bit-tech.net

How AMD helped make Predators

Comments 1 to 22 of 22

Reply
crazyceo 8th July 2010, 10:23 Quote
I'll be watching the film tonight but nothing in this topic has made me want to see this film more. The big project CGI films have using farms to better effect like the sequences with Devastator in Transformers ROTF. Crap film but visually stunning. AMD don't have any major foot hold in this industry and it would be naive to think they have from this AMD PR.
[ZiiP] NaloaC 8th July 2010, 10:31 Quote
3rd film to feature Predator. I am being optimistic and assuming that you mean that this is the 3rd film where a Predator is the main extra-terrestrial and that certain "versus" style films shall not be mentioned. If this is the case, I applaud you....

If this is actually in referral to the "versus" piles of steaming faeces, then shame on you.
Lizard 8th July 2010, 11:09 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ZiiP
NaloaC]3rd film to feature Predator. I am being optimistic and assuming that you mean that this is the 3rd film where a Predator is the main extra-terrestrial and that certain "versus" style films shall not be mentioned. If this is the case, I applaud you.....

Indeed, the official bit-tech position is that the two more recent Vs films do not exist.
[USRF]Obiwan 8th July 2010, 11:15 Quote
Well to me it is:

Predator
Predator II
Predators

The original predator is still one of my favorites :)
[ZiiP] NaloaC 8th July 2010, 11:25 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard


Indeed, the official bit-tech position is that the two more recent Vs films do not exist.

*Phew* That is a genuine relief.

Indeed, Predator is one of my all-time favourite films. I am going to see this one on Saturday, but am going in with low expectations. There is a minigun, this help, along with Danny Trejo, but we'll see.

To compensate for the potential disaster that this could be, I am going to a re-release screening on Predator in the Screen cinema in Dublin on Monday :D
Ph4ZeD 8th July 2010, 11:37 Quote
You can safely ignore the two Versus films anyway as it's my understanding that Predators is a direct sequel to the first two Predator films.
Phil Rhodes 8th July 2010, 11:39 Quote
This is just a rehash of an AMD press release, and obviously so :)

Not a bad premise for the movie, though.
Hustler 8th July 2010, 11:59 Quote
Hmmm...

I was always under the impression that movies dont use PC Graphics card at all in their CGI....but use per pixel ray tracing like Cinebench packages which only make use of raw CPU power...because Gfx cards simply cant do accurate enough lighting in their rendering routines..
yakyb 8th July 2010, 12:12 Quote
i cant see the original ever being topped in my opinion Arnie at his very best
crazyceo 8th July 2010, 12:26 Quote
They are planning a "Dutch" cameo if any sequal comes out of it since Arnie shouldn't still be in office by then.
frontline 8th July 2010, 13:24 Quote
Interesting article, would be nice to have a more in-depth feature on workstation GPUs in general.
Dogbert666 8th July 2010, 13:42 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustler

I was always under the impression that movies dont use PC Graphics card at all in their CGI....but use per pixel ray tracing like Cinebench packages which only make use of raw CPU power...because Gfx cards simply cant do accurate enough lighting in their rendering routines..

The guy did confirm that ray tracing was used, but he didn't go into much detail about it.
leexgx 8th July 2010, 14:12 Quote
the video cards them selfs can do it with CAL (But Nvidia cards to it faster a bit at just 1FPS compared to 0.2FPS)
karx11erx 8th July 2010, 14:57 Quote
Shouldn't it be "How AMD helped *to* make Predators"?
BrightCandle 8th July 2010, 20:47 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustler
Hmmm...

I was always under the impression that movies dont use PC Graphics card at all in their CGI....but use per pixel ray tracing like Cinebench packages which only make use of raw CPU power...because Gfx cards simply cant do accurate enough lighting in their rendering routines..

One would presume that they use the graphics cards OpenCL API rather than direct rendering of a 3D scene. With an engine written appropriately it could run rendering on the CPU and GPUs with just a different compilation process for each pipeline.
hyperion 8th July 2010, 23:08 Quote
Haha they took the opening cinematic from quake 3 and made it into a movie! Just replace the vadrigar with predators and presto!
SmilerAl 9th July 2010, 00:40 Quote
I saw this today with two mates, we all hated it.
Krayzie_B.o.n.e. 9th July 2010, 06:07 Quote
it's good to see AMD reaching out and show what their products can do seeing how all mighty Intel is every where.

As far as Predators...No I won't be seeing this garbage until DVD as all the good action stars are in The Expendables. When are we gonna see "The Rock" fight the Predator with a good script?
dispie 9th July 2010, 12:54 Quote
O yeah gone check this one out for sure,

good cast nice trailer and not to much was spoiled mostly trailers show all the good parts and the rest sucks this one showed almost nothing of the action so yeah i wanne know how the humans get killed.
Star*Dagger 9th July 2010, 20:56 Quote
Yet another way in the many many ways that AMD/ATI is superior to the poor sods at nVidia!

Will nVidia ever catch up? I hope they start being competitive, a monopoly is not what we want.

,.

.,
TheBlackSwordsMan 10th July 2010, 06:44 Quote
I am disappointed....its worst than AVP2. Unatractive character, Unatractive Skill, crappy ending and what a RANDOM ending soundtrack ? God Damnit 10 buck trow away for nothing
lacuna 14th July 2010, 12:21 Quote
The fire and explosion effects in Predators were pretty awful really. The first film looked better and was better to watch.
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums