Don MacDonald - Intel talks Viiv

rupbert 13th February 2006, 12:28 Quote
Nice interview, well thought out questions and answered thoroughly.

I disagree with the question on Movie Studios. With the advent of legally downloadable films, especially those that are available at the same time of the theatre release, I think 'going out to the cinema' will quickly become a thing of the past.

I myself over the last 2 years have stopped going to the cinema every weekend; preferring to wait 3 months until the dvd release even for 'blockbusters'. Having the facility to download a movie in high quality (another subject), on or much nearer the theatrical release date is imho something many people will take too much quicker than most people seem to think. Reason?

iTunes. As of last year some 500m songs have been bought; the market for downloadable entertainment already exists.
eek 13th February 2006, 13:08 Quote
Originally Posted by rupbert
Nice interview, well thought out questions and answered thoroughly.

I still love going to the cinema! Sure I do buy a lot of DVDs and have most of the films I want on my computer, but the experience I get is nowhere near as impressive as the one I get in the cinema. Some films are just amazing on a huge screen with a decent surround sound system!
rupbert 13th February 2006, 13:20 Quote
Perhaps it's because I have an excellent home cinema setup at home I don't miss the experience; fair point.
Er3l 13th February 2006, 16:06 Quote
I for one, can see Viiv becoming mainstream in the future and the average homes ordinarily having a Viiv system in the lounge, ready for a family get-together, for some digital entertainment at the end of the week.
It's hard to see what AMD have planned with their LIVE to stand a fair competition between Intel's Viiv.
I_Slider_I 13th February 2006, 18:43 Quote
Well with regards to this signaling the end to the cinima, I think the cinima will likely have to evolve to keep up with changes in technology. But I don't see the cinima dissapearing altogether, around here cinimas started showing sporting events a little while ago, with excellent turn outs for events that you could watch for free from home, some people don't like going to bars (or possibly aren't old enough) but they still want to be able to go out with their buddies and enjoy the big screen experiance, with the crowd environment, and good sound system.
Rich_13 13th February 2006, 19:17 Quote
thats actually a very clever idea^
Veles 13th February 2006, 21:47 Quote
Well people would go to the cinema more often (and download illegal screeners less) if the cinema prices were less expensive (at least my local View is). Its a vicious circle, they bumped up the prices so less people went to the cinema and chose to either download it, rent it or watch it on TV, so cinemas got less money so put the prices up more.

Not very clever.

As for Viiv, I have little clue about what is actually is (is it like Tivo?).
NoMercy 13th February 2006, 23:02 Quote
I like the cinema, none near me, and in many ways that's a good thing given my opinions on modern films and music, geez I'm getting old and I'm not even 25 yet.
customh 14th February 2006, 00:51 Quote
Id like to see what slider is talking about happen around here (in the US where we always get stuff last, case in point- WiMax) sporting events (super bowl, world series, etc.) on big screen surround would be nice for the younger crowd and would be profitable, seeing as they are going to digital projecters anyway in the theatres.