bit-tech.net

bit-tech's Christmas Wishlist

Comments 1 to 25 of 59

Reply
Flibblebot 6th December 2010, 11:20 Quote
Paul, mate, I don't know who you spoke to about HDTVs and BluRay players, but they were talking a complete load of hogswash (either that or you heard them wrong). Think about it: why would the BluRay player AND the TV both be upscaling? If the BluRay player upscales, it'll be outputting an HD signal, so there's no need for the TV to upscale. It's never a good idea to let the TV upscale, because most TV's idea of upscaling is the basic "stretch to fit" method. The player will contain more sensible scaling hardware that takes into account things like motion, brightness etc.

So, do me a favour and walk over to whoever gave you advice and give them a slap round the head from me? Ta :D

As for my Christmas wishlist, I'm sad to say that I really don't have one. I'm really struggling coming up with ideas for what my family can get me, and it's annoying the crap out of everyone!
WarrenJ 6th December 2010, 11:29 Quote
If I could pick one thing right now it would be either a 128GB SSD or GTX460. Yet to take the plunge in spending more than 100£ on a GFX card.

Most expensive i've spent money on was a Voodoo 3 3000 AGP which ran Half-Life like a trooper. (£98.99 special release offer)
wuyanxu 6th December 2010, 11:40 Quote
i think more PC exclusive is what all true PC gamer wants.

Dell U2711 is definitely worth every penny, even when it's at £900. it will probably be the monitor to keep for at least 10 years with its awesome colours and fantastic viewing angle. although a bit expensive to be on wishlist isn't it?

an ebook reader is also on my wishlist, ability to read vast amount of text without getting computer eyestrain is a huge advantage over tablets.
Shayper09 6th December 2010, 11:44 Quote
A pair of 6970's in crossfire :)

Honestly? I would like the only two things I feel my Pc lacks - water-cooling and an SSD
Spreadie 6th December 2010, 11:51 Quote
A sound-proof room, access to a wide range of power tools and Nick Clegg!

Oh, realistic wishes?

Ok, a GTX 580.
javaman 6th December 2010, 11:58 Quote
Great call guys!!

Last year I got a Dell 2209WA after seeing it recommended and loved the dual monitor goodness. Tempted to get another for eyefinity/nv surround but it means upgrading my GPU too and a bigger desk lol. My wish list this year is a quality racing wheel for Gran Turismo 5. Its enough to spur me to pick up grid and Rfactor on PC too to justify getting it.
Jipa 6th December 2010, 12:05 Quote
I'm planning on getting myself a couple of liters of booze. Should be enough to help imagine the rest of the merry christmas.
lacuna 6th December 2010, 12:27 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flibblebot
Paul, mate, I don't know who you spoke to about HDTVs and BluRay players, but they were talking a complete load of hogswash (either that or you heard them wrong).

Absolutely. Ditch the LG plan and get the best Pioneer player you can afford.

I would like a Sonos ZP90 and a subscription to Napster or Spotify please :)
erratum1 6th December 2010, 12:54 Quote
Nice monitor but ouch ! Thats too expensive for me.

And Harry please remember that a pussy is not just for christmas !
Draksis 6th December 2010, 12:56 Quote
20Tb more space, self built NAS if need be - just want the HDs.

plskthxbi :D
Ayrto 6th December 2010, 13:07 Quote
Whether it'll actually be a good game or not idk, but Battlefield 3 from Dice seems to meet all Harry's criteria even if it's not strictly speaking a" PC exclusive".

Dice say, it uses Frost bite 2 which is a, "built for DX11" engine, uses all DX11's feature set including Multi -threaded rendering, extensive use of compute shader, tessellation, and it offers native 64 bit support, making use of that >2GB extra memory.

According to Dice it will represent a huge leap for PC games, that will quote:"blow people away". certainly one for Bit to keep a watch on.
Arkanrais 6th December 2010, 13:17 Quote
I'd be happy if someone got me a samsung spinpoint f3 1TB drive, but my whole family is strapped for cash (new baby on one part, another part moving to aussie, and home repairs for the 3rd part).
pistol_pete 6th December 2010, 13:28 Quote
I'd like a gpu that's about £250, about as powerful as a gtx 480, and a bit less power hungry. And a waterblock.
GregTheRotter 6th December 2010, 13:29 Quote
Why the pioneer blu ray? I got the Sony BDPS370 from amazon for £100. Got excellent reviews everywhere you look. http://www.whathifi.com/BestBuys/Blu-ray-players-BestBuys/Blu-ray-players/

I'm thinking of upgrading from my 20" IPS NEC 20WGX2 to the 23" nec ips screen;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/NEC-Displays-MultiSync-EA231WMi-inch/dp/B002P4PXFQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291642035&sr=8-1

Really not sure though as I've got a glossy screen and the latter is not glossy.
mrbens 6th December 2010, 14:05 Quote
Awww I'd settle for that itteh bitteh kitteh! :)
standinwave 6th December 2010, 14:25 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuyanxu
i think more PC exclusive is what all true PC gamer wants.

Dell U2711 is definitely worth every penny, even when it's at £900. it will probably be the monitor to keep for at least 10 years with its awesome colours and fantastic viewing angle. although a bit expensive to be on wishlist isn't it?

an ebook reader is also on my wishlist, ability to read vast amount of text without getting computer eyestrain is a huge advantage over tablets.

I got a Dell U2711 for £599 from aria, but I don't know if they have any left
Yemerich 6th December 2010, 15:00 Quote
I don't need anything that a couple of million dollars couldn't buy.

As for what I really need? A good job would be great!
CharlO 6th December 2010, 15:00 Quote
I want less PC elusives.
runadumb 6th December 2010, 15:07 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by javaman
Great call guys!!

Last year I got a Dell 2209WA after seeing it recommended and loved the dual monitor goodness. Tempted to get another for eyefinity/nv surround but it means upgrading my GPU too and a bigger desk lol.

And get a new desk is exactly what I did :) I am getting 3 screen surround for Christmas. I got the desk, 3 2311H monitors (everything is setup) and now all I'm waiting on is the graphics card. Waiting for the 6970 too be released on the 13th. The wait is killing me haha! These 2 blank unused screens in front of me is torture.
If only the 580GTX supported 3 screens from a single card. Hurry up AMD!
StoneyMahoney 6th December 2010, 15:36 Quote
A job would be nice. The only work I've had this year was a 6-week temp contract for the local NHS IT helpdesk. The thought of spending another christmas unemployed is undeniably depressing.
Lamebot 6th December 2010, 15:47 Quote
20 comments and not one about Clive's wish for a fairytale Christmas with the Waltons ?
|V| 4 L k i 3 R 6th December 2010, 16:18 Quote
After reading the review, have 2 U2711s. Absolutely love them. Wish I had the money and space to get a third for Eyefinity and Grid.
Redbeaver 6th December 2010, 16:18 Quote
strapped for cash (thx New York trip) ill b happy with a USB3.0 external storage.

going higher, i also want a streamer with USB3 capabilities...
or a home server with streaming capabilities? hmm....

going lower, ill pick a decent GPS for the car...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlO
I want less PC elusives.

how do you get less than nothing, Scrooge?
Ending Credits 6th December 2010, 16:27 Quote
You've made an error,
Quote:
That and a kitten, which would also be cool.

Should be
Quote:
A cat is fine too
javaman 6th December 2010, 16:45 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by runadumb
And get a new desk is exactly what I did :) I am getting 3 screen surround for Christmas. I got the desk, 3 2311H monitors (everything is setup) and now all I'm waiting on is the graphics card. Waiting for the 6970 too be released on the 13th. The wait is killing me haha! These 2 blank unused screens in front of me is torture.
If only the 580GTX supported 3 screens from a single card. Hurry up AMD!

not long till the "what did you get for christmas thread?"
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums