bit-tech.net

The Age of the Web Hermit

Comments 1 to 25 of 26

Reply
BioSniper 17th July 2006, 13:55 Quote
Oh noes! Who is the PS player that plays in Renagade Legion then? :p
Ramble 17th July 2006, 14:16 Quote
Is this a rant from the people who run an online publication?
Firehed 17th July 2006, 14:30 Quote
<------ See updated title

'nuff said.

Can't say I've gone to online dating yet, but my gut tells me that anyone I meet through such a service would drive me nuts after a while, as they were actually looking to find someone through the internet instead of being out there. Just seems weird to me, so no offense if any of you are using it.
DaSuperFly 17th July 2006, 14:32 Quote
I just find real life more fun.
msm722 17th July 2006, 14:41 Quote
rea-life is like the most advanced mmorpg.
Xir 17th July 2006, 16:05 Quote
Hmmm...i can feel where the article leads us though...aren't we all getting a bit like internet hermits?

I've lost my at home internet connection about 6 weeks ago due to moving... (writing this in more-or-less public internet access)

How did I ever live without? When I want to buy something, how do I compare prices when not online? Half the things I buy i don't even know where to get except online!
I've gotten so used to online movie guides or TV guides i've lost the capability to research elsewhere!
:D (yes I still go the ancient institute of the cinema and don't leech exclusively)
I now actually have to go out *sigh* into a bar *sigh* and search for one of these free what's-hot-in-town newspapers to find out what movie runs where and then schlepp the paper drag home and store it. *doublesigh*

I walk ten minutes to just-go-and-check-an-email and then walk ten minutes back.

It's amazing how much Internet I need (or think to need?) now that it isn't just right there. :D
Veles 17th July 2006, 16:20 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by msm722
rea-life is like the most advanced mmorpg.

But without the dragons :( :p

It's true that you can forge some pretty close friendships with people online, especially in MMOGs. But then again it's the same as real life, you get people you are really good friends with, and then you get some backstabbing gits.

I'm not into the web 2.0 blogging stuff but I do enjoy online gaming alot, not as good as actually sitting on your sofa playing Halo with a few mates accidentally till 4am (it's happened, the "just one more game" syndrome) but it's better than playing by yourself.
Hovis 17th July 2006, 16:33 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioSniper
Oh noes! Who is the PS player that plays in Renagade Legion then? :p

Ahem.
Sifter3000 17th July 2006, 18:04 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovis
Ahem.

Er, Phil, you forgot to include your RealLife log-on name in your reply :D
BioSniper 17th July 2006, 18:50 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovis
Ahem.

OMG, Hovis as in ex Easy Company Hovis? :D
<< BioSniper from Easy Company
Now this is the last place I actually expected to see you :p
Hovis 17th July 2006, 19:01 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioSniper
OMG, Hovis as in ex Easy Company Hovis? :D
<< BioSniper from Easy Company
Now this is the last place I actually expected to see you :p

I am a loaf of many talents. Thought I recognised your name from the EC days. :)
scq 17th July 2006, 19:19 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramble
Is this a rant from the people who run an online publication?

Ironic satire? NO WAY!

I am a fan of the conveniences of the Internet, but unfortunately, it's taking over people's lives. Not just the Internet, but technological excess in general. Do people really need to SMS somebody who's 15 feet away? Text message bullying? Whatever happened to underwear over the head and lunch money extortions?
BioSniper 17th July 2006, 19:36 Quote
Hee hee, I still play ;)

Anywho, I digress.
Nice article if perhaps a little long for my tastes ;)
Kipman725 17th July 2006, 19:50 Quote
rember kids!

don't leach and the internet will be nice and freindly :D
Nature 17th July 2006, 22:43 Quote
To quote Strong Bad: "The internet is a place where absolutely nothing happens, and you need to take advantage of that."

Inffinite interactivity can only be found in "the flesh". With that said, nothing could ever replace a conversation with some chums at a show or party. I was teaching in China and Japan and the "hermit age" is present over there more than anywhere (almost matrix like where everyone is plugged in) and we are still far from an international army of goulish nerds.

You have to keep in mind that the mojority of the population on our planet doesn't need or use the information highway in they're day to day life. The internet will be present as long as there isn't nuclear or chem warfare. But that doesn't mean it's where everyones at or even wants to be. As long as MMOG's are lame, boring, and unclimactic we can expect people to still go swimming and play instruments and get laid.

If you've ever played CS, you might notice the average age of the competion. It's because after spending most of your life on a computer you realize that a level 60 character, an FX-62, or a quad GPU laptop isn't going to bring you inner peace.

This is a very well written article. The only sentence I sorta dissagree with is: "Spending too much time in World Of Warcraft is no different to spending all day fishing, or on the golf course, or working on your car or a million other distractions where a person can relax and do their own thing." People need sunlight and physical activity to some extent, hobby or not. I don't really consider golf, fishing, or mechanics sports but then again some amount of athleticism and physical cooridination is involved.

I love computers and online games, but they can only give me so much. I'm twenty years old but all I want is to a wife and kids and a teaching position at a university and I'm almost there. I'll always play video games, but never again will I depend on them for satisfaction.
chemo 17th July 2006, 23:14 Quote
great article, im suffering from web-hermitism at the moment. but im working on a cure
metarinka 18th July 2006, 00:03 Quote
yah the internet addiction seems to be getting pretty bad with my friends, easilly spending at least 3-4 hours every waking day playing WoW, I picked up the game just so I could talk to them, It's definately much more addictive then counter-strike in the fact that you really can quit cs after the round or the mapswitches or what not, but your WoW avatar seems to draw you into their little world of finding gear and running around and what not.
eddtox 18th July 2006, 00:11 Quote
Live on the hermit!!! BTweb Hermit clans for every game!!!
@Nature: There was a pic in a recent article of a guy with his PC in the garden :D

-ed out
Nature 18th July 2006, 02:17 Quote
@eddtox
A pc in a garden? Only if it was a lappy. Otherwise that's just retarded. :D

I'm sure that guy will have his pc out there in January...
glnsize 18th July 2006, 02:55 Quote
I'm all for online gaming, but I will say that when it comes to MMORPG. It has to stop at some point. The office where I work we recently lost four good techs to WOW. They got so interested in the game. That all they would do is come to work a talk about there avatar. Or some quest they went on, or some other meaning less CRAP! It's a sham really... btw these weren't kids the youngest one was 32.

Online shopping, banking, research, socializing... okay, but it should not be acceptable for someone to be consumed by the net. Its a tool NOT A LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dibbs 18th July 2006, 06:20 Quote
yeah, about that hermit thing...
im a hermit when not partying (basically when im broke and cant afford to do anything fun) which is most of the time lol
eddtox 18th July 2006, 09:26 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature
@eddtox
A pc in a garden? Only if it was a lappy. Otherwise that's just retarded. :D

I'm sure that guy will have his pc out there in January...

It was in a BT article (I can't find it now). The owner (?) of a gaming team said that he wanted to catch some sun when he was asked about it on the forums.

-ed out

EDIT: I found it! It was the guy from reason gaming and this was the picture in question.
Cthippo 18th July 2006, 11:52 Quote
I can't speak for anyone else, but from my perspective, real life sucks. I'll take the digital life any day.
CAL3H 19th July 2006, 19:03 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature
To quote Strong Bad: "The internet is a place where absolutely nothing happens, and you need to take advantage of that."

Inffinite interactivity can only be found in "the flesh". With that said, nothing could ever replace a conversation with some chums at a show or party. I was teaching in China and Japan and the "hermit age" is present over there more than anywhere (almost matrix like where everyone is plugged in) and we are still far from an international army of goulish nerds.

You have to keep in mind that the mojority of the population on our planet doesn't need or use the information highway in they're day to day life. The internet will be present as long as there isn't nuclear or chem warfare. But that doesn't mean it's where everyones at or even wants to be. As long as MMOG's are lame, boring, and unclimactic we can expect people to still go swimming and play instruments and get laid.

If you've ever played CS, you might notice the average age of the competion. It's because after spending most of your life on a computer you realize that a level 60 character, an FX-62, or a quad GPU laptop isn't going to bring you inner peace.

This is a very well written article. The only sentence I sorta dissagree with is: "Spending too much time in World Of Warcraft is no different to spending all day fishing, or on the golf course, or working on your car or a million other distractions where a person can relax and do their own thing." People need sunlight and physical activity to some extent, hobby or not. I don't really consider golf, fishing, or mechanics sports but then again some amount of athleticism and physical cooridination is involved.

I love computers and online games, but they can only give me so much. I'm twenty years old but all I want is to a wife and kids and a teaching position at a university and I'm almost there. I'll always play video games, but never again will I depend on them for satisfaction.

Nicely put mate. Definitely the angle I approach this from. Reading through the article though, I realise how much everyone takes the Internet for granted now. My broadband went down the other day and being unable to track my eBay auctions and keep in touch with friends from across the county I was left scratching my head-eventually deciding on an evening at the gym-and giving BT an earful).

:)
yodasarmpit 19th July 2006, 20:33 Quote
Real life has better graphics
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums