, the iPad reignited my loathing of the ruthless Apple PR machine and the brainwashed hordes falling over each other to get one. It's hideously expensive and generally far inferior to a laptop but most importantly, I simply couldn't see decent reason you'd actually buy one.

Tablets have been around for years and have never really taken off. After all, most tried (and still try) to cram in a desktop-orientated operating system, usually meaning they're painful to use and lack power and features. The iPad at least has the weight of iTunes behind it with games, apps, ebooks, music and videos but with no proper keyboard, lack of Flash support and not sporting anything better than a bigger screen over and above an iPod Touch, why not just get a laptop?

That's my thinking anyway. I can't imagine having a keyboard and screen in the same plane is as easy as having them in separate ones with a laptop. You've also required to hold it in such a way that the screen faces your eyes. Again a laptop does what it says on the tin - sits on your lap and allows you to point the screen at your eyes with its base remaining on your knees or desk.

The iPad: I finally understand it I finally understand the iPad
Jake Humphrey using his iPad whilst presenting Formula 1 on the BBC.

So basically I'm questioning its very existence although for Jake Humphrey presenting the BBC's Formula 1 coverage, the iPad does seem to be an ideal tool for the job. But apart from TV presenters, who else fits the bill for actually using an iPad in a situation where a laptop might be awkward to use? I was stumped until last weekend when, after weeks of asking me to borrow an iPad from work, my girlfriend and I walked into an Apple store in Lakeside where she spent the next half an hour playing with one while I drooled over the iPhone 4.

Despite my antics with modding, overclocking and PCs in general, my girlfriend isn't very tech savvy and prefers things to be simple and easy to use or else she just doesn't use them. She'll use the internet mainly to watch videos, send emails, read news articles and do research for work and doesn't play games. She prefers reading, and listening to music. And she loved the iPad. What's more I could see her using it at home a lot as it's so easy to use and does everything she needs it to.

The iPad: I finally understand it I finally understand the iPad
Does ease of use, a great interface and the power of iTunes, mean the iPad has found solid ground?


Now from my perspective, dealing with Windows is something I've done for two decades. I'm used to updates, viruses, maintenance, reinstalling and everything games and applications bring too. As such, my new Windows 7 based CULV laptop is the best thing I've bought for a while and I'd just find the iPad too restrictive.

But it's easy to forget that a vast majority of the population find these things either a waste of time or simply have no idea how to do them. A big reason the iPhone and iPad are selling like hotcakes is that they're so easy to use - clearly an attribute which has been massively underestimated and devices like these are ploughing their own segment through the field of market share.

What do you think of the iPad? Is it a waste of materials, just another consumer device or do you think it's a great idea? Let us know in the comments.

89 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
isaac12345 20th July 2010, 11:55 Quote
I think what the IPad does is bring simplicity, intuitiveness and ease of use into the tablet market. If a tool has an easy learning curve people would want to use it because they think its good value for their money and that they can spend a lot more time being productive with the tool rather than learning how to use it. Unfortunately the IPad competes with a lot of traditional media and technology like paper books,laptops, etc. I think that's why it got a lot of criticism.
I hope the market learns the fact that ease of use = profit + happy customers
leveller 20th July 2010, 12:10 Quote
PC's fail to keep things simple.

Hardware shouldn't conflict.
Software shouldn't crash or contain bugs.
Viruses shouldn't be able to install themselves.
User interfaces should be (isaac12345's words) intuitive, simple and be easy to use, and understand.
The learning curve should be tiny. But the more advanced of us can then take off and do whatever.

The PC fails the less technically-minded. Even the Mac fails to some degree despite everyones trumpeting.

The iPad is Speak'n'Spell for kids and adults. That is NOT a bad thing :)
Optimaximal 20th July 2010, 12:21 Quote
It's worth remebering the iPad is a CONSUMPTION device. Any attempt to make anything else of it, even with fancy productivity stuff like iWork, is futile from a usability point of view as it's just not optimised.
Phalanx 20th July 2010, 12:22 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by leveller
The iPad is Speak'n'Spell for kids and adults.

Best slogan ever. I am SO using that from now on! :D
Skippylee 20th July 2010, 12:25 Quote
I am and always will be a PC. I worked and played with them for years. I have never seen the attraction of a Mac when you consider you can get virtually everything for a Mac on the PC.

Two months ago I won an iPad in a competition and to be honest I think it is fantastic. As pointed out in the article the iPad will never be able to replace a laptop but if you do not own one (like me) then it is the perfect piece of kit to fill the gap.

Also my wife loves it too, she, like Anthony's girlfriend, is a simpleton :D
barndoor101 20th July 2010, 12:25 Quote
i currently have 2 ipads on my desk at work - i despise apple but i can see that tablets are going to take off.

the only thing is i cant help but feel apple didnt go far enough - it is just a big iPod. Android is in line for a big upgrade for tablets, and i think google will do much more in terms of taking advantage of the larger screen size.
Paradigm Shifter 20th July 2010, 12:27 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by leveller
PC's fail to keep things simple.

Hardware shouldn't conflict.
Software shouldn't crash or contain bugs.
Viruses shouldn't be able to install themselves.
User interfaces should be (isaac12345's words) intuitive, simple and be easy to use, and understand.
The learning curve should be tiny. But the more advanced of us can then take off and do whatever.

The PC fails the less technically-minded. Even the Mac fails to some degree despite everyones trumpeting.

The iPad is Speak'n'Spell for kids and adults. That is NOT a bad thing :)
PC = Personal Computer.

Mac = PC.

And I saw far too many 'spinning rainbow wheels of death' in OSX when I was working in a lab that used Macs exclusively.
crazyceo 20th July 2010, 12:27 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph4lanx
Quote:
Originally Posted by leveller
The iPad is Speak'n'Spell for kids and adults.

Best slogan ever. I am SO using that from now on! :D

But what was Speak'n'Spell famous for? Being dismantled by E.T. and parts used to "Phone Home!" (with pointy finger glowing all orange)
Stelph 20th July 2010, 12:28 Quote
Totally agree with this article, the iPad is and has always been aimed at the mainstream, less tech savvy people who just want something to work without having to load patches/install hacks ect. Whats annoying however is that Apple were in a perfect position to bring a really great tablet into the market, and yet blew it.

When its suppose to be a media consumption device, not having a USB or SD card slot built in is a serious issue (yes I know you can get an adapter, but that's an extra cost and hassle) and the price! Since it does not have anywhere near the functionality of a laptop at the same price, and it (apparently) costs £171 to build something that they sell for £429, it just seems like they are taking the mickey really.
crazyceo 20th July 2010, 12:34 Quote
It's marketed at the slick gel hair BBC presenter with thousands of pounds disposable income with no thought of his own. It's the new shiny shiny thingy that Stephen Fry gets to use the grinder app on a bigger screen. So does it mean you have to be a cruising homosexual or a BBC presenter wannabe to get one and think it's good?
Gordy 20th July 2010, 12:40 Quote
I love my iPad, but it's not for everyone. I've told many friends who have been wanting one not to get one as their needs don't match what the iPad can do.

It's biggest selling point is the ease of use and how similar it is to the iPhone. Most tech blogs and forums simply forget that the geek portion of the world is tiny in comparison to the ordinary users who don't want tons of options and tweaks. They just want something that does what they need and do it very well.

Phone companies and other technologies have for years tried to out feature apples products, but to do that misses the point completely. What apple have been very good at is bringing exactly what you need and doing it well. The rest is left out.

Tablets have always been poor as no one has written an operating system for them. IOS works so well on the iPad despite it's poor specs.

What I think is the major missing thing from the iPad is a camera. The ability to Skype on it would be for me the missing feature. That said my iPhone should be able to do that instead.

What the iPad needs to is competition. I love the fact that Android have forced Apple to keep inovating. It needs someone to do the same with the iPad. At the moment there is nothing else out there that is. The PalmPad from HP might be this alternative. You only have to look at the phone industry over the last few years to see what could happen. One or two iPad type devices would be great for us customers.
eddtox 20th July 2010, 12:53 Quote
Good for your average (technological) simpleton, and good at doing the things apple wants you to do with it.

However, having played with one, I can imagine finding it frustrating and restrictive very quickly.

It is not a device for geeks. It is a 'content consumption device' for the masses. And of course, apple gets a cut of most of the content you purchase, so they're laughing all the way to the bank.
Cei 20th July 2010, 12:59 Quote
It's a consumption device. My iPad is fantastic for watching movies/TV shows on long train rides, as well as for browsing the net on the sofa. No, it can't do "work" (ie: write documents, FTP files here there and everywhere, code), but it isn't intended to do that.

As a consumption device it doesn't need a full OS, such as Windows or OS X, so the use of iOS makes perfect sense. It can't replace a laptop if you need one of those for work functions, but if you just use a laptop for media then the iPad does a better job.
maximus09 20th July 2010, 13:01 Quote
So this article is basically saying that Apple is targeted to the less tech-savvy people? Ok so lets re-word Steve Jobs last statement at the iPhone 4 confrence from "We love our customers" to "We love our customers to be stupid".

Although I think it is a good thing what Apple have done such as dumb down the front-end of the OS which works perfectly for the iPhone/iPad but thank god they haven't done it with OSX, lets hope they don't go that root.

I think MACs are very specificly targetted to professionals and/or people who just want to use it for work and internet. They are really not for entertainment, they are not media orientated. The last Mac Book I bought couldn't even last long enough to play a whole DVD. Apple also rejected BluRay as well.

So it was about time they build a platform which is orientated towards entertainment and content a la iPhone/iPad. Now you can have your £1000 Mac book for word processing, your £500 iPad for watching videos and reading books in your lap up until you neck really hurts unless you spend another £50 on a stand, and your £400 iPhone for music and communication. Next they will build a new platform just for gaming costing £2000.

To be honest I could build a monster PC capable of doing all that and more with half that money :P

The only thing I love about Apple is the quality of build, the uni-body cases which are stong and attractive! If I could I would buy a mac pro, rip out its guts and replace with PC :D
[USRF]Obiwan 20th July 2010, 13:05 Quote
Well if they made it Like the I phone then you actually have something. Right now it's a Ipod with a bigger screen. I bet Apple had it layout out already. We will see the next big thing being introduced end of next year: "the Ipadone! Yes now you can make a call to your favorite friends and chat with them with ease on the big screen. No more tiny sms typing. Easily manage your contacts with their pictures and blablabla.... for the amazing introduction price of 999".
Combatus 20th July 2010, 13:07 Quote
I think iPhad would be better ;)
kempez 20th July 2010, 13:57 Quote
I agree with the article and I too, love my iPhone. I also love my watercooled, overclocked, modded Win 7 desktop. They all have their niches in my life.

I will also say that Apple have their customer care right too. I purchased extended warranty for my 3GS (like I did with my TV in Richer Sounds). It developed a crack in the back by the charge point. I requested a replacement and Apple shipped me an empty pre-paid box the next day. Within 3 days I had an 'as new' 3GS in my hands. I restored the whole thing from iTunes and I was away. Only Dell's monitor warranty has matched that for customer care in the PC industry for me.
eddtox 20th July 2010, 14:02 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus09
£1000 Mac book for word processing

Haha.. that about sums it up for me :P. For a geek, the iPad is overpriced for what it does. I can get a culv win7 laptop for £300-400. I will happily pay 900 for something like the iPad, if it also fulfills the laptop role, but as a big iPod, I can't justify it.
Ergath 20th July 2010, 14:14 Quote
My view in short: Apple products = good quality but restrictive. Apple= more evil than Darth Vader's century-old unchanged underpants.
Woodspoon 20th July 2010, 14:32 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combatus
I think iPhad would be better ;)
+1 spot on

It's for people who like shiney shiney and people who dont know how to use anything better properly.
robots 20th July 2010, 14:35 Quote
Yeah it's great for people who don't know how, or can't be bothered to maintain a PC. Personally though I'm not like that, so that is pretty meaningless to me. It's also not like a modern PC is that hard to maintain these days anyway.

My uncle has an iPad and it's great. I really like it because it's great looking, very simple, extremely usable, and it's a bit easier to manipulate than a laptop. It's nice to slouch back in a couch and just flick your way though web pages or books with your finger tip.

The problem for me is that a laptop isn't a whole lot different. You might have to sit slightly differently to keep it on your lap, but it's not a big deal. It's still great on the couch and great to browse and stuff while lying in bed, and you still manipulate it with your finger tip..

The clincher for me, is that there are some incredibly good Flash games out there. I have a good PC with an HD 5870 graphics card, so I'm able to play pretty much anything and crank it, and yet I still spend a lot of my time playing Flash games. There are hundreds of thousands of them and many of them are surprisingly brilliant. So with a laptop, you can browse, read books, and listen to music, just as easily as the iPad, but you can also play these great Flash games while lying in bed too. I love my iPhone but having to spend money on games, 99% of which, are second rate copies of Flash games, is something that really bugs me. So for that reason alone, I wouldn't get an iPad. The icing on the cake is as other people have mentioned, typing documents and FTP'ing files, a bit of web design or video editing etc... with a laptop you can do anything. With an iPad you can't even do half of all that. So to me it boils down to an iPad giving you about 10% improved comfort and usability over a laptop, but losing about 85% of it's scope.

And in the next several months there are going to be a lot of Windows based tablets coming to the market. That is what I would buy. I remember seeing one of them which was like a laptop but you can just yank the screen off and the screen becomes a tablet. Then just re-attach it to the base when you want more power and the keyboard. I would buy something like that.

Personally though, I have very little need for any portable device. If I'm out and about, then my iPhone is perfectly fine. I can browse, do emails, listen to music and watch films, so all is great. And if I'm at home, then I would rather just sit in my big comfy chair at my uber PC. And that's another clincher. There is a bit of a pointlessness about the iPad in that if you are outside then you aren't going to achieve anything more than you could with a far more portable phone (or iPhone). And if you are at home or at work, then you have your far superior desktop PC to use anyway.
sotu1 20th July 2010, 14:51 Quote
Ahhh so you like it cuz your girlfriend can use it..... ;)

I still can't justify it :(
VipersGratitude 20th July 2010, 15:05 Quote
Swiss Army knives - You wouldnt want to build a house with one, because the tools are very basic...but they're useful because you can just drop it in your pocket and not be inconvenienced by it until you need to perform a basic task.

But if some company decided that they were going to make a GIANT Swiss Army knife with the same, but slightly bigger tools, that needed its own carrying case you'd tell them that was stupid, right?
Combatus 20th July 2010, 15:23 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotu1
Ahhh so you like it cuz your girlfriend can use it..... ;)

I still can't justify it :(

Never said I liked it, just that I now understand who might actually want to buy one ;)
WildThing 20th July 2010, 15:40 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by VipersGratitude
Swiss Army knives - You wouldnt want to build a house with one, because the tools are very basic...but they're useful because you can just drop it in your pocket and not be inconvenienced by it until you need to perform a basic task.

But if some company decided that they were going to make a GIANT Swiss Army knife with the same, but slightly bigger tools, that needed its own carrying case you'd tell them that was stupid, right?

Interesting analogy. :)

For me, there would be no reason to buy one, I don't get out much so I use my PC for just about everything. However, if someone gave me one or I won it in a competition, I'm sure I'd find a use for it.

One question a bit off-topic, can they be Jailbroken?
Burnout21 20th July 2010, 15:50 Quote
When i first heard news of the Ipad, i thought oh joy a technical proof of a concept that works, but doesn't offer anything really. My argument being that music playback on such a device on the move would be daft as it doesn't fit in ones pocket.

Ebook's, well e-ink is a far better system, so give me a kindle and as for interwebz and such, the ipod touch and iphone do that rather well.


HOWEVER,

Then it hit me, fantastic touch screen tech, nice size.... Portable digital sketch pad, almost wacom cintiq cheesecake.

But the downfall, its expensive, and requires power something a sketch pad for £5 including the price of a decent pencil or biro depending on my mood, it once again falls into the ifail group for now.

Don't get me wrong, sitting in a comfortable chair in an office with that in hand and stylus in the other, headphones in listening to grooveshark across the wireless network internet cheesecake, Sounds very appealing.

Also a device to present ideas in a coffee shop to clients sounds like a life saver, anyone trying to present a concept in a busy place would know my pain, no matter how well planned it was.

So until I get rich the ipad is still a no no for me, just looking to get an iphone to start my mac ownership, and possibly hate myself afterwards.
supermonkey 20th July 2010, 16:39 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus09
So this article is basically saying that Apple is targeted to the less tech-savvy people? Ok so lets re-word Steve Jobs last statement at the iPhone 4 confrence from "We love our customers" to "We love our customers to be stupid".

Why does "less tech-savvy" equal "stupid?" Can you design, build, and install functional and attractive kitchen cabinetry that will withstand decades of use? OK then.

Isn't this the third or fourth thread dedicated to debating pros and cons of the iPad/Mac OS? What surprised me is that after reading through many pages in the other threads, I looked here to see the same ignorant ranting about brainwashed masses. Really, it shouldn't be that difficult for highly educated geeks to understand that the majority of the population is not at all interested in the techie bits. We just want a device that works out of the box, is easy to use, and has good build quality.

I think it's interesting that some of the same geeks who mouth off about getting a Win7 CULV laptop for less money are the same people who drool over expensive sports cars. Why spend so much more money on a shiny toy car when a cheaper used VW will get you from point A to point B more efficiently? Right? Or just maybe there is something to the whole "user experience" thing.
IXON 20th July 2010, 17:00 Quote
I think Apple missed out on alot things on purpose with the ipad.

They could have added a camera
They could haved added a SD card slot
They could have added a USB port

But then what reason would it give people to upgrade to the ipad 2 next year.

They add these into the ipad 2 next year, & again knowing they have people fallen over themselves to buy one.
Combatus 20th July 2010, 17:02 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermonkey
Why does "less tech-savvy" equal "stupid?" Can you design, build, and install functional and attractive kitchen cabinetry that will withstand decades of use? OK then.

Isn't this the third or fourth thread dedicated to debating pros and cons of the iPad/Mac OS? What surprised me is that after reading through many pages in the other threads, I looked here to see the same ignorant ranting about brainwashed masses. Really, it shouldn't be that difficult for highly educated geeks to understand that the majority of the population is not at all interested in the techie bits. We just want a device that works out of the box, is easy to use, and has good build quality.

I think it's interesting that some of the same geeks who mouth off about getting a Win7 CULV laptop for less money are the same people who drool over expensive sports cars. Why spend so much more money on a shiny toy car when a cheaper used VW will get you from point A to point B more efficiently? Right? Or just maybe there is something to the whole "user experience" thing.

It's ALL about user experience and what's more we're all different. The shiny toy cars are fun to drive and anyone can call themselves a petrolhead whether they're into PCs, carpentry or sewing. Yes I could quite easily have got Ford Focus diesel which is more efficient than my Celica, but where's the fun in that? I know plenty of people who are actually quite timid on the road and even if they won the lottery, a fast car just isn't them. Plus, most people who drive sports cars make sacrifices in order to own them.

I'd argue the iPad is more of a purely entertainment orientated device whereas I use my laptop more for work so you can't really compare the two - for me it's more efficient and suited to what I do, plus I have no interest in getting a gaming laptop, yet I need more than the iPad can offer.
Volund 20th July 2010, 17:03 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by VipersGratitude
Swiss Army knives - You wouldnt want to build a house with one, because the tools are very basic...but they're useful because you can just drop it in your pocket and not be inconvenienced by it until you need to perform a basic task.

But if some company decided that they were going to make a GIANT Swiss Army knife with the same, but slightly bigger tools, that needed its own carrying case you'd tell them that was stupid, right?

But they did decide to make a GIANT Swiss Army Knife, the only thing is it has the same size tools- http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/8b97/
wuyanxu 20th July 2010, 17:31 Quote
i've been gathering fund to buy one for my granddad, he likes to play occasional solitaire, check emails and reading online articles. surely an iPad is much more suited for him than an old Pentium 4 PC he has.

the iPad isn't for us techies. but you cannot deny it will be excellent computer substitute for those occasional content consumers.
Altron 20th July 2010, 19:09 Quote
What would make the iPad great is if they took the little Mac desktop keyboard and bundled it with the iPad as an attachable/removable accessory.

As others have stated, it is a consumption device. it's not well equipped to create any sort of content, just to view it.

Most of the comments seem to be "Oh, well you can use it while lounging around on the couch" . My big ol' C2D laptop works fine for sitting on the couch to read the internets or whatever. It weighs probably five times as much as an iPad, and has probably a fifth of its battery life, but those don't matter because I can leave the charger on the end table, and I don't have to carry it anywhere.

That's my issue with the iPad. It's a bloated smartphone. It doesn't do anything the iPhone doesn't, except have a bigger screen.

It's big enough that you can't fit it in a pocket, so you need a backpack or some sort of bag to carry it. If you're going to have a backpack or some sort of bag, then you might as well just get a netbook, which is more versatile and much cheaper. And it's not like the versatility of a netbook only applies to hardcore users. My mom and girlfriend, neither of whom are tech-savvy, both have netbooks and love them. They use them exactly how most of the above posters claim an iPad should be used... to catch up on e-mails and news while on the couch or outside on the deck, to do simple computing tasks, to throw in an overnight bag for a short trip, etc. The only difference is, they can actually input information into it efficiently, using an interface they are familiar with.

I mean, a netbook is about 2 pounds. I can use it standing up. I can use it sitting down. I can use it while walking around. I can bring it on a train and use it there.

If carrying around a netbook in a small bag is inconvenient, then so is carrying around a similarly sized iPad.

The iPad has a nice feature set, but it is too big to be a smartphone alternative, and too stripped of features to be an alternative to a netbook unless you never type long documents on the go. Now, if only they made a smaller version of the iPad, maybe with phone capabilities, and an antenna that works, THAT would be one popular device.
Yslen 20th July 2010, 19:15 Quote
My iPad experience the other day was as follows. I was with my dad (it's his iPad) trying to fix and old Nikon digital camera (circa 1999). We wanted to find a service manual, so grabbed the iPad and searched for one. It was nice to be able to just pick the thing up and use it, without waiting for it to boot. We found a download pretty quick, but then everything came undone for Apple. The iPad couldn't handle the download of a .rar archive from rapidshare. We had to boot up an XP laptop (then wait 15 minutes because of the iPad's previous failure counting as a "download") to get hold of the file.

Once we had the PDF, we then had to send it via email to the iPad because there is no USB interface and it doesn't support network transfers at the moment, it seems. This meant a further wait of several minutes while the large PDF was uploaded and then downloaded again.

All in all, it would have been quicker and easier to use the laptop from the start, not to mention £429 cheaper.
<A88> 20th July 2010, 19:25 Quote
I've probably said it before, but the iPad's pretty close to desirable for me but doesn't quite tip the balance in terms of features.

I'd certainly not be against buying one, or a suitable Android or WebOS (or even Windows Phone 7, if they pulled their finger out and realised how well it'd work) alternative, but it really needs to have at least a webcam and some serious note-taking ability for me to justify trading £400 for one...if there's one thing Windows tablets could do reasonably well it was provide a suitable productivity environment in the form of OneNote and a digitizer, and using Evernote on a completely flat keyboard just doesn't cut it when I've got a laptop already.
Gordy 20th July 2010, 19:51 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altron

The iPad has a nice feature set, but it is too big to be a smartphone alternative, and too stripped of features to be an alternative to a netbook unless you never type long documents on the go. Now, if only they made a smaller version of the iPad, maybe with phone capabilities, and an antenna that works, THAT would be one popular device.

I have to say typing on the iPad is far better than you would imagine. I like it far more than my old netbook. The only thing that is slower is when you need to use characters not in the main selection.
eddtox 20th July 2010, 20:03 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy
I have to say typing on the iPad is far better than you would imagine. I like it far more than my old netbook. The only thing that is slower is when you need to use characters not in the main selection.

I've never owned a netbook, but I found typing on the iPad a real chore. My problem is that if I lay it on the table I can use both hands to type, but I have to crouch over it. Whereas if I hold it up, I only get to use one hand. All in all, I found it frustrating.
crazyceo 20th July 2010, 20:06 Quote
This is the 2010 Sony PSP! this years shiny shiny thingy and next year found scratched dusty behind the fridge and you didn't even remember you lost it.
thehippoz 20th July 2010, 20:24 Quote
that's why you don't go into the apple store with your girlfriend
Nexxo 20th July 2010, 20:50 Quote
Finally understand the iPad? Good. That took you guys long enough...
Pookeyhead 20th July 2010, 21:12 Quote
So as the article says.. it's for tech-tards. That's great.. it will stop them all buying PCs and then asking me to fix them when they grind to a halt through miss-use.
Grimloon 20th July 2010, 21:20 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxo
Finally understand the iPad? Good. That took you guys long enough...

Nope, still don't. It's like an iPod touch with a bigger screen - I have a 20" TV with iPod dock that takes care of that. Is it actually possible to do anything with an iPad that you can't do with an iPod Touch? So far I haven't seen it and that's despite two individuals in my department touting them as the best thing since sliced bread and constantly "demonstrating" for people (one is the Head of IT who, while tech very savvy, prefers Macs for home use, is an iPhone owner and rabid Apple fan while the other is a network engineer who thinks that the Xbox 360 is the epitome of gaming - I rest my case).

I can sort of see it as a consumption device but it looks very restricted to me. A Netbook can do more, costs less and is equally portable. I also loathe, detest and despise touch screens as opposed to a proper keyboard or keypad. Before anyone comments about "try it" I'll state that I have. Pen tablets (still got one), tablet PCs and touchscreen phones - hate the lot.

Then again, if it had been available 10 years ago I might have bought my parents one each but they're both so used to laptops now that it would actually be a step backwards for them. My father is a (finally) retired aero engineer who's still much happier with a pen and the back of an envelope than a PC and 10 years ago he'd probably have leapt at the chance of something that was that simple but could still do what he wanted. Now? I asked and the response was "Where's the keyboard? What use is that?"

Apple (and the Cult of Jobs) are trying to reinvent the wheel, admittedly with a certain degree of success. However, I can see it meeting with as much longterm success as the adoption of DVORAK over QWERTY. Personally I see iPhad being the most appropriate moniker for it. Sooner or later it will run out of steam and fall by the wayside. At the moment it's new, shiney and people are finding reasons for it to be a useful device. This appears to be pure PJR to me. My money is still on sooner rather than later.

@Pookeyhead: Do you honestly believe for one millionth of a second that they will always work perfectly or that it'll stop anyone from asking you about them? I wish I was on your planet, it seems to be much nicer than mine! You'll still get the support calls from family and friends but as it's a locked down platform you can do stuff all about it.
knuck 20th July 2010, 21:41 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeyhead
So as the article says.. it's for tech-tards. That's great.. it will stop them all buying PCs and then asking me to fix them when they grind to a halt through miss-use.


well said sir

At the moment I have ... (*stops to think)... 7 people (friends and family) waiting for me to fix their computers. It's been like that for over 10 years. I can't take it anymore :)
supermonkey 20th July 2010, 22:11 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimloon
Nope, still don't. It's like an iPod touch with a bigger screen - I have a 20" TV with iPod dock that takes care of that.
So, you routinely carry around the 20" TV wherever you go? Out of curiosity, how easy is it to get your TV through security at the airport?
Altron 20th July 2010, 22:20 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermonkey
So, you routinely carry around the 20" TV wherever you go? Out of curiosity, how easy is it to get your TV through security at the airport?

You put a ~9" tablet in your pocket? Everywhere you go?

Kids these days... their cargo pants are just so baggy.
leslie 20th July 2010, 23:04 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuyanxu
i've been gathering fund to buy one for my granddad, he likes to play occasional solitaire, check emails and reading online articles. surely an iPad is much more suited for him than an old Pentium 4 PC he has.
You may want to make sure he can handle the screen.
My grandmothers has trouble viewing lcd's, particularly smaller ones. Even if he can see it, it may not be comfortable for longer use.
supermonkey 20th July 2010, 23:14 Quote
Perhaps my response was a bit flippant, but it shouldn't be too hard to understand why the bigger screen is a nice feature. Grimloon suggested that his 20" TV was a suitable alternative. It might be, if all he wants to do is set his iPod in the dock, sit back, and watch a movie.

Personally, I would rather sit on the couch and use the iPad to watch videos, do casual web browsing, and play fun games while watching TV. Even more, I can certainly understand why it would make an excellent media device to take with me on trips. It's light, very portable, and has long battery life - unlike a 20" TV.
azrael- 20th July 2010, 23:22 Quote
Sorry in advance to offend anyone, but upon reading this blog post a slogan formed in my head, and it's probably not a slogan anyone would be proud of.

"Apple - we've dumbed down personal computing for the masses."

It's quite possible that vastly simplified computing is the way of the future (I'm afraid it is), but this is one trend I simply cannot applaud. Especially if it's done "the Apple way", which walls you in on every side.
Sloth 20th July 2010, 23:23 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermonkey

Personally, I would rather sit on the couch and use the iPad to watch videos, do casual web browsing, and play fun games while watching TV. Even more, I can certainly understand why it would make an excellent media device to take with me on trips. It's light, very portable, and has long battery life - unlike a 20" TV.
iPad + Airplane = Huge Success.

Then again, having everyone within two rows of you constantly watching you use the cool shiney device and those immediately next to you asking to try it out... maybe I'd think twice
eddtox 20th July 2010, 23:33 Quote
40+/-10%

I hypothesise that any Apple related thread will degenerate into pointless blathering after this many posts.

Good day.
knuck 21st July 2010, 00:25 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddtox
40+/-10%

I hypothesise that any Apple related thread will degenerate into pointless blathering after this many posts.

Good day.

We have had much worse, especially in the first iPad thread ;)
Altron 21st July 2010, 00:25 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermonkey
Perhaps my response was a bit flippant, but it shouldn't be too hard to understand why the bigger screen is a nice feature. Grimloon suggested that his 20" TV was a suitable alternative. It might be, if all he wants to do is set his iPod in the dock, sit back, and watch a movie.

Personally, I would rather sit on the couch and use the iPad to watch videos, do casual web browsing, and play fun games while watching TV. Even more, I can certainly understand why it would make an excellent media device to take with me on trips. It's light, very portable, and has long battery life - unlike a 20" TV.

The bigger screen is a nice feature when you aren't going anywhere with it.

That's my issue with the device, and why I am not planning on getting one.

The size of it is too big to fit in your pockets, or on a belt clip, or to carry around (unless you rigged up some James Bond-esque back holster).

It's by nature a compromise between features and portability, but making that compromise severely limits its utility. As far as I can tell, there are no situations where you would be able to bring an iPad, but a netbook would be too big/heavy. Either one is going to need a messenger bag or backpack or something along those lines.

It's the Porsche Cayenne of portable computing devices - tries to be two things at the same time (sports car and truck, smartphone and netbook) and doesn't do enough of a job at either of them to be useful in its own right, so only rich people who want the prestige go out and buy it.
Nexxo 21st July 2010, 01:12 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrael-
"Apple - we've dumbed down personal computing for the masses."

It's quite possible that vastly simplified computing is the way of the future (I'm afraid it is), but this is one trend I simply cannot applaud. Especially if it's done "the Apple way", which walls you in on every side.
Yeah, let's go back to the days of DOS (you pussies)! Now that was computing for the purists. And we didn't have any pussy anti-virus either --you should know what you are installing on your computer. And none of that "Plug and Play" business --install those drivers and write a config.sys and autoexec.bat file like a man!

Wot? You don't know DOS? Can't write a config.sys without consulting a manual? Kids these days... Windows just has dumbed them down.

Tell me another one. Not only is yours a patronising attitude, it is also hypocritical. What you call walls, another may call security. And unless you know at least DOS, you have no reason to talk.
azrael- 21st July 2010, 01:42 Quote
Well, my "computing history" started with a ZX81 (sorry to have skipped the PDP11). I'd say that gives me enough "reason to talk".

Apple doesn't wall you in? I just love how I need to use iTunes (valid credit card required!) to be able to access my iPod Touch, unless it's jailbroken. That's typical Apple for you. Control freaks to the max. Nothing about security here because they certainly don't stop scamware/malware from getting into AppStore. But then again, Apple makes a dime off that too. I'm certain Apple fans can find excuses for that, too.
CJs06 21st July 2010, 02:40 Quote
Apple set the standard originally for the smartphone segment with the iPhone and they still are today now with their 4th generation iPhone. I applaud them for this even though I'm a PC user to the core.

My gripe when I checked out the iPad was that Apple had the chance to set the standard again for the newly perceived tablet segment. Till that point no-one to my knowledge had produced an effective product to fill the tablet segment.

The iPad's standard, IMO, was set too low. I and many others were hoping for an iPad with a fully fledged OSX (a full OS). Instead we got a glorified iPhone with no phone, or a glorified iPod touch with 3G (choose your poison).

Now the tablet segment has the iPad that successfully filled it. IMO, Apple and their ability to pitch a product to the consumers made the iPad successful. For most people, there was no perceived standard for the tablet segment and the iPad was their first glimpse.

The good thing is the iPad excels at intuitive interface and ease of use. This was a standard set high but ultimately the device falls short because its use is limited by a smartphone OS.
jrs77 21st July 2010, 04:29 Quote
Allthough it was said several times I've to repeat it.

The iPad is a great device for people who use their PC/Notebook only for browsing the web, listening to music or watching videos on youtube, as there's no need to have a fully fledged system for that.

I'm a freelance graphics-designer and i use a Windows-machine as main-rig and a MacBook Pro when visiting clients, so I have basically all hardware available to not need an iPad, but...

When relaxing on the couch or in the garden the MacBook is allready way too much of hardware to just browse the web or write an eMail and it isn't actually comfortable to use it when lying down. To use the MacBook I've to sit quiet upright and typing on a keybord is aswell quiet uncomfortable while lying on the couch etc.

So yes I'm going to buy the iPad just because it's so comfortable to use for all that browsing etc. I'm waiting till christmas though and see if other manufactures start to release similar devices until then. Maybe something better even...
supermonkey 21st July 2010, 05:00 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrael-
Apple doesn't wall you in? I just love how I need to use iTunes (valid credit card required!) to be able to access my iPod Touch, unless it's jailbroken. That's typical Apple for you. Control freaks to the max. Nothing about security here because they certainly don't stop scamware/malware from getting into AppStore. But then again, Apple makes a dime off that too. I'm certain Apple fans can find excuses for that, too.
I don't believe you have to have a valid credit card just to install iTunes and access your iPod Touch. If all you're doing is loading it with your established media collection, you don't have to enter any credit card information. At least, I never had to do that when I used iTunes to manage my iPod Shuffle.

After I got my iPhone, I set up an iTunes account because I knew that I would eventually install apps from the store. Only then did I have to enter a credit card number. Of course, it's a store; I had to do the same when I first bought things from Amazon.
CJs06 21st July 2010, 06:13 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs77
Allthough it was said several times I've to repeat it.

So yes I'm going to buy the iPad just because it's so comfortable to use for all that browsing etc. I'm waiting till christmas though and see if other manufactures start to release similar devices until then. Maybe something better even...

Nice, I'm glad to see graphic designing allows for some expendable income... I'm in the wrong business :P

On a serious note, this would be the only way I could justify having one... but I don't have a couch, let alone a home :(
danielleil 21st July 2010, 09:07 Quote
I agree that apple have held back on the iPad. So many features that should be there but are not. I'll buy one when you can video skype from it.
jrs77 21st July 2010, 10:44 Quote
http://www.brushesapp.com/

This App is really another good reason for buying an iPad, as it allows me to do some really fast sketches, and it's even more intuitive then my Wacom Intuos4.

But yeah, skype video-calling would definately be something I'd like to see added aswell.
eddtox 21st July 2010, 10:46 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by knuck
We have had much worse, especially in the first iPad thread ;)

I know, I was there :P. But I think once an apple thread gets over 40 posts, it becomes a cyclical battle of wills between the various enthusiasts.
Lance 21st July 2010, 10:46 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielleil
I agree that apple have held back on the iPad. So many features that should be there but are not. I'll buy one when you can video skype from it.

A friend of mine deals with Apple on their products and was saying they've already got everything ready for the 9-18 month ipad 2/3gvid/whatever they want to call it.

Its good business, has anyone else noticed that Iphones come out around the time that peoples contracts on their last one start to end....
crazyceo 21st July 2010, 14:11 Quote
Funny how the Apple fanbois come out at the end of the conversation but bring absolutely nothing to it!
leveller 21st July 2010, 14:26 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yslen
Once we had the PDF, we then had to send it via email to the iPad because there is no USB interface and it doesn't support network transfers at the moment, it seems. This meant a further wait of several minutes while the large PDF was uploaded and then downloaded again.

You can wifi documents (inc .PDF) and movies to the iPad. You might need the right reader app to get it going but it can be done.
Xir 21st July 2010, 16:12 Quote
...my wife's grandpa would love to browse the internet, just reading, wikipedia, newspaper sites. Things like that.
Never owned a computer in his life, not nimble with his hands (no mousing), but point'n'click would work.
I guess he could use an Ipad....(but would get a stroke when I mention the price)

Her Father would love showing his clients pictures of work he's done, just placing the device on the table and gawk into the pretty good screen. Perfect.
But how do the pictures get from the camera into the Ipad, darn, no connections. And again, the price.

Both wouldn't mind using one.
Neither will get one.
Nexxo 21st July 2010, 20:10 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimloon
Apple (and the Cult of Jobs) are trying to reinvent the wheel, admittedly with a certain degree of success. However, I can see it meeting with as much longterm success as the adoption of DVORAK over QWERTY. Personally I see iPhad being the most appropriate moniker for it. Sooner or later it will run out of steam and fall by the wayside. At the moment it's new, shiney and people are finding reasons for it to be a useful device. This appears to be pure PJR to me. My money is still on sooner rather than later.
That feels a bit like saying that the colour TV is a passing fad. :D Fact is, the iPad is taking the world by storm while devices that sceptics thought of as much more promising (HP Slate, MS Courier) never made it out of beta. It is also interesting that many manufacturers are now scrabbling to launch tablets of their own. Obviously they see it as much less of a transient thing than you do. You can dislike it and you can find faults with it (because there are a number, and I will be waiting for iteration 2 myself), but you cannot deny that for many people it is pitched just right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrael-
Well, my "computing history" started with a ZX81 (sorry to have skipped the PDP11). I'd say that gives me enough "reason to talk".
Are you still using the CLI now? Or are you enjoying the comfort and eye-candy of Windows? Each iteration of which Microsoft has tried to make easier to use by the lay person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrael-
Apple doesn't wall you in? I just love how I need to use iTunes (valid credit card required!) to be able to access my iPod Touch, unless it's jailbroken. That's typical Apple for you. Control freaks to the max. Nothing about security here because they certainly don't stop scamware/malware from getting into AppStore. But then again, Apple makes a dime off that too. I'm certain Apple fans can find excuses for that, too.
Never said it doesn't --just that some people don't experience it as being walled in because basically, they don't want to go too far afield. They see it as security. You don't need a credit card to use iTunes (I know, that's how I used it for a long time; I like to buy my music on CD and then transfer it to the iPod, DRM-free). There is actually very little scam/malware in the Apple store; it is, by and large, vetted fairly well. Open source markets like that of Android are a free-for-all. There is no way to know whether that app is not a trojan pilfering your internet banking passwords. This is not a problem for us computer-savvy people, but for lay people it is a scary thought.
Nexxo 21st July 2010, 20:11 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyceo
Funny how the Apple fanbois come out at the end of the conversation but bring absolutely nothing to it!
Look who's talking. :p
VipersGratitude 21st July 2010, 21:30 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxo
Open source markets like that of Android are a free-for-all. There is no way to know whether that app is not a trojan pilfering your internet banking passwords. This is not a problem for us computer-savvy people, but for lay people it is a scary thought.

You're forgetting though that while an initial degree of walled-garden handholding is attractive to consumers when adopting a new technology it doesn't remain that way. With time consumers become more experienced, comfortable and confident using the technology, and eventually reach a plateau where they have outgrown the limitations placed on them.

Remember CompuServe? They created a walled-garden in the WOW network when surfing the internet was intimidating to the lay person. It was completely controlled by CompuServe. It was easier to use. It was safer. It was more secure...Where are they now? Non-existant, because consumers outgrew them.

The iPhone and Compuserve stories will end the same...It's already happening - iOS has seen a 9.5% decrease in market share in the past year, while Blackberry and Android have seen 8% increases. (yes, I've been doing a market analysis for a business proposal)
eddtox 21st July 2010, 21:37 Quote
Nexxo, I usually find your contributions well reasoned and enlightening, but over the last few months you really seem to have taken a turn towards Apple fanboy-ism. Sometimes it seems like you're only disagreeing for the sake of it. Or that you've made up your mind to defend apple and will say whatever you have to in order to do that. I find that knowing that often undermines the substance of your arguments in my mind.

I know that's just my opinion, and it doesn't count for much, but I just find it sad to see.
leveller 21st July 2010, 21:56 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddtox
I know that's just my opinion, and it doesn't count for much,

Ok.

So, because Nexxo can see through the affected opinions of Apple hatred and not side with you, and he champions some tech for what it is and who it appeals to, you think he's wrong??

Ok.
BigDaddyCainer 21st July 2010, 22:32 Quote
I don't like Apple very much. The Macs are for smug arty types who sit in coffee shops looking all smug and trendy as they surf the web and drink their exotic fair trade wheatgerm fluid.

Having said that, I have an iPhone. Not because it's arty or farty, because it's useful.

I have a iPad, and it's great for surfing the web in the loo, but that's
about it.

Microsoft have finally got it right with Windows 7, and I'm sick of people banging on about how great OSX is. It's easy to make an O/S from the ground up when you have a complete monopoly on who makes the hardware!

I work in IT. Linux, Windows Server, Win 7, Vista, XP right back to Windows 3.11

I've seen most things, but I have to say that the iPad really doesn't make any sense to me at all!
NuTech 22nd July 2010, 09:45 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by leveller
Ok.

So, because Nexxo can see through the affected opinions of Apple hatred and not side with you, and he champions some tech for what it is and who it appeals to, you think he's wrong??

Ok.
Hi, you must be new around here.

Here's how the majority of Bit-tech works: if you hate on all Apple products or game consoles, you're cool. If you hate on Apple products and consoles, you're cool and awesome.

Defend Apple for a heartbeat, or dare suggest that maybe, just maybe, their technology has a place in this world and you're instantly a raving mad fanboy who's responsible for dumbing down the world.

I hope you find your stay here comfortable. ;)
gavomatic57 22nd July 2010, 09:52 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyceo
Funny how the Apple fanbois come out at the end of the conversation but bring absolutely nothing to it!

It's funny how the uninformed haters come out at the start of the conversation but bring absolutely nothing to it.
leveller 22nd July 2010, 12:23 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuTech
Here's how the majority of Bit-tech works: if you hate on all Apple products or game consoles, then you think you're cool , but in reality, a nerd level 7. If you hate on Apple products and consoles, then you think you're cool and awesome, but in reality, a nerd level 9.7.

Fixed ;)
crazyceo 22nd July 2010, 12:45 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxo
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyceo
Funny how the Apple fanbois come out at the end of the conversation but bring absolutely nothing to it!
Look who's talking. :p

hook, line and sinker!
crazyceo 22nd July 2010, 12:47 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavomatic57
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyceo
Funny how the Apple fanbois come out at the end of the conversation but bring absolutely nothing to it!

It's funny how the uninformed haters come out at the start of the conversation but bring absolutely nothing to it.

Don't worry babe, I don't hate you. I just pity you!
barndoor101 22nd July 2010, 12:51 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxo
There is actually very little scam/malware in the Apple store; it is, by and large, vetted fairly well. Open source markets like that of Android are a free-for-all. There is no way to know whether that app is not a trojan pilfering your internet banking passwords. This is not a problem for us computer-savvy people, but for lay people it is a scary thought.

yeah, cus the app review works so well:

http://appshopper.com/blog/2010/07/20/handy-light-tethering-app-camouflaged-as-flashlight/
Kuni D 22nd July 2010, 13:49 Quote
It's an idea that's been around for a while, but never realised to its true potential. For a first crack you have to give Apple credit.

As someone mentioned before, people are fed up of hw/sw conflicts and over complex processes. Yes some of us (who could be classified as being more techy than the bulk of the iPad customers) may find it restrictive, but by being this way it is far more usable to the vast majority... which tbh is more important.

I'll get a 2nd gen probably.
eddtox 22nd July 2010, 14:01 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by leveller
Ok.

So, because Nexxo can see through the affected opinions of Apple hatred and not side with you, and he champions some tech for what it is and who it appeals to, you think he's wrong??

Ok.

Read my post.
azrael- 22nd July 2010, 19:25 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuni D
It's an idea that's been around for a while, but never realised to its true potential. For a first crack you have to give Apple credit.
Yes and no. Yes, because Apple have created a successful product. No, because the reason for this success mostly hinges on favourable reviews rather than technical accomplishments. I personally believe the iPad brings too little to the table for its success. It's as if reviewers are falling over themselves giving the iPad a glowing review.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuni D
As someone mentioned before, people are fed up of hw/sw conflicts and over complex processes. Yes some of us (who could be classified as being more techy than the bulk of the iPad customers) may find it restrictive, but by being this way it is far more usable to the vast majority... which tbh is more important.

I'll get a 2nd gen probably.
What annoys me the most about the iPad (and by extension most or all of Apple's products) isn't the userfriendliness. It's that this userfriendliness comes at the price of limiting what you actually can do with the device. Not only are you forced to use iTunes to transfer your data to and from the device. You're even limited in what types of files you can transfer.

My biggest problem with this trend towards "Apple-like" userfriendliness is that as more people buy products like this it slowly becomes the norm to have limited access/use devices like the iPad. I'm really afraid that at some point I won't be able to buy hardware any longer that actually does all the things I want.

I might be wrong about that, but I don't think so. There are already lots of trends. Just look at where gaming is heading, as an example. From powerful PCs to consoles like the Wii and its "casual games". I'm afraid this is the direction of where "computing" is generally heading. A future of bland hardware and software. Of pure users and consumers, and pandering for the lowest common denominator. And I don't like it one bit...
supermonkey 22nd July 2010, 20:31 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyCainer
I don't like Apple very much. The Macs are for smug arty types who sit in coffee shops looking all smug and trendy as they surf the web and drink their exotic fair trade wheatgerm fluid.

Having said that, I have an iPhone. Not because it's arty or farty, because it's useful.

I have a iPad, and it's great for surfing the web in the loo, but that's
about it.

Microsoft have finally got it right with Windows 7, and I'm sick of people banging on about how great OSX is. It's easy to make an O/S from the ground up when you have a complete monopoly on who makes the hardware!

I work in IT. Linux, Windows Server, Win 7, Vista, XP right back to Windows 3.11

I've seen most things, but I have to say that the iPad really doesn't make any sense to me at all!
I'm not sure I understand your point. You start off by stating very plainly that you don't like Apple. You then go on to slate all Mac users as smug trendy types. However, although you dislike Apple and think so little of Mac users, you admit to owning an iPhone. Furthermore, even though you tried to validate your opinion with weak credentials ("I work in IT...[insert list of operating systems]"), you state that you own an iPad even though you believe that it doesn't make any sense.

I have to ask: if you don't like Apple, and you don't see any value in the iPad, why did you get one?
crazyceo 23rd July 2010, 12:30 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermonkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyCainer
I don't like Apple very much. The Macs are for smug arty types who sit in coffee shops looking all smug and trendy as they surf the web and drink their exotic fair trade wheatgerm fluid.

Having said that, I have an iPhone. Not because it's arty or farty, because it's useful.

I have a iPad, and it's great for surfing the web in the loo, but that's
about it.

Microsoft have finally got it right with Windows 7, and I'm sick of people banging on about how great OSX is. It's easy to make an O/S from the ground up when you have a complete monopoly on who makes the hardware!

I work in IT. Linux, Windows Server, Win 7, Vista, XP right back to Windows 3.11

I've seen most things, but I have to say that the iPad really doesn't make any sense to me at all!
I'm not sure I understand your point. You start off by stating very plainly that you don't like Apple. You then go on to slate all Mac users as smug trendy types. However, although you dislike Apple and think so little of Mac users, you admit to owning an iPhone. Furthermore, even though you tried to validate your opinion with weak credentials ("I work in IT...[insert list of operating systems]"), you state that you own an iPad even though you believe that it doesn't make any sense.

I have to ask: if you don't like Apple, and you don't see any value in the iPad, why did you get one?

Apple users are smug trendy types or homosexual entertainers. I'm not dissing homosexual entertainers but can anyone please explain the need for Grindr?
supermonkey 23rd July 2010, 15:25 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyceo
Apple users are...homosexual entertainers.
Really?! Sign me up!

On second thought - nah, I've never really been keen on Broadway.
crazyceo 24th July 2010, 01:51 Quote
Why not? I hear the Lamb lies down on there!
NuTech 24th July 2010, 02:03 Quote
I'm confused. Are homosexual entertainers people who (gay or straight) just enjoy entertaining homosexuals (e.g. Madonna), or are they entertainers (of any variety) who just so happen to be gay?

We must get to the bottom (ha!) of this pressing matter.
BigDaddyCainer 24th July 2010, 17:09 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermonkey
I'm not sure I understand your point. You start off by stating very plainly that you don't like Apple. You then go on to slate all Mac users as smug trendy types. However, although you dislike Apple and think so little of Mac users, you admit to owning an iPhone. Furthermore, even though you tried to validate your opinion with weak credentials ("I work in IT...[insert list of operating systems]"), you state that you own an iPad even though you believe that it doesn't make any sense.

I have to ask: if you don't like Apple, and you don't see any value in the iPad, why did you get one?

You know what, I wasn't trying to make any point - I have an iPad because my wife wanted one, it looks nice on the coffee table and is great for buying stuff on the web, but like my post, it doesn't really have a point.

Therein lies the issue.

As for weak credentials, I could list everything I have done over the last 24 years if you like, but that would be as pointless as the iPad...

:o)

Gays and Entertainers.....Hmmm....:)
VipersGratitude 28th July 2010, 19:05 Quote
Very interesting blog on iPad demographics - http://mytype.com/blog/?p=109
crazyceo 29th July 2010, 11:07 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuTech
I'm confused. Are homosexual entertainers people who (gay or straight) just enjoy entertaining homosexuals (e.g. Madonna), or are they entertainers (of any variety) who just so happen to be gay?

We must get to the bottom (ha!) of this pressing matter.

I'd say it was more of a gay person who is an entertainer. However, I'm sure we can include straight people who happen to just entertain gay people!

Now I'm confused?
chin913 29th July 2010, 20:34 Quote
Well I have lots of pc's and a laptop and the iphone 3g and I just bought an Ipad and I love it .Jailbreak it and the world opens even more ,it's great for the kids in the car ,work and laying on sofa . It wont replace my laptop for certain thing but then my laptop wont replace the ipad for certain things .... Sometimes its just nice to turn something on and have it work with out all the fuss of booting times and viruses and compatability issues .......Well done again apple :-)
thehippoz 30th July 2010, 17:35 Quote
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums
CM Storm NovaTouch TKL Review

CM Storm NovaTouch TKL Review

24th October 2014

Corsair Gaming H1500 Review

Corsair Gaming H1500 Review

23rd October 2014

CM Storm Resonar Review

CM Storm Resonar Review

22nd October 2014