bit-tech.net

Windows gaming on MacBook Pro

Comments 1 to 25 of 25

Reply
Meanmotion 24th April 2006, 14:17 Quote
People actually play CS:S? :|
orb 24th April 2006, 14:55 Quote
Dr. Strangelove 24th April 2006, 14:55 Quote
Interesting, wonder how it will do in 6 months when the drivers have been polished.

BTW. Is it just me who thinks that a thinkpad looks even cooler than an iBook ? (what can I say, I like the solid look, compared to the flimsy (but stylish) Mac look)
Drexial 24th April 2006, 15:16 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove

BTW. Is it just me who thinks that a thinkpad looks even cooler than an iBook ? (what can I say, I like the solid look, compared to the flimsy (but stylish) Mac look)

an aluminum case doesnt look solid enough?

if you are specificly talking about the ibooks like you mentioned, the white ones, i still think they look and feel pretty solid.

i dont know how using the same core duo processor and same intel chipset, they expect to run windows better on a mac. the advantage that you have on a mac is that msot onboard video is below a x1600 on most notebooks.
Meanmotion 24th April 2006, 15:20 Quote
I'm surprised there's not more of a DOD:S presence in those stats - unlike CS, DOD actually translates well onto the source engine. Anyway, i'll stop being off topic now.
scq 24th April 2006, 15:55 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove
Interesting, wonder how it will do in 6 months when the drivers have been polished.

BTW. Is it just me who thinks that a thinkpad looks even cooler than an iBook ? (what can I say, I like the solid look, compared to the flimsy (but stylish) Mac look)

I'll agree with you. iBooks, while being fairly stylish and minimilist, are quite cheap looking, and feel worse. They are fairly solid, but they scratch easily. I have little experience with a ThinkPad, but I have come to appreciate their timeless design - even if it is square, black, and authoritarian.
Callum 24th April 2006, 16:12 Quote
Ah! So it's not just me that doesn't understand what on earth people are going on about when they talk about the Macs looking so much better... I've always been scratching my head and wondering if Malaysian versions were different... :P
mookboy 24th April 2006, 16:39 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by scq
iBooks, while being fairly stylish and minimilist, are quite cheap looking, and feel worse.

Which version are you talking about? I have a G4 iBook and it's built like a tank. It's been bashed, dropped, stood on, squashed and thumped and it's not even sporting a decent scratch on it. And it still looks (after almost 4yrs) like new.

However...

...I am now in the market for a MacBook Pro ^_^ I'm considering selling off my PC as the only game of any consequence that it's been used for in the last year has been WoW.
wafflesomd 24th April 2006, 16:42 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanmotion
People actually play CS:S? :|

People actually play CS 1.6? :|

Move on, 1.6 is a broken old game.


Anyways, whats stopping ppl from calling mac's pc's?
automagsrock 24th April 2006, 17:28 Quote
Hmm, sub-par gaming performance. Over Priced. Only useful if you like MAC software.

You'd think for the price it'd have at least an X1800 mobile GPU. I mean hell, I can go get a $1000 Dell that will walk all over this in gaming and a few other tasks. I guess I just don't see where the allure of MACs comes from, 'cept from the stylishly good-looking case design...





Sign me up!!
LAGMonkey 24th April 2006, 17:39 Quote
Id still rather spend my money on an Thinkpad. Timeless design and i like my laptops being able to take the punishment of travel. But nice idea tho, just a shame that the driver support is a bit lacking atm. Although that will get better in time.

Class review thing there Bit-Tech ;)
greensabbath 24th April 2006, 17:47 Quote
I was worried there for a second that the mac book pro would actually have good gaiming and i'd have to get one to replace my powerbook g4, but thankfully, it sucks enough to be content with just my pc desktop for games, thank you bit-tech

Oh, the ibook is kinda iffy looking but the powerbook looks much better, very pretty
Firehed 24th April 2006, 18:53 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by wafflesomd
People actually play CS 1.6? :|

Move on, 1.6 is a broken old game.
Hahaha, watch out for the fanbois!

From what I've read up on, your numbers seem to be a bit on the low side. However I think a lot of people have popped on ATITool and clocked the GPU back up to what it should be. That and they just go by 'playably smooth' (which is all you really need) and not 'X fps'. In all reality, Oblivion will probably look better on an MBP for me than it does now, since I turned down eye candy to make 1680x1050 generally-playable on a 6800GT (which is quite far down).
Nath 24th April 2006, 19:05 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by automagsrock
I mean hell, I can go get a $1000 Dell that will walk all over this in gaming and a few other tasks.

A Dell which would run OS X as well as the MacBook runs Windows?
Tulatin 24th April 2006, 21:13 Quote
You'd be a narf to load OS-X onto your x1800'd Dell in hopes of prime gaming.
Fod 24th April 2006, 21:21 Quote
i got a macbook pro. when you overclock the GPU to decent levels (i got mine past 400 without a sweat), the 3d performance is pretty decent.

why didn't you put benchmarks up at overclocked specs? it'd be a slightly fairer comparison.
evanbraakensiek 24th April 2006, 21:31 Quote
TBH

Point A - woo my game is top 5 (ET :D )
Point B - If you want style go for a Sony Vaio (x-Black really does "pone" all)
Point C - Buy a dell and put OSX on it ? WTF :| Linux or Free BSD my friends. Mac's are overpriced hardware wise but software is ok.
wafflesomd 24th April 2006, 21:48 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehed
Hahaha, watch out for the fanbois!

From what I've read up on, your numbers seem to be a bit on the low side. However I think a lot of people have popped on ATITool and clocked the GPU back up to what it should be. That and they just go by 'playably smooth' (which is all you really need) and not 'X fps'. In all reality, Oblivion will probably look better on an MBP for me than it does now, since I turned down eye candy to make 1680x1050 generally-playable on a 6800GT (which is quite far down).


Yah, I was thinkin about that, I thought I read somewhere that Mac's Gpu's were underclocked and ppl were putting them at stock w/out heat problems.
speedfreek 24th April 2006, 23:00 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callum
Ah! So it's not just me that doesn't understand what on earth people are going on about when they talk about the Macs looking so much better... I've always been scratching my head and wondering if Malaysian versions were different... :P
Nope, I heard that they were much more portable than most but seeing that they are so overpriced for their performance, I still wont touch a mac.
Quote:
Theres a lot of valve games on that list, and people still play quake 2.
sadffffff 25th April 2006, 03:06 Quote
its underclocked because of heat and power consumption. i think it knocked 30 min off the battery when you clock it back to normal. and it got too hot to touch in that thin little aluminum case. simply, i think there was a good reason apple decided on the clocks they did.
seebul 25th April 2006, 18:02 Quote
Cool review, i dont know what everyone is talking about though when they are comparing mac design to Thinkpad???
Wtf? Those thinkpads are ugly as hell. And the ibooks are pretty strong machines, ive dropped mine off desks and stuff and its still perfect lots of light scratches on it but thats it.

And why would you still play Cs1.6? Its so boring compared to source.
Lo Pan 25th April 2006, 22:55 Quote
Your Dell will walk all over the MBP, is it a laptop? Can it run OSX without hacking it? Do you truly need the x1800 graphics as compared to the x1600? Didn't think so.

Also, My Systemax will walk all over your Dell, it doesn't really matter that much. The idea behind gaming on the MacBook is that you can game REASONABLY on the mac, Macs have trouble with heat I believe, after using one it was blazin' after an hour or so with the stock enhancement. I added a twin-12cm cooler to it to fix this, but it's still really hot with no ventilation on it WHATSOEVER.

Also, you overclocking a dell does not make the Dell good.

</troll>
slavik 26th April 2006, 03:48 Quote
Mac = Macintosh = Operating System
Apple was also one of the first (if not THE first) to make PC (Personal Computer) along with IBM and Radioshack.

Now then. An Apple system, much like a Dell system or an HP system that you see on a desk in someone's home is a PC.

IMO, there is no such thing as a "Not PC Mac system" unless you are talking about some server or super computer that is running the Macintosh OS.

As for Windows running in OSX.

There are Linux distributions that run on Apple systems. There is also Wine. Not to mention that OSX has FreeBSD roots and Apple needs to simply work on Wine. VMware runs on OSX, too, I believe.

Getting anything to run in environments it does not understand is no new thing.
Firehed 26th April 2006, 05:09 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek
Theres a lot of valve games on that list, and people still play quake 2.

Tell me they're Amish. Please.
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums