I need something to get my teeth into

Posted on 11th Apr 2009 at 12:33 by Antony Leather with 17 comments

Antony Leather
So PC gaming isn’t dead. To be honest I’ve known that for a while. Even though previous reports had it supposedly well behind console gaming (mainly because they forgot a little genre called MMO, duh), those of us who are lucky enough to have a half decent PC with a broadband connection are usually aware there are things like Steam, and free online games like Desktop Tower Defence that more often than not, occupy way too much of our time to even think about giving any of the current generation of consoles a second glance.

However something is missing. Actually there are two things missing, the first being Microsoft’s Flight Simulator series that got axed in quite spectacularly unpopular fashion back in January. Idiots. The second is, well, a game that I can really get my teeth into to, really.

Left 4 Dead is okay for a few weeks but the shocking attitude of many online players leaves me with a pretty sour taste in my mouth in about 90% of games. Maybe the forthcoming expansion pack will cheer people up a bit (come on guys it’s only a game, we were all noobs back in November last year!).

I know there are plenty of other new, high profile PC games around at the moment, but none has really become a personal favourite. My tastes restrict me primarily to FPS, and flight and racing simulators. Empire: Total War and Fallout 3 for example have been popular in the office in recent months and James blogged about being addicted to Silent Hunter 4, with plenty more around even for a casual fling. But I tend to play only one maybe two games during any two or three month period, and I’ll play them hard and for months on end, however I need to be hooked and this just hasn’t been happening recently.

In fact the last game I was playing consistently for more than a few months was probably Battlefield 2. Which is why last weekend I decided to fire it up again, and guess what? I had the best evening’s gaming I’ve had in a long time, and that was just running a dedicated server with my brother and a few dozen bots thrown into the mix.

Maybe it’s working where I do that somehow helps to expose all the flaws in games I might not otherwise notice. However it seems to me that very few games are ‘getting it right’ at the moment. I mean all I need are half decent graphics, a plausible plot and a good online experience and I’m happy as a sandboy. It seems either games look great but need three grand’s worth of PC to run, or their game play is so far-fetched or shallow that playing them is about as much fun as drowning kittens, in an arctic lake, when its snowing, and you’re wearing a bikini.

I need something to get my teeth into  I need some game addiction

It’s probably just me, but games like Battlefield 2 have great game play, are easy to run, look great and more importantly keep you playing with awards, score-based upgrades and stats systems. I even remember eagerly waiting for each patch to be released - something I haven't done since for any other game. I just hope 2009 can produce at least one such title that will get me addicted again.

Mankz 11th April 2009, 13:18 Quote
Battlefeild 2 was and still is an epic game...
GFC 11th April 2009, 15:15 Quote
I find COD4 very enjoyable, have you tried it?
Ending Credits 11th April 2009, 15:51 Quote
Still play BF2 and CoD4 myself although my connection is letting me down a bit.
Combatus 11th April 2009, 17:29 Quote
I did enjoy CoD4, Infact it's probably the only FPS bar Crysis/Warhead that I have really enjoyed in the last 12 months. The C-130 gun platform was epic! The short single player was better than online for me though - online was a bit too much of a nadefest most of the time, as such I never really got into it. Still, it's much better than World at War...
Combatus 11th April 2009, 17:30 Quote
I nearly forgot our zombie friends - I enjoyed Left for Dead too!
Jordan Wise 11th April 2009, 19:20 Quote
i've recently got into Warcraft III for the first time and absolutely loving it. The mods available for it are great too, particularly Footman frenzy and Enfos.
Rocket_Knight64 11th April 2009, 20:45 Quote
The long fabled BF2 1.5 patch public beta 'may' come out this month with some fixes. May be time to start polishing up your AK. :)
Combatus 11th April 2009, 22:04 Quote
Originally Posted by Rocket_Knight64

Oh really!? That's a tad overdue isn't it? :(
Red 5 11th April 2009, 23:12 Quote
Deus Ex?
naokaji 12th April 2009, 01:08 Quote
UT3 after the recent updates is actually fun to play online and the system requirements should not be that high anymore considering the age of the engine.
CptMorgans 12th April 2009, 23:19 Quote
Excellant blog and just exactly how I've felt for a long time. For me it was CS followed by BF2 over a period of years. No matter what day or time it was I could rely on friends being online. I've been thinking about dusting off BF2 for a while, maybe now is the right time.
Elton 13th April 2009, 04:51 Quote
I've been out of the FPS online thing for a while now..

Although playing Total War Online is great, and UT3 isn't bad either.
stoff3r 13th April 2009, 17:35 Quote
have clocked in around 400 hours of gametime in bf2, it was such a great game... now the servers suck mostly, Mec-only servers are gone (in norway) and is replaced by inf-only or karkand 24/7..
Combatus 13th April 2009, 22:31 Quote
I just checked my total and it stands at 702hrs... And it was worth it!!! I only played infantry only in the last few months I was playing it regularly. Once you get used to the street to street fighting as opposed to jet/tank ownage then it's great!
DraigUK 14th April 2009, 10:57 Quote
I feel exactly the same way. Have been playing CS (!) again to pass the time online until something decent comes along on the MMO scene. AoC was a bit of a disaster and Warhammer while great for a couple of months just didn't have the "something" to keep me hooked.

Been playing a great single player game called Mount & Blade (very good, especially with some of the mods for it) Hopefully the expansion that is coming up sometime later this year will give a good online fun as well.

A bit of DoW2 as well now and again (yet another disappointment overall) just to really keep me ticking over until something decent comes along that is not WoW.

What I am really missing is ONE, just ONE really good MMO that will keep me going for a few years, and some sort of combat flight sim. I am really hoping for a good one of those recently for some bizarre reason. Probably with nothing else decent around I am looking back and thinking of all the fun I had online playing EF2k and that WW2 Wireplay service all those years ago, Air Attack I think it was.

These are rather annoying times as a PC gamer I think, but your not alone!
yakyb 16th April 2009, 14:44 Quote
im sitting waiting for dragon age or possibly project offset to engross me

but im trying my best not to get my hopes up

MSI 970 Gaming Review