Mince Pie Megatest 2011

kinghaves 1st December 2011, 11:35 Quote
1st! Better head down to Landan for me mince pies then...
docodine 1st December 2011, 11:36 Quote
A+++ would read again

Is there going to be a mince pie podcast?
Bauul 1st December 2011, 11:39 Quote
Highlight of the Bit-Tech year!

Waitrose All-Butter for me, I'll be flbberghasted if I don't see the Bit-Tech seal of approval on the box from now on, it's clearly worth advertising such a prestigious achievement.
Jake123456 1st December 2011, 11:39 Quote
I've never tried a Mincepie...about time I did..
Combatus 1st December 2011, 11:42 Quote
If there are any mince pie fans out there, the Greggs ones are also worth a look. Sadly they weren't around when we did the test!
Krikkit 1st December 2011, 11:47 Quote
Shame! I'll repeat my claim that Lidl mince pies are up there with the finest, although I've yet to try this year's crop.

I'll have to give the Waitrose ones a try though, they look decent. A true bit-tech staple for the xmas season. :D
sakzzz 1st December 2011, 11:50 Quote
How do they OVERCLOCK....good ???
spaceman1 1st December 2011, 11:53 Quote
Home made are the best jest made 75 so far and dont think they will be around much longer with the kids
tyepye 1st December 2011, 11:54 Quote
Glad that the waitrose all butter won the approved award. Got a local one in town and it was getting a bit silly having to drive 15 miles to the nearest Marks and Sparks to get my mince pies for the last couple of years :p
TWeaK 1st December 2011, 11:58 Quote
Will definitely be popping to Waitrose to try their pies.

I think you should expand the mince pies test tbh, 10 just aren't enough. There aren't many Selfridges around the country, and most supermarkets have at least 2 own-brand versions. I know there was a reason given for Sainsbury's being absent, but I need more testing to be sure I'm getting the best pies!
tad2008 1st December 2011, 12:10 Quote
Looks like someone bet them to the testing, all the pie boxes are open and the Fortnum ones definitely has one missing!

Any chance of a review on Christmas Puddings? Have just bough a couple from my local co-op and can't wait to tuck in to them. Any suggestions on a good topping to pour over them?
Risky 1st December 2011, 12:10 Quote
DIY for me. I still have a couple of jars of mincemeat from last year. Alas my preferred shortcrust pastry recipie seems have disappered from the net so I'll have to use the fussier one from with icing sugar instead of caster....
barbary 1st December 2011, 12:13 Quote
Really is nobody going to say it.

But will they run Crysis?
xaser04 1st December 2011, 12:13 Quote
Thanks for including a Gluten Free option in your roundup. Unfortunately they are representative of gluten free breaded / Patry based products as a whole. Dry and lacking flavour but RAMMED with sugar and fat.

It is getting quite annoying to find decent Gluten free products that are also "healthy" (yay for heart/liver condition as well as being a Coeliac! ). Most products are either crap or very high in sugar.

One comment I would say though, sometimes the quality can vary from batch to batch. I have had Tesco (DS own brand) Gluten Free Apple pies before that have been lovely whilst others bought a few weeks after (same brand) were awful.
mighty_pirate 1st December 2011, 12:15 Quote
But can it play Crystmas?
JCBeastie 1st December 2011, 12:15 Quote
Waitrose All Butter

If you're planning a large Yuletide soiree, complete with mulled wine, cider and punch, you'll want a pie that's not too pricey but that'll stand up for itself on the palette. Look further, as these pies pack a fruit-peel punch that'll keep your guests happy. There's a generous amount of tasty, flavoursome filling and the pastry holds together well.

Look NO further maybe?

Marks and Spencer Classic

We usually look forward to the M&S Classics, as they've a strong track record of award-winning excellence. This is an off-year for the range though, as the pie tasted eggy and overcooked. The nugmeg highnotes might go nicely with a glass of eggnog, but the pie lacked punch and thus received a mediocre score.

Nutmeg maybe?

S'all I spotted. Merry Christmas Bit-Tubbies!
mighty_pirate 1st December 2011, 12:15 Quote
Originally Posted by barbary
Really is nobody going to say it.

But will they run Crysis?
Oh bugger. Beaten to it! ;)
Sensei 1st December 2011, 12:16 Quote
This is what its all about, this is why Im such an avid follower. The ultimate review of the year brought to us from the people who's opinions matter.
Legendary
Snips 1st December 2011, 12:19 Quote
Gutted for Marks and Spencer, they've been the best pie per pound for a few years and have lost their way this year. Here's hoping they come back strong next year otherwise without the competition Selfridges and Waitrose will just rip us off and put their prices up. I'll still be buying M&S this year anyway so I can support the little guy.
Zurechial 1st December 2011, 12:21 Quote
And now it's officially Christmas. Thanks bit-tech!
I'll just stick to eating the mince pies my mother makes for Christmas though - A home-build is always going to be better than a store-bought prebuilt, right? ;)
Orca 1st December 2011, 12:28 Quote
Nice article :p I guess I better stock up on Waitrose ones then :)
feathers 1st December 2011, 12:43 Quote
I am christmas party *******. I hate mince pies and hate turkey stuffing.
NetSphere 1st December 2011, 12:47 Quote
Y'know this all sounds great, but I reckon taste is really subjective. I would have to try them all out and decide which one's the best.

I mean, y'know, I also just want to test the quality. *ahem* It's not like I want to stuff my face. *ahem* It's PURELY from a scienfic point of view. And I'm sure I might not be the only one doing that.
Tongue-of-Fire 1st December 2011, 12:55 Quote
Nice roundup. My favourite right now are the ones with icing on the top which are £1.10 for 6 in Sainsbury's. I'm not really fussy otherwise but it's good to know where to go for some quality pies. :D
Glix 1st December 2011, 13:02 Quote
Some of those pies are almost as disappointing as bulldozer... too soon? :p