bit-tech.net

Titan Fenrir Evo Hands-on

Posted on 17th May 2010 at 11:40 by Richard Swinburne with 72 comments

Titan will be presenting its brand new Fenrir Evo HSF at Computex in just a few weeks, but as it's an update to our favourite air cooler, we couldn't wait that long to take a look, so we took a trip to Titan's offices here in Taiwan.

Titan Fenrir Evo Hands-on *Titan Fenrir Evo - Hands on preview
Click to enlarge

With a new coat of anodizing, the Fenrir has gone from white to red to black and gold now, but the core heatsink underneath remains the same. As Titan put it, why change what works?

The Evo upgrade comes from the fan, which has double the blade count to push more air at slower speeds. Titan claims the performance is identical to the previous models but the noise level has been dropped considerably, as has the full-speed RPM.

Titan Fenrir Evo Hands-on *Titan Fenrir Evo - Hands on preview
Click to enlarge

Now manufactured by Titan itself, the fan is considerably heavier with stronger plastic blades compared to the old one.

Titan Fenrir Evo Hands-on *Titan Fenrir Evo - Hands on preview
Click to enlarge

Titan will launch the fan by itself in a retail package, so if you haven't already upgraded your current Fenrir, you can simply buy the new fan to Evo-ise it.

Titan Fenrir Evo Hands-on *Titan Fenrir Evo - Hands on preview
Click to enlarge

The Titan Fenrir Evo will ship for the same competitive price as the current Fenrir, as it will replace the old model. We asked Titan how it could achieve such a good price considering its competitors were often asking for over £50. Titan explained they only have to source the raw materials (not pre-manufactured parts) as it manufactures everything itself. This lowers the costs.

Titan Fenrir Evo Hands-on *Titan Fenrir Evo - Hands on preview
Click to enlarge

On the subject of anodizing: Titan was keen to point out that heavily anodised aluminium drops the cooling performance of a heatsink and using an external company to anodise cooling parts often results in a variable thickness of the aluminium-oxide layer which in turn affects performance.

Titan Fenrir Evo Hands-on *Titan Fenrir Evo - Hands on preview
Click to enlarge

Titan stated that it's very specific not to let its anodising process result in a thick coating on the fins, which would damage performance. Honestly, it's not something we considered before, but clearly Titan has picked up on it and it's good to know they are maintaining quality control.

Fancy yourself a new Fenrir (or a new fan) then? Let us know in the forums.

72 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
gcwebbyuk 17th May 2010, 12:56 Quote
I like the black/gold colour scheme, just wish they had kept to more black that gold though. It makes it look too blingtastic!
barndoor101 17th May 2010, 12:59 Quote
do. want. when will BT/CPC get one to test?
Ending Credits 17th May 2010, 13:07 Quote
I might just take the plunge although it seems a bit futile considering I already have a decent cooler.
capnPedro 17th May 2010, 13:07 Quote
Titan need to get it over with and just do a range of different coloured models so everyone can get the colour that matches their PC's colour scheme.
mi1ez 17th May 2010, 13:07 Quote
NICE!
Apocalypso 17th May 2010, 13:14 Quote
Looks like a Scythe Gentle Typhoon but with more bling.
Baz 17th May 2010, 13:16 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoca1yps0
Looks like a Scythe Gentle Typhoon but with more bling.

Does look very similar doesn't it? Be sure we'll get one for testing ASAP.
barndoor101 17th May 2010, 13:23 Quote
let us know if its worth upgrading the fan if you already own a first gen fenrir.
shadow19935 17th May 2010, 13:25 Quote
Dont really like the look of it, maybe performance will make up for it?
Lockon Stratos 17th May 2010, 13:52 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by barndoor101
let us know if its worth upgrading the fan if you already own a first gen fenrir.

It is defnitely not - read the article again. Titan have already said that its the same cooler as the previous with the only 'REAL' difference being the fan. just buy a Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan. It doesnt come in the same gold colour or have PWM function but it looks just like the one titan are using. I am hugely dissapointed in Titan. there is no reason for this new product to exist. but its there because Titan are trying to milk their product. what an utter waste of time n effort.
barndoor101 17th May 2010, 13:57 Quote
i realise that the fan is the only change, however if it is significantly better than the one that comes with fenrirs at the moment then it may be worth a punt - meaning i will buy the fan on its own:

Titan will launch the fan by itself in a retail package
ripmax 17th May 2010, 13:58 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockon Stratos
It is defnitely not - read the article again. Titan have already said that its the same cooler as the previous with the only 'REAL' difference being the fan. just buy a Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan. It doesnt come in the same gold colour or have PWM function but it looks just like the one titan are using. I am hugely dissapointed in Titan. there is no reason for this new product to exist. but its there because Titan are trying to milk their product. what an utter waste of time n effort.

Yeah, the only reason you would buy one of the special editions is if you don't already have a Titan fenrir.
wuyanxu 17th May 2010, 13:58 Quote
just release 1 version and that's it, no need to re-release so many. at most, release in revisions so it's easier to distinguish between which one's the latest. (eg. TRUE revC)
Lockon Stratos 17th May 2010, 14:03 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripmax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockon Stratos
It is defnitely not - read the article again. Titan have already said that its the same cooler as the previous with the only 'REAL' difference being the fan. just buy a Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan. It doesnt come in the same gold colour or have PWM function but it looks just like the one titan are using. I am hugely dissapointed in Titan. there is no reason for this new product to exist. but its there because Titan are trying to milk their product. what an utter waste of time n effort.

Yeah, the only reason you would buy one of the special editions is if you don't already have a Titan fenrir.

& the sky is blue.
smc8788 17th May 2010, 14:05 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by barndoor101
i realise that the fan is the only change, however if it is significantly better than the one that comes with fenrirs at the moment then it may be worth a punt - meaning i will buy the fan on its own:

Titan will launch the fan by itself in a retail package

Could you not just buy a better fan to replace the old one anyway instead of waiting for the Titan one?
Lockon Stratos 17th May 2010, 14:07 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by smc8788
Could you not just buy a better fan to replace the old one anyway instead of waiting for the Titan one?

of course you could. theres nothing stopping you. you dont need to use the fan thats bundled with the cooler. put your own one on
barndoor101 17th May 2010, 14:13 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by smc8788
Quote:
Originally Posted by barndoor101
i realise that the fan is the only change, however if it is significantly better than the one that comes with fenrirs at the moment then it may be worth a punt - meaning i will buy the fan on its own:

Titan will launch the fan by itself in a retail package

Could you not just buy a better fan to replace the old one anyway instead of waiting for the Titan one?

most case fans dont have PWM, and also their CFM and static air pressure is quite weak. one of the reasons the fenrir does so well is that the fan can ramp up to a huge CFM but is very noisy. if this new fan can do a similar CFM and static air pressure but quieter then its worth an upgrade.
Lockon Stratos 17th May 2010, 15:00 Quote
Akasa apache is a good fan to stick on a cooler - its dead silent, moves a decent amount of air, has PWM & also comes in 2 colours. but if your looking for LED bling then your gonna have to look else where,
capnPedro 17th May 2010, 15:13 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockon Stratos
Akasa apache is a good fan to stick on a cooler - its dead silent,

I call shenanigans!

Nothing made by Akasa can come close to being called silent when compared to Gintle typhoons/Silent Eagles/Noctuas.

(I'm ignoring the fact 'silent' should really mean 0dB because everyone uses it to mean 'quiet' but it annoys me)
Lockon Stratos 17th May 2010, 15:35 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnPedro
I call shenanigans!

Nothing made by Akasa can come close to being called silent when compared to Gintle typhoons/Silent Eagles/Noctuas.

(I'm ignoring the fact 'silent' should really mean 0dB because everyone uses it to mean 'quiet' but it annoys me)

Ok let me see.... the Akasa has a 6.9 -16.05dB(A) rating...

gentle typhoon 1000RPM+ ranges from 16-28dB(A) respectively
Noctua NF-S12B FLX- 18,1 dB(A)
Noctua NF-P12 - 19.8dB(A)
Sharkoon Silent Eagle 1000RPM+ - 8.9-36.1dB(A) respectively

these results were taken from reviews & also specs on the official manufacturers website.


dont forget that the apache is only rated from 600 -1300 RPM so I think it does quite well if you compare it directly with the others.

your argument is invalid.
boy_lah 17th May 2010, 15:43 Quote
I have GT1450, Sharkoon 1000, Akasa Apache and Nexus Basic 1000 (good Yate Loons).

In order of noise....by my naked ear...no special equipment.
Nexus - quietest
Sharkoon / Akasa 'similar'
GT is noisiest at full throttle but the 'tone' is deep so you don't notice it much.

Of the fans above, I liked the Sharkoon's least. It's good, but the others are better at their respective niches.

For quiet case fan - get Nexus.
For coolers - get Akasa
For audible (but doesn't draw attention to itself tone) - get the GT
inv4der 17th May 2010, 15:50 Quote
Hello everyone...anyone has any idea of where I can buy Titan Fenrir Xmas or the Vanilla one in Canada?
KayDat 17th May 2010, 16:00 Quote
I wish Titan would get an Australian distributor...
rickysio 17th May 2010, 16:01 Quote
Ttian Fenrir Rangers : Soon coming to you in all shades of the rainbow!
barndoor101 17th May 2010, 16:20 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockon Stratos
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnPedro
I call shenanigans!

Nothing made by Akasa can come close to being called silent when compared to Gintle typhoons/Silent Eagles/Noctuas.

(I'm ignoring the fact 'silent' should really mean 0dB because everyone uses it to mean 'quiet' but it annoys me)

Ok let me see.... the Akasa has a 6.9 -16.05dB(A) rating...

gentle typhoon 1000RPM+ ranges from 16-28dB(A) respectively
Noctua NF-S12B FLX- 18,1 dB(A)
Noctua NF-P12 - 19.8dB(A)
Sharkoon Silent Eagle 1000RPM+ - 8.9-36.1dB(A) respectively

these results were taken from reviews & also specs on the official manufacturers website.


dont forget that the apache is only rated from 600 -1300 RPM so I think it does quite well if you compare it directly with the others.

your argument is invalid.

what the manufacturer rates a fan at (in terms of loudness and cfm) are so far removed from what actually happens. CPC did a great set of reviews of fans, very few if any hit their rated speeds and loudness
Lockon Stratos 17th May 2010, 16:36 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by barndoor101
what the manufacturer rates a fan at (in terms of loudness and cfm) are so far removed from what actually happens. CPC did a great set of reviews of fans, very few if any hit their rated speeds and loudness

agreed - but did i not say i pulled results from reviews also? Im just using the manufacturers spec as a basic guideline.
capnPedro 17th May 2010, 16:50 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockon Stratos
Ok let me see.... the Akasa has a 6.9 -16.05dB(A) rating...

{stats}

your argument is invalid.

I can't argue with statistics. I stand corrected.

I guess I've had a few too many bad experiences with Akasa fans. Especially with crappy bearings making a horrible noise when the fans are mounted upside down.
barndoor101 17th May 2010, 16:50 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockon Stratos
agreed - but did i not say i pulled results from reviews also? Im just using the manufacturers spec as a basic guideline.

yeah fair point. well, tomorrow ill be building a new pc at work with an akasa apache + meghalems as the cooler, so ill gauge it then.
Lockon Stratos 17th May 2010, 17:00 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnPedro
I can't argue with statistics. I stand corrected.

I guess I've had a few too many bad experiences with Akasa fans. Especially with crappy bearings making a horrible noise when the fans are mounted upside down.

Akasa has gotten a lot lot better over time. I remember being pretty noisey too. but dont forget these aint 80mm fans anymore. & if it is that the bearings & whatever inside is mounted wrong then fair play. cant argue with that. but they do have some quality products such as their award winning Nero & Neros 'S'
ed_456 17th May 2010, 17:08 Quote
Seems like Titan have got their product strategy inspiration from the COD series...
barndoor101 17th May 2010, 17:12 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_456
Seems like Titan have got their product strategy inspiration from the COD series...

except with rational pricing...
Zero_UK 17th May 2010, 17:45 Quote
Holy fu*k, my dear you look beautiful.
perplekks45 17th May 2010, 18:07 Quote
Too much gold.
Wing Zero 17th May 2010, 18:12 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by barndoor101
most case fans dont have PWM, and also their CFM and static air pressure is quite weak. one of the reasons the fenrir does so well is that the fan can ramp up to a huge CFM but is very noisy. if this new fan can do a similar CFM and static air pressure but quieter then its worth an upgrade.

it'd be interesting to see what the new Titan fan will be like when used with radiators. couple of those fans with PWM splitters and let the motherboard keep your WC loop quiet without the need for an external automoatic fancontroller like the MCubed T-Balancer
Farfalho 17th May 2010, 18:24 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by barndoor101
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_456
Seems like Titan have got their product strategy inspiration from the COD series...

except with rational pricing...

I lol'ed at this


It looks good and they haven't decided to sell the both at the same time, just like Intel did with 920 when 930 came up. Also the colour scheme goes with my copper parts and black case =D but I prefer my Zalman 9900 all-copper
barndoor101 17th May 2010, 18:28 Quote
i found it funny that one of the best CPU coolers costs less than acti charged for MW2
Rocket_Knight64 17th May 2010, 18:37 Quote
Fan really does look like a GT. Hope that helps somewhat in the noise dept. Is it still PWM?

Shame they missed the chance to make a 2 fan version. I'd like to see how 2 <1000rpm fans do on a i7.
Redsnake77 17th May 2010, 19:53 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnPedro
Titan need to get it over with and just do a range of different coloured models so everyone can get the colour that matches their PC's colour scheme.

Absolutely!
Xtrafresh 17th May 2010, 20:16 Quote
any word on testing the megahalems guys?
Pete J 17th May 2010, 20:21 Quote
Call me a pessimist but I have a feeling this new cooler is going to go wrong, just like the Venomous X did. Of course, I base this on absolutely nothing - it's just that lightning doesn't strike twice and the current Fenrir is truly a gem.

I do like the Gentle Typhoon rip-off fans though!
sWW 17th May 2010, 20:27 Quote
if the performance gain and the fan price is right i may upgrade
barndoor101 17th May 2010, 20:30 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete J
Call me a pessimist but I have a feeling this new cooler is going to go wrong, just like the Venomous X did. Of course, I base this on absolutely nothing - it's just that lightning doesn't strike twice and the current Fenrir is truly a gem.

I do like the Gentle Typhoon rip-off fans though!

i think thermalright really tried to over-engineer the TRUE when they made the venomousX - titan really havent done much, and what they have done (anodising, new fan) seems very evolutionary and they seem to take care in the changes (like doing anodising in house so they can monitor it carefully).
Star*Dagger 17th May 2010, 21:17 Quote
I have the predecessor to this heatsink. I fully endorse the Fenrir, and will be getting the new fan when it is available.
The color scheme is great.
1nsignia 17th May 2010, 21:18 Quote
Not sure which to buy now, this one or the last one. Will be upgrading my PC in 2/3 weeks time. Might just stick with stock cooling till this one is out. I know the article says they both perform similarly, but the quieter fan would be a good, and I don't really want to have to buy a separate fan later to get the quietness.
PopcornMachine 17th May 2010, 21:45 Quote
I have the original silver. Found it for just $45 so nabbed it quick. Didn't really think it looked that nice, but it was highly regarded and the price was right.

The Christmas edition had just come out and thought the design looked much better with some color. Now the EVO takes the cake.

Very cool looking cooler. :)

But can't justify buying another just for looks. If I had the cash, I'd buy one of each. I'm very sentimental.
Yslen 17th May 2010, 21:51 Quote
Stock fans are one of my pet hates. They're never as good as third party alternatives, and are clearly just tacked on to hike the selling price up without adding much to manufacturing costs. I have a drawer full of dreadful stock fans, and I'll be very surprised if this one is any different.
ssj12 18th May 2010, 00:32 Quote
sadly, this isnt available in the US... as expected...
Blackie Chan 18th May 2010, 01:32 Quote
For some reason I always prefer a black and blue livery on things that are high tech.
Lockon Stratos 18th May 2010, 10:42 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssj12
sadly, this isnt available in the US... as expected...

well of course - its not available to consumers just yet, this article is just a preview of whats to come.

& if your gonna be that butt hurt about it - theres nothing stopping you from grabbing their silver one or the Xmas edition & 2 cans of spray paint of your choice...

seriously guys. its only a paint job! its nothing that you cant do yourself. but i do admit that youd probably find it difficult to get the same 'factory finish' as titan.

so I really dont see what the fuss is about here.
G0UDG 18th May 2010, 12:27 Quote
I have to say I myself am more interested in cooling performance than looks or noise far more important for me at least,I guess though that personal choice comes into it as well
Unknownsock 18th May 2010, 13:54 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockon Stratos
Quote:
Originally Posted by barndoor101
let us know if its worth upgrading the fan if you already own a first gen fenrir.

It is defnitely not - read the article again. Titan have already said that its the same cooler as the previous with the only 'REAL' difference being the fan. just buy a Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan. It doesnt come in the same gold colour or have PWM function but it looks just like the one titan are using. I am hugely dissapointed in Titan. there is no reason for this new product to exist. but its there because Titan are trying to milk their product. what an utter waste of time n effort.

What? Its a product rehash? with slight improvements for the same price?

Some people really do whine...
October 18th May 2010, 22:38 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yslen
Stock fans are one of my pet hates. They're never as good as third party alternatives, and are clearly just tacked on to hike the selling price up without adding much to manufacturing costs. I have a drawer full of dreadful stock fans, and I'll be very surprised if this one is any different.

Yeah, the Fenrir's damned expensive alright... If only they wouldn't bundle a fan, it'd cost £30 and you could buy your own far superior £15 fan, everybody wins

I don't get why people are complaining about this, it's not a special edition being sold alongside the original to get people to buy all of them. It's a revision. It's what the Fenrir will be, standard. If people wanna upgrade because they like the colour, fine.

Personally I think the stock fan with the original (or Christmas, which I have) is awesome, keeps my quad nice n chilly. If the new one does exactly the same job only quieter I can definitely see picking one up.
somewhereoveryonda 19th May 2010, 00:03 Quote
It doesnt look as nice as the original colour scheme but theres no point in buying the old when the new is so quiet!
barndoor101 19th May 2010, 00:06 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by October
Yeah, the Fenrir's damned expensive alright... If only they wouldn't bundle a fan, it'd cost £30 and you could buy your own far superior £15 fan, everybody wins

umm, it costs 30 quid with the fan, so that would be 15 quid for the heatsink alone...
Star*Dagger 19th May 2010, 00:16 Quote
People in the UK need to not complain about prices until they find out WHY things cost so much more and FIX IT.
Somatic 19th May 2010, 01:00 Quote
I've got the Titan Fenrir V2 revision for a 1156 system and probably won't go with any of the special editions. I may replace the fan with a Scythe GT at a later date though, if it gets too noisy ramped up.

Does anyone know anything about the Alpenföhn Matterhorn? The colour scheme is nice.
http://vr-zone.com/articles/ekl-unveils-alpenfohn-matterhorn/8478.html
From what I can see, it's mostly available in Germany at the moment, not sure whether it'll be released in the UK anytime soon.
October 19th May 2010, 02:25 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by barndoor101
umm, it costs 30 quid with the fan, so that would be 15 quid for the heatsink alone...

I was being sarcastic, and it costs £36 - from Scan anyways. And you can bet if they took off the fan it wouldn't drop the price by £15
Tanacel 19th May 2010, 11:01 Quote
I'll wait for the Titan Fenrir Special Edition Episode 4, where Han steps on Jabba's tail.....

Though give them their due for at least releasing the fan seperately
Bindibadgi 19th May 2010, 12:34 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssj12
sadly, this isnt available in the US... as expected...

Titan claims the US is one of its biggest markets. It's just not available at Newegg, but you can buy it from the heatsink factory.
Xir 19th May 2010, 13:05 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star*Dagger
People in the UK need to not complain about prices until they find out WHY things cost so much more and FIX IT.

It's about 35euros in Germany, right?
Quote:
using an external company to anodise cooling parts often results in a variable thickness of the aluminium-oxide layer
Well you get what you pay for...if you browse oll of china you'll find all kinds of people willing to anodize for you, undercutting eachother. Just don't wonder if the results vary
:D

Eloxing is hardly rocket-science, nor is process control.
Raptor77 19th May 2010, 14:01 Quote
Christmas edition colours look nicer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sWW
if the performance gain and the fan price is right i may upgrade

Same here.



On a different note, does anyone know why the Fenrir's copper pipes terminate like that? Four of them look like end caps and the other four look almost unfinished to me, yet they've been like that in every picture I've seen.
October 19th May 2010, 14:06 Quote
It's the two ends of the one pipe.
Unicorn 19th May 2010, 14:15 Quote
I won't be upgrading either of my Fenrirs... in fact I'll be removing them and replacing them with a waterblock, in both S1366 machines. I find the manufacturing quality on the Fenrir to be the lowest I've ever seen on a HSF. I don't care if it's cheaper or that it will take a correct stepping i7 to 4 GHz on air, if the quality isn't there I don't want to pay for it. Just search the forums for people commenting on the poor quality of their Fenrirs and you'll see I'm not alone in this view.

Yeah, the black and gold colour scheme is nice and all, but I've already been disappointed by their manufacturing standards and I don't see a new cooler in different colours changing that. I buy for quality and performance, not one or the other.
Raptor77 19th May 2010, 14:21 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by October
It's the two ends of the one pipe.

So it is a case of not giving them the same finish?

Probably saves on a bit of money so I'm not complaining. Just doesn't look quite right to me.
barndoor101 19th May 2010, 14:23 Quote
to be honest i think most of the problems were caused by the crappy plastic packaging they come in - if someone mishandles it at the supplier the fins get bent out of shape easily.
Unicorn 19th May 2010, 14:25 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor77
So it is a case of not giving them the same finish?

Probably saves on a bit of money so I'm not complaining. Just doesn't look quite right to me.

No, it has nothing to do with finish dude... one end of a heatpipe is a machine manufactured, "bulb" like end, the other is a crimped end which gets machine crimped after the heatpipe is filled with refrigerant. This is the way all heatpipes are manufactured, it's just that on some HSF's the ends of the pipes are hidden or capped (the Scythe Kama Angle has capped heatpipes). There's no advantage to capping them though, it doesn't look that bad with just exposed pipes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barndoor101
to be honest i think most of the problems were caused by the crappy plastic packaging they come in - if someone mishandles it at the supplier the fins get bent out of shape easily.

That wasn't the issue for me. The packaging actually wasn't all that bad. All I can say is there must be some pretty careless people in packing depos at supplier warehouses. The issue for me was the baseplate. I hate (and I mean hate) to see flattened heatpipes on the base of a heatsink, because it's a given that manufacturers cannot create a seamless transition between the copper of the heatpipes and whatever other material they are using to make up the rest of the base (in the Fenrirs case, Aluminium). It's untidy looking, if the manufacturing is not up to scratch it can actually damage the IHS on a CPU when pressure is applied over a long period of time and it hinders performance compared to full, flat copper baseplates soldered mid plate to the heatpipes. I just don't see why manufacturers keep using such a flawed design :?
Raptor77 19th May 2010, 14:29 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn
No, it has nothing to do with finish dude... one end of a heatpipe is a machine manufactured, "bulb" like end, the other is a crimped end which gets machine crimped after the heatpipe is filled with refrigerant.

I didn't say that right, I mean it's a lack of finish. They just left the pipe how it comes out after manufacture. Placing a cap over the crimped end would make them all look the same.


Edit: I started typing before your edit was done. I didn't say there was an advantage, it's an aesthetic thing. I also said I didn't really mind, I still like my Fenrir.

Thanks for the manufacturing information though, that's what I was wondering about.
somewhereoveryonda 20th May 2010, 16:26 Quote
When does this come on sale?
Arj12 23rd May 2010, 01:31 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereoveryonda
When does this come on sale?

Yes, I'd be interested to by one myself as my current arctic cooler freezer pro is VERY Noisy!
tcool93 23rd May 2010, 08:57 Quote
I had first seen this Titan Fenrir cooler on another website. I kind of wanted to get it because I loved how it looked, with the colors. Although I've since changed my mind... when you look closer at the photos, the "paint" or whatever it is they use to color it, you can see is scraped or rubbed off certain parts of the cooler. It loses its looks when its like that.

I assume the paint must come off easy.
Raptor77 23rd May 2010, 09:47 Quote
The Evo review says it's anodised. My Christmas Edition doesn't have any scratches.
Cyberpower-UK 20th October 2010, 17:45 Quote
Been testing one of these against a Coolermaster 212 Plus.

H212 Plus = 78C
Fenrir Low Speed = 92C
Fenrir High Speed = 81C

Tested on a Sabretooth X58 with i7 930 @ 4GHz and 12GB 1333MHz XMS2 OC'd to ~1530MHz on an open bench: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1171/5098678823_34f21ec090_z.jpg

I had three attempts before the mounting worked properly when I added some washers (from a different cooler). All in all average performance for a tower cooler.

It looks nice with the gold grandad stripe and logo and the anodised finish is good and kind of changes colour depending on the angle but that would be lost once it was installed in a case.
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums
Asus Z97i-Plus Review

Asus Z97i-Plus Review

20th October 2014

Asus ROG Gladius Review

Asus ROG Gladius Review

15th October 2014